Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Vegetarianism & Veganism (Veg Support Forum) *Public* [Join Forum to Post] (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=438)
-   -   Meatless Meals in March (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=512371)

flowermama 03-03-2015 02:10 PM

Meatless Meals in March

Ha! How do you like that alliteration in the title? Pretty impressive, right?! :giggle

For lunch today I cooked some cute heart-shaped noodles my mom had given us and frozen corn. I mixed a jar of spaghetti sauce from TJ's with the pasta. I sliced some apples, and I made some garlic toast (I put Earth Balance on sourdough bread and sprinkled it with garlic powder and toasted it in the oven).

Beth1231 03-03-2015 02:12 PM

Re: Meatless Meals in March

:cup

I'm only recently cooking again and need ideas!

flowermama 03-03-2015 02:20 PM

Yesterday for lunch I cooked short-grain brown rice with plain cubed tofu. I also cooked some sliced tofu in the oven -- I put Liquid Aminos, grapeseed oil, poultry seasoning, and garlic powder on the slices of tofu and baked them, turning them over partway through. I love tofu cooked that way. My boys don't care for it that way, though, so that's why I made plain cubed tofu, too. :) We also had cranberry sauce, mandarin oranges (from a can), a small grapefruit we shared, raisins, bananas cut up, and sliced avocado.

I also made what I call "truffles" out of avocado, almond meal, carob powder, oatmeal, chia seeds, agave nectar, and coconut oil. I blended those ingredients together in a food processor. Then I shaped them into balls and them rolled them in a mixture made out of flaxseed meal, a little bit of sugar, and cinnamon. I loved them.

---------- Post added at 01:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:20 PM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beth1231 (Post 5892963)
:cup

I'm only recently cooking again and need ideas!

:tu

Ms_Dahl 03-03-2015 03:10 PM

I'd like to participate in this thread. As an Orthodox Christian, we generally stick to a mostly vegan diet during fasting periods. I need ideas for meals that don't heavily depend on carbs!!

Aldi actually had a great meal idea for a carb-less pasta meal. Peel a carrot, zucchini and squash lengthwise with a peeler, boil the strips briefly and top with marinara sauce. I hope to try that the next time I get groceries.

---------- Post added at 05:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:08 PM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by flowermama (Post 5892966)
I also made what I call "truffles" out of avocado, almond meal, carob powder, oatmeal, chia seeds, agave nectar, and coconut oil. I blended those ingredients together in a food processor. Then I shaped them into balls and them rolled them in a mixture made out of flaxseed meal, a little bit of sugar, and cinnamon. I loved them.

That sounds delicious! I don't have carob powder or almond meal. I do have flaxseed meal. What does carob powder taste like and do you think I could make these without those two ingredients?

HuggaBuggaMommy 03-03-2015 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ms_Dahl (Post 5892994)
That sounds delicious! I don't have carob powder or almond meal. I do have flaxseed meal. What does carob powder taste like and do you think I could make these without those two ingredients?

Carob powder would be like adding cocoa powder...a sort of chocolaty taste.

They do sound delicious.

Lunch today was a quinoa-kale-sweet potato pilaf.

flowermama 03-03-2015 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ms_Dahl (Post 5892994)
I'd like to participate in this thread. As an Orthodox Christian, we generally stick to a mostly vegan diet during fasting periods. I need ideas for meals that don't heavily depend on carbs!!

Aldi actually had a great meal idea for a carb-less pasta meal. Peel a carrot, zucchini and squash lengthwise with a peeler, boil the strips briefly and top with marinara sauce. I hope to try that the next time I get groceries.

I like to use zucchini in place of pasta (I like raw) or to use spaghetti squash. :tu My mom actually recently bought me a neat thing that cuts veggies in long strips like noddles. It's fun to use. :giggle

Quote:

I just remembered that I forgot to mention that it also had cashews in it.

You could make it without those two things. :think I often use cocoa powder instead of carob. Carob powder has a sweetness to it, unlike cocoa powder. My children don't like it as much as cocoa powder, but I grew up with my mom using it sometimes, so it has the element of being a comfort-type food for me.

I make my truffles out of a variety of things. They end up rather like cookie dough, so it's a lot like eating raw cookie dough, which I love!

I use something (or more than one thing) wet to bind the dry ingredients together -- something like avocado or pureed pumpkin. You can use peanut butter (my son doesn't like it so I don't use it when I make these). Or dates or raisins (which also help sweeten it). Liquid sweetener also can help. Oh, and coconut oil.

For dry ingredients I things like coconut, almond meal (or almonds ground up), cashew meal, oatmeal, chia seeds, flaxseed meal, hempseeds, etc. And I usually add cinnamon, maybe ginger, or pumpkin pie spice, etc.

I could find some recipes if you'd like. :)

Ms_Dahl 03-03-2015 04:52 PM

Wow, all those ingredients sound yummy. Recipes would be really helpful. I think I want to try the carob powder. Is it something I could get at TJs?

flowermama 03-03-2015 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ms_Dahl (Post 5893037)
Wow, all those ingredients sound yummy. Recipes would be really helpful. I think I want to try the carob powder. Is it something I could get at TJs?

