Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=421)
-   -   Remind me about Ted Tripp (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=510801)

MudPies 12-29-2014 11:38 AM

Remind me about Ted Tripp

Someone in an adoption group reccomended him for gentle non-spanking parenting. He's punitive, right? Links? Comments? I have not read his
book.

Pragmatist 12-29-2014 11:43 AM

Re: Remind me about Ted Tripp

There's a good book review here somewhere. Not on my computer so can't link. I think MarynMunchkins did it. Shepherding a Child's heart or might be abbreviated SACH.

rjy9343 12-29-2014 11:43 AM

I can't link from my husband's tablet, but you are right. He promotes spanking until sweet and bare bottom spanking. I almost certain there is a review sticky in this forum on Shepherding a Child's Heart. Kirk Cameron endorses him as well if that carries any weight.

forty-two 12-29-2014 11:48 AM

Tripp not only is punitive, but he says that God works spiritual changes in a child's heart through spanking :sick:banghead. I wrote a couple of blog posts on it:

The Rod as a Means of Grace: http://lutherama.blogspot.com/2007/0...-of-grace.html
More on Tripp and Spanking: http://lutherama.blogspot.com/2007/1...-spanking.html

Hermana Linda 12-29-2014 11:51 AM

I have a number of posts about him here.

Posted from my mobile phone by Tapatalk

Soliloquy 12-29-2014 01:04 PM

Oh gosh, his writings are awful. :cry The worst of it (IMO) is that the title of his book sounds so wonderful. :cry

forty-two 12-29-2014 08:06 PM

I will say, having just skimmed through Tripp's newer book, Instructing a Child's Heart, that taken on its own, it's really not punitive. "Corrective discipline" is very de-emphasized (one section of one chapter), and has a correspondingly small purpose (to underscore the importance of upholding God's law, with a focus on making restitution to those hurt, and where the importance is primarily taught by, well, *teaching*); also, I don't think spanking comes up once - certainly doesn't in the bit on corrective discipline, which talks about natural and logical consequences. Tbph, if Tripp's name wasn't attached to it, I think the content would be generally unobjectionable here :shifty:shrug:

He talks about coming alongside our children, about the root of discipline being disciple, about the importance of confessing our own struggles with sin, about the importance of living out what we are teaching our kids, about the centrality of the Gospel and God's mercy and grace, about the spiritual poverty and pragmatism of behaviorism, about the danger of focusing on outward behavior, about the vital importance of teaching in calm moments. In fact, one of the main thrusts of IaCH is formative instruction - intentional teaching and discipling as a way of life, not just as part of correcting misbehavior when it occurs. And the vast majority of what he wrote on dealing with misbehavior is helping the child learn to see the root causes of their misbehavior.

And yet, I do not agree with all he writes. I think he comes so very close and yet remains so very far. I sympathize with and appreciate his desire to have everything about parenting be informed by a Biblical ethic rooted in the Gospel. Too many Christian parents, including me, are effectively practical atheists :bag, with an extremely limited vision of what it means to live out our faith. We don't know what we don't know, and our post-Christian culture has filled in the gaping holes in our ethics without our even noticing :(. And Tripp has a well-thought-out, thoroughly-theologically-informed, intentionally-Gospel-centric vision of the practical out workings of Christian doctrine in parenting, that really does deal with the central issues - and that is exceedingly rare. I can see why people see it as a breath of fresh air - it addresses the sense that there must be more to Christian parenting than secular techniques plus teaching the faith. Tripp provides a comprehensive vision of living the Christian life, one that is Gospel-centered, and portrays parenting as initiating our kids into that life we ourselves lead, guiding them along the same path we ourselves are walking. (In IaCH he explicitly talks about coming alongside our kids and acknowledging our struggles with sin, having an us-vs-sin attitude instead of parent-vs-child, which is something I've promoted myself.)

It's a compelling view of parenting, and one that I largely share - it's just that his vision of what it means to live the Christian life is wrong. And that's because he gets *the* central issue - the Gospel - wrong, which screws up the rest :shrug.

