Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Pressure Cooker Recipes *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=547)
-   -   pressure cooker? (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=398148)

mezzBreath 02-20-2011 11:23 AM

pressure cooker?

never heard of it. some enlightenment?

Earthylady 02-20-2011 11:29 AM

Re: pressure cooker?

I need to get one. It's used for canning things like veggies and such that can't be canned with just a boiling water bath. Deciding whether something can be canned with water or pressure is based on the acid level.

I've heard of some people actually cooking in a pressure cooker, but I've only seen one used for for canning.

StumblinMama 02-20-2011 11:30 AM

I just got a new one yesterday :tu I haven't used one in several years so I'm :popcorn for recipes. Basically a pressure cooker cooks the food under pressure (created by steam) and it cooks food dramatically faster. For instance, a roast that would normally cook for 3 or 4 hours to be fork tender would cook for 20 or 30 minutes in the pressure cooker. I'm so excited to have one again :yes

Punkie 02-20-2011 12:14 PM

Beans are fantastic in a pressure cooker. They cook quickly and end up with a lovely texture (not mushy, like cooking for a long time can do.) Some recipes require a pressure cooker for making things like sticky rice for rice balls. You can also make less expensive cuts of meat very quickly. Chuck roasts, stew meat, etc., become tender in very little time in the pressure cooker.

StumblinMama 02-20-2011 12:24 PM

Forgot to mention that we're having corned beef and cabbage tonight to inaugurate our new pressure cooker :giggle I'll be sure and report back about how it goes.

Maggirayne 02-20-2011 12:28 PM

I am getting over being scared of mine. :giggle I found one just like my mom's. I looooove beef roast in it. My mom did chicken also.

mezzBreath 02-20-2011 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Punkie (Post 3706707)
Beans are fantastic in a pressure cooker. They cook quickly and end up with a lovely texture (not mushy, like cooking for a long time can do.) Some recipes require a pressure cooker for making things like sticky rice for rice balls. You can also make less expensive cuts of meat very quickly. Chuck roasts, stew meat, etc., become tender in very little time in the pressure cooker.

ooooohhh i've been trying to find ways to make cooking my beans easier!! they always seem come out wrong :shrug3

AngelaVA 02-20-2011 02:27 PM

I have thought about one of these... I almost feel like a traitor to GCM but I just don't like crock pots or the way food turns out in them. I was thinking a pressure cooker would be a good alternative for pot roast and things like that.

Earthylady 02-20-2011 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelaVA (Post 3706932)
I have thought about one of these... I almost feel like a traitor to GCM but I just don't like crock pots or the way food turns out in them. I was thinking a pressure cooker would be a good alternative for pot roast and things like that.

I don't care much for crock pots either. I've had people give me cookbooks and recipes but I just don't like much from them. I use my electric roasting pot way more. I usually just cook a meat in it then cook veggies close to dinner time.

mezzBreath 02-20-2011 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Earthylady (Post 3706983)
I don't care much for crock pots either. I've had people give me cookbooks and recipes but I just don't like much from them. I use my electric roasting pot way more. I usually just cook a meat in it then cook veggies close to dinner time.

yeah i haven't been having too much luck with my crock pot lately either :shrug3 i try to cook whole chickens but they don't seem to cook right...

Earthylady 02-20-2011 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aboobieaday (Post 3707118)
yeah i haven't been having too much luck with my crock pot lately either :shrug3 i try to cook whole chickens but they don't seem to cook right...

I do them in the electric roaster and they are good! The only thing I like from the crockpot is a chicken and rice recipe. I just prefer stuff not cooked together, I think.

emmalouise 02-21-2011 06:06 AM

Love mine for beans, soup, risotto, irish stew, potatoes.

StumblinMama 02-21-2011 06:09 AM

Corned beef was perfect :tu It was a bit of a learning curve figuring out if it was up to pressure and getting the heat turned down the right amount. At first I think I turned it down too low (the little knob thing on the lid stopped sputtering :giggle) I think that's to be expected. Now that I'm more comfy with it, I think we'll have many more yummy pressure cooker meals in our future :yes

ETA: It took approx 50 minutes to cook, and that was with me cooking it at too low of a temp for a while. That corned beef would have normally taken 3 hours or so in a regular pot on the stove.

Abinsmom 02-26-2011 10:09 PM

I love my pressure cooker. And like others have posted here, crock pots are icky. Everything is overcooked and tastes the same -- yuck. PC cooking makes the flavors of ingredients lively and preserves nutrients (whereas a crock pot overcooks everything).

I've had my PC for probably 10 years and I go through stages of using a lot. I make lots of soups, risotto, and I cook meats quickly for either immediate use or for freezing and ease of use for later. My friend taught PC cooking classes at the local co-op for years, so she has inspired me.

There are some great PC cookbooks out there that will teach you how to use your PC. I can make recommendations - I have my faves. Lorna Sass is one author that seems to be the "star" PC cookbook writer, but I don't have any of her books so can't vouch. I have three others, two of which I like a lot.

ETA: My friend who teaches PC cooking classes recommended buying a Kuhn Rikon, and I did, and I love it. Not sure what a less expensive brand would be like to use.

AngelaVA 02-27-2011 09:17 AM

Does anyone have a particular make/model of pressure cooker they'd recommend?