Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=430)
-   -   Seafood (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=526562)

charla 01-18-2019 12:07 PM

Seafood

My doctor wants me to follow a gluten free Mediterranean diet. I do well with it and then I don't. :doh One of the tenants of the diet is to eat seafood at least two times a week. For someone who only tolerates the taste of one kind of fish (tilapia) that makes it pretty difficult. I know part of that is that we can't really get any good quality fish in my area. I have access to fairly affordable frozen tilapia, salmon, shrimp, tuna, and flounder at Aldi.

So what are your tried and true extremely yummy seafood dishes? Please share recipes that you think will change my mind about the taste of fish.

MudPies 01-18-2019 12:14 PM

Re: Seafood

Flounder is also a very mild fish. My faves are cedar plank grilled, baked with garlic butter, or blackened. Oh! Or fish tacos or add cajun spices with black beans and rice. Not sure which is on your diet lol. One way we love to do fish is what we call fish packs. We put fish on a baking sheet pan in individual tin foil bowls. Then each family member adds the spices they feel like- and then I bake it. This works for the grill too.

charla 01-18-2019 12:29 PM

The Mediterranean diet doesn't really eliminate any foods (except that I personally can't have gluten or eggs or anything in the alfalfa family). The foods are on a pyramid with sweets and red meat at the top only eaten occasionally, poultry and dairy eaten a little more frequently, and seafood eaten twice a week or more. Veggies, fruit, healthy oils, whole grains, legumes, and nuts are at the bottom and eaten every day.

What spices, seasonings help get rid of that awful fishy taste? I once had fresh-caught fish in Seattle and loved every single bite of it because it didn't taste fishy. I don't have that luxury here in Oklahoma, unfortunately, at least that I've found.

---------- Post added at 01:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:26 PM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by MudPies (Post 6168659)
Flounder is also a very mild fish. My faves are cedar plank grilled, baked with garlic butter, or blackened. Oh! Or fish tacos or add cajun spices with black beans and rice. Not sure which is on your diet lol. One way we love to do fish is what we call fish packs. We put fish on a baking sheet pan in individual tin foil bowls. Then each family member adds the spices they feel like- and then I bake it. This works for the grill too.

What seasoning options do you offer for your fish packs? Also how do you grill your fish so it doesn't fall apart? I think I'd like the flavor of grilled better than anything.

MudPies 01-18-2019 12:49 PM

You might could get fresh freshwater fish- but I am no help there as I grew up on the coast.

For our fish packs 2 of my kids add sesame oil, soy sauce, and chinese 5 spice. 2 add basil, oregano, and butter. I like both of the above or will go citrus with lemon pepper or fresh lime juice with garlic.

To grill I either use cedar planks or use tin foil as a pan.

RiverRock 01-18-2019 01:13 PM

I also like foil packs for a variety of fish. The foil pack can be either put on a baking sheet in the oven, or placed directly on the grill. Sometimes I add slices of lemon, S&P, and loads of dill (fresh or dry), and other times I add a mound of sliced sweet peppers and onions with S&P.

Have you thought about dredging the fish filets? GF flour, then egg, then GF Panko. You can add seasonings to the flour and Panko according to your taste. From here you can either bake on a greased sheet in the oven, or pan fry in a bit of oil.

charla 01-18-2019 01:17 PM

I think crispy baked fish would be good but I'm not sure what to use to replace the egg for the binder. :think

MudPies 01-18-2019 01:36 PM

Southeners use buttermilk. That may work. :)

RiverRock 01-18-2019 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charla (Post 6168683)
I think crispy baked fish would be good but I'm not sure what to use to replace the egg for the binder. :think

Sorry, I forgot about that. Gelatin egg? Sour cream?

knitlove 01-18-2019 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charla (Post 6168683)

I have usesd water.

Actually I will toss things straight in the bread crumbs.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Aerynne 01-18-2019 04:27 PM

I don't have a recipe but from my omnivore days salmon patties are good and milder.

RiverRock 01-18-2019 04:39 PM

I've also used salad dressing instead of eggs. It adds flavour, too!

ViolaMum 01-19-2019 01:16 PM

I cook cod (but any mild white fish will work) in soffrito (finely chopped onion, pepper, tomato) and a few spices like cumin and cilantro in a skillet on the stove. Yummiest stuff ever! It takes 15 minutes tops. My kids call it Puerto Rican Fish Stew because my friend from PR cooks chicken that way. I usually even start with frozen fish.

My kids will eat salmon patties made from canned salmon and sardines in the winter. (Littlest only if there's lots of tartar sauce, but :shrug3)

charla 01-19-2019 01:48 PM

Do you have a recipe for the fish cooked in sofrito, Darcy, or at least share the method? I can't seem to picture how it would work.

RR, when you say salad dressing, do you mean mayo or Italian or ranch or something like that?

Anyone have a good salmon patty recipe that is egg free and gluten free?

RiverRock 01-19-2019 02:28 PM

I'm pretty sure I used an oil based Italian dressing, but I thing anything could work.

I'll link my family's favourite Salmon Cake recipe. I just made them a few days. I used GF Panko instead of the breadcrumbs, and I'm sure you can substitute the eggs and mayo with a vegan mayo (extra to account for the eggs) and maybe a bit of tapioca starch to help bind the cakes. I baked them on an oiled cookie sheet in the oven instead of pan frying them. https://www.foodnetwork.ca/recipe/in...n-cakes/16830/

Soliloquy 01-19-2019 02:40 PM

I try to eat wild Alaskan canned salmon at least once a week. I add it to soup, casseroles, or mix it with mayo like tuna salad but with salmon. Canned salmon often has a milder flavor than fresh salmon so you might like it. It's very rich in Omega 3 which is why we should eat it.

Trader Joe's has a great price on it. I also buy it at Costco.

We get lake trout from our local lake, too, but this is the first place I've lived that I feel comfortable eating fish from the local lake.