What I most like about his book - that he roots parenting in living out the Christian life; that he looks at what is the Biblical end, Biblical goal, of life, and makes that the goal of parenting: to teach our children to live out a Biblical life while doing so ourselves; and that he roots that life in the Gospel - is also what I most dislike. Because I disagree with him on what is the chief end of man, and for all that he holds the Gospel as central, I don't think he holds it as central *enough*.

He teaches that the chief end of man is to glorify God; I believe the chief end of man is to love our neighbor through living out our vocations. He holds that the Gospel is central because it is the source of our forgiveness and that we never stop needing God's grace and mercy (I agree); yet he doesn't see our spiritual growth as coming from God's forgiving grace, but rather our grace-empowered actions in meditating on God's glory and choosing to follow His law - that is what draws us closer to God. However, I see the Gospel as central not only for our justification but also for our sanctification and spiritual growth; we rest in God (a major theme of his wrt the goal of the Christian life) not by meditating on God's glory and the works of His hands in creation but by confessing our sins and resting in the forgiveness won for us in Christ. The Gospel doesn't just save us - the Holy Spirit does *everything* for us and in us *through* the Gospel.

MariJo7 12-30-2014 04:22 AM

Perhaps Ted Tripp has silently changed his mind about spanking. I have even read something about it in the archives of this forum. It would, however, be honest and right if he would openly admit he has changed his mind, if he has done so. His "spanking manuals" are very damaging and dangerous. It does not help much if he just writes a better sequel to them.

forty-two 12-30-2014 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MariJo7 (Post 5863758)
Perhaps Ted Tripp has silently changed his mind about spanking. I have even read something about it in the archives of this forum. It would, however, be honest and right if he would openly admit he has changed his mind, if he has done so. His "spanking manuals" are very damaging and dangerous. It does not help much if he just writes a better sequel to them.

Yeah, I am fairly baffled at how to reconcile SACH and IaCH. The only reference in IaCH is an oblique one in the preface, about how "instructing a child's heart is essential to shepherding a child's heart". That *could* be an implicit renunciation - let IaCH supersede SACH - but, yeah, ITA that if he means it that way he needs to make it explicit. (And imo, quit selling SACH entirely, or at least renounce it entirely and publicly, if he has no control of whether the publisher stops selling it.)

Because a sidebar in IaCH offers a way to *harmonize* them :sick. The approach in IaCH requires a certain level of maturity in thought processes and communication skills, and he says in the sidebar that a 2yo, for example, isn't capable of it. The sidebar then basically advocates GBD-style intervention, along with introducing the vocabulary and concepts to preschoolers, to begin the teaching process. It's quite excellent, actually, and really doesn't leave any room for SACH-style spanking - *unless* you already know of SACH and are trying to figure out how to combine them. In which case you could figure that *IaCH* is for children who are saved, and *SaCH* is for children who haven't been saved :sick.

I'm nearly certain Tripp doesn't intend that at all, because in another change between the two books, in IaCH he is extremely open to the idea of young children being able to be saved, to have a real relationship with God - in fact, he explicitly defends it. And the whole book is written with the implied assumption that children of Christian parents are fellow believers - I assume this position myself, so I didn't really register it until now. Because that is a sharp difference from his position in SACH, where he sees young children of Christian parents as being unregenerate until they made a decision for Christ, and in fact spanking is seen as God's particular provision to spiritually affect the hearts of children too young to cognitively understand (and so "make a decision for Christ") :sick. A *huge* part of Christian parenting in SACH is focused on parenting kids to "prepare them" for salvation :banghead. Tripp's changed a lot, and for the better.

So, yeah, Tripp needs to clarify his position - because right now IaCH is billed as the "sequel" to SACH, and both are sold, like they go together, and IaCH taken alone is a much different beast to IaCH interpreted in light of SACH :shrug.

JoannaV 12-30-2014 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by forty-two (Post 5863645)
I believe the chief end of man is to love our neighbor through living out our vocations.

