Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Nurturing our Children (AP & Multi-age Parenting Topics) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=416)
-   -   "allergy" response or age thing? (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=524911)

milkmommy 03-03-2018 07:16 PM

"allergy" response or age thing?

Margaret been gluten free for about 3 year now. She been tested for Celiacs and she is not.. Basically doctors think she had more a leaky gut making her very sensitive to the gluten but we've held on to hope that one days she'd not be so sensitive or may even "outgrow" the issue. Over the last year or so we have noticed she not nearly as sensitive to cross contamination. About twice a year we under her Drs okay reintroduce some gluten to see how she reacts. In the past she gone as much as two weeks with out a hint of an issue then it gets ugly...
I promised we could do another try after the holidays and we did the first trial run this past week. The first thing she got was a biscuit. Like one of those refrigerated pop can type. She did fine.. The next day I allowed her another and again no issues. After each she asked for another but I said no THe first time she pouted a bit but moved on.. The next she yelled that I was mean and stomped off in a rage but again it passed...
I made another batch tonight with dinner (