Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=430)
-   -   Fermentation support thread :D (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=415314)

Punkie 07-10-2011 08:24 AM

Re: Fermentation support thread :D

Subbing to this thread :)

I have water kefir going, but that's just about it. I will probably start some dilly carrots today.

ETA: Oh, wait, and I have yogurt going too :grin

Thankfulforgrace 07-10-2011 09:18 AM

Subbing and a question...

So my pickles have all sorts of mold :sick it's on top of the leaves. Should I through it out? I'm having a hard time finding stuff to put over them to weigh things down...

sweetpeasmommy 07-10-2011 09:34 AM

You want to keep those carrots and pickles submerged. The best way I have found is a ziploc bag with water in it on top.

AngelaVA 07-10-2011 09:41 AM

Bananacake your photos in the blog look wonderful!

I just started 3 quart jars of pickles. Is it okay that they are fit in there fairly tightly? They sure look pretty, I hope they turn out. I did two more jars of sauerkraut too, this time I'll let them go for longer.

Is there such a thing as fermented salsa? The farm market near me sells imperfect tomatoes every monday for 50 Cents a pound - I think I'm going to do some spaghetti sauce and either can or freeze it but I was also wondering if there is something that could be fermented using tomatoes.

My family has rated the beet kavass as two passionate thumbs down. I'm going to drink it though. I wonder if there is anything I could add it too that's supposed to be salty to sneak it in?

Thankfulforgrace 07-10-2011 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetpeasmommy (Post 4024331)
You want to keep those carrots and pickles submerged. The best way I have found is a ziploc bag with water in it on top.

That's heavy enough? I love how simple that is!!

sweetpeasmommy 07-10-2011 10:09 AM

I know it seems too easy. :lol

Angela, there is a lactofermented salsa recipe in the GAPS recipes by stage sticky.

Soliloquy 07-10-2011 11:19 AM

Fermented salsa is AMAZING! NT has a recipe, I'm sure other places do, too

Abbi, I would start by fermenting veggies you already eat-- cucumber, cabbage, onions, garlic. When you feel ready to try carrots, fermented ones will have less sugar than non, so that would be the way to start. IIRC you don't react to methanol so that part should be fine.

---------- Post added at 01:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:14 PM ----------

I'm buying a few of these http://www.pickl-it.com/products/bundles/ because my life is so maxed out right now.

---------- Post added at 01:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:17 PM ----------

Abbi you already know you like fermented red cabbage, make some of that goodness! :yum

sweetpeasmommy 07-10-2011 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetpeasmommy (Post 4023581)
:help I made some lactofermented applesauce and I *think* it said 3 days. I know it's hot here, but it's been 2 days. When I tasted it yesterday it was delicious. Today it tastes like alcohol. Given C's previous ability to convert ALL sugars even fruit to alcohol in the brain, I don't want him to eat that even if he would. If I let it go another day, will the alcohol be gone or is it a lost cause?

Lisa, :poke I was hoping you would know the answer to this. :heart

AngelaVA 07-10-2011 11:30 AM

Oh, one more question. I could easily go crazy making this stuff with all the produce available this time of year but then, doesn't it have to go in the fridge? In other words, I'm limited to how much I make by how much fridge space I have right? It's not like hot water or pressure canning where I can put it on the pantry shelves and store if for a year is it?

Soliloquy 07-10-2011 11:31 AM

I've never fermented fruit. I would imagine it would go really fast because the apples are mashed. Did you refrigerate it or leave it out after tasting?

sweetpeasmommy 07-10-2011 11:32 AM

I left it out.

Soliloquy 07-10-2011 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelaVA (Post 4024500)
Oh, one more question. I could easily go crazy making this stuff with all the produce available this time of year but then, doesn't it have to go in the fridge? In other words, I'm limited to how much I make by how much fridge space I have right? It's not like hot water or pressure canning where I can put it on the pantry shelves and store if for a year is it?

You can pressure can them and lose the probiotic quality but it wil still be very nourishing. If your basement is cool, I think you can keep them down there but check before eating. I bet if you ask one of the TF bloggers you'd get an answer.

DancingWithElves 07-10-2011 02:57 PM

interwebs ate my reply :pout

I was saying, that mold is normal on pickles :) skim it off, rinse the weight, and carry on.

Thankfulforgrace 07-10-2011 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DancingWithElves (Post 4024938)
interwebs ate my reply :pout

I was saying, that mold is normal on pickles :) skim it off, rinse the weight, and carry on.

Even if it's a lot? What if I have yeast issues? I'm just worried. thanks!!

bananacake 07-10-2011 03:15 PM

I've never had mold on anything when I use quart jars. I don't weigh it down either.

I love fermented salsa! You do not need to peel or seed the toms (can you tell I'm super low maintenance? :giggle)
Posted via Mobile Device