Do you have a recommendation for something I could read on this subject?

forty-two 12-30-2014 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoannaV (Post 5863847)
Do you have a recommendation for something I could read on this subject?

A good intro to vocation is God at Work: Your Christian Vocation in All of Life, by Gene Edward Veith, Jr.: http://www.amazon.com/God-Work-Redes...dp/1433524473/

For a more in depth look, the classic work on vocation in English is Luther on Vocation, by Gustaf Wingren: http://www.amazon.com/Luther-Vocatio...dp/1592445616/

Probably unnecessary blatherings :shifty (plus another book rec at the end of the blathering; the rec needs the blathering for context, although the book does not):

Kiara.I 01-14-2015 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MariJo7 (Post 5863758)
Perhaps Ted Tripp has silently changed his mind about spanking. I have even read something about it in the archives of this forum. It would, however, be honest and right if he would openly admit he has changed his mind, if he has done so.

I'm thinking he has not. I was hopeful, reading forty-two's review. But given that he's scheduled to give a workshop entitled, "
Overview of Corrective Discipline: Spanking, Sowing & Reaping, & Communication", for which part of the description is, "First, the book of Proverbs makes a case for spanking, especially for small children. We provide clear guidelines for physical discipline that are gracious and kind."

I think we can assume that his view is still that spanking is necessary. Unfortunately.

rjy9343 01-14-2015 05:58 PM

I agree that he has not quietly changed his mind. From what little I know of the man, he is a man of integrity who would feel honor bound to explain why his views were wrong.

forty-two 01-14-2015 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiara.I (Post 5869875)

I'm thinking he has not. I was hopeful, reading forty-two's review. But given that he's scheduled to give a workshop entitled, "
Overview of Corrective Discipline: Spanking, Sowing & Reaping, & Communication", for which part of the description is, "First, the book of Proverbs makes a case for spanking, especially for small children. We provide clear guidelines for physical discipline that are gracious and kind."

I think we can assume that his view is still that spanking is necessary. Unfortunately.

:(

---------- Post added at 07:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:56 PM ----------

Idk, I just don't get it. At all.

---------- Post added at 08:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:59 PM ----------

I went back and did a search for the word "spank" and "spanking" in IaCH, to see if I missed something, and there was *nothing* - literally *zero* mentions. While in SaCH spank/spanking is mentioned *117* times :sick. Just. don't. get. it.

---------- Post added at 08:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:19 PM ----------

Out of curiousity, is the date on that conference recent? Just asking because when I googled it, I found that it was a session title from his IaCH seminar :sigh, but all the results were from 2011 and earlier. And on his website, that session is just titled "Corrective Discipline" - maybe he changed it? Or maybe he saves the full title for the actual seminar :sigh. Heck, even his SaCH seminar desciptions don't actually mention spanking :hunh. Though he has a few videos on his site with spanking in the title (dealing with the "spanking controversy" (posted in 2011) and spanking out of an abused past).

But those two videos are the *only* times spanking is mentioned on that site :hunh (ran a search on it). I agree that he seems to be "a man of integrity and would be honor bound to explain why his views were wrong" :yes, yet the word "spanking" is increasingly not to be found in his material??? :scratch It seems inconsistent with him being a man of integrity to just be avoiding mentioning spanking overtly/publicly while teaching the same as ever, kwim? But he *is* mentioning it less than he used to - why?

(Sorry for all my befuddled and flabbergasted flailing around :shifty - just processing trying to find a way to make sense of the available evidence :think.)

Eta: seriously, how does a man go from "spanking is mandatory" and 117 mentions in his first book to literally zero mentions in his second book without having undergone some sort of change in thinking????? :ph

Kiara.I 01-14-2015 08:07 PM

Unfortunately yes, this is the upcoming 2015 Christian homeschooling conference in Washington. It was mentioned in a different thread, and I read some of the session descriptions, and then remembered this thread. :(

---------- Post added at 07:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:06 PM ----------

:shrug I don't know what's going on either. It does seem that he's at least putting less focus on spanking in his materials now (which is GREAT!) But if he's still giving workshops on why and how to... :sigh