I'll get back to you with some recipes. :tu

I don't think I've seen carob powder at TJ's. :think I bought mine at Fred Meyer. They have it in the bulk section, too, but right now I have some I bought on clearance for half off (Bob's Red Mill brand). If you have a natural foods store near you, it bet they would likely carry it. :think

---------- Post added at 05:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:56 PM ----------

Christa, last month you mentioned that you made some eggplant curry, so I decided to buy some eggplant the other day, and today I cooked chopped onion, green pepper, eggplant, mushrooms, cabbage, and carrots together with spices (including curry). I added tofu and leftover rice from yesterday and mixed it all together. Yum!

MamaSam 03-03-2015 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flowermama (Post 5893008)
I like to use zucchini in place of pasta (I like raw) or to use spaghetti squash. :tu My mom actually recently bought me a neat thing that cuts veggies in long strips like noddles. It's fun to use. :giggle

I just remembered that I forgot to mention that it also had cashews in it.

You could make it without those two things. :think I often use cocoa powder instead of carob. Carob powder has a sweetness to it, unlike cocoa powder. My children don't like it as much as cocoa powder, but I grew up with my mom using it sometimes, so it has the element of being a comfort-type food for me.

I make my truffles out of a variety of things. They end up rather like cookie dough, so it's a lot like eating raw cookie dough, which I love!

I use something (or more than one thing) wet to bind the dry ingredients together -- something like avocado or pureed pumpkin. You can use peanut butter (my son doesn't like it so I don't use it when I make these). Or dates or raisins (which also help sweeten it). Liquid sweetener also can help. Oh, and coconut oil.

For dry ingredients I things like coconut, almond meal (or almonds ground up), cashew meal, oatmeal, chia seeds, flaxseed meal, hempseeds, etc. And I usually add cinnamon, maybe ginger, or pumpkin pie spice, etc.

I could find some recipes if you'd like. :)

Do you use refined coconut oil? I only have unrefined extra virgin and can't hardly use it in recipes because of the overwhelming coconut taste.

flowermama 03-04-2015 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MamaSam (Post 5893145)
Do you use refined coconut oil? I only have unrefined extra virgin and can't hardly use it in recipes because of the overwhelming coconut taste.

I can't remember what it's called, but I use the type that tastes coconut-y. I think I must like taste of coconut more than I realize. :giggle

---------- Post added at 11:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:14 AM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ms_Dahl (Post 5893037)
Wow, all those ingredients sound yummy. Recipes would be really helpful.

Here are some recipes! I usually just throw mine together now -- there are so many great possibilities! But hopefully this will help get you started and give you an idea of how to make them. :smile

http://detoxinista.com/2012/11/pecan...s-vegan-paleo/ <-- She dips them in melted chocolate. I haven't tried that, but it sounds good. :shifty

http://www.bastyr.edu/recipes/pecan-date-bon-bons <-- This one lists white miso as an ingredient. I've added miso to the "truffles" (aka, cookie dough bites) I've made before, and it works surprisingly well.

I think this recipe for no-bake chocolate chip cookies is what got me inspired to start making this type of thing. :think In this recipe she shapes them into the shape of a cookie.
http://natural-lifestyle-show.com/5/...vegan-too.html

This is a recipe I've used, changing some of it. It looks like the recipe is not up right now, but I found it on the wayback machine website:
https://web.archive.org/web/20130509...e-dough-bites/

I hope these help! :heart

Ms_Dahl 03-04-2015 03:07 PM

I plan on trying the truffles very soon. I just need to get one or two ingredients from the store.

I made a tofu scramble this morning with mushrooms, onions, tomatoes, different kinds of greens, tofu and some salt/pepper and garlic powder. It was really filling, I was good until early afternoon time frame.

HuggaBuggaMommy 03-04-2015 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MamaSam (Post 5893145)

I only use unrefined, but rarely, because I hate the taste/smell of coconut. I know it's good for me, but I just can't stand it.

Tomorrow I'm making something Indian. I don't know what yet.

flowermama 03-10-2015 05:07 PM

Well, I made some more truffles today. My poor little boy was eating so many today that he started to get sick of them. :doh So, he's going to wait awhile before eating any more today. :smile

For the truffles I used almond butter, agave nectar, a banana, and coconut oil for the wet ingredients. I used carob powder, chia seeds, almond meal, cashew meal, flaxseed meal, oatmeal, and also some cashews and chocolate chips, for the dry ingredients.

I made soup (I love making soup) and tofu scramble (which I put on sandwiches). We also had sliced apples, pineapple, and green peppers (not mixed together, of course :giggle).

flowermama 03-10-2015 10:41 PM

Toasted peanut butter and banana sandwiches tonight! :yum

L-Boogie 03-10-2015 11:38 PM

Lentil vegetable soup for lunch
Oven roasted asparagus with sliced sweet peppers, roasted radishes, roasted green beans and salad for dinner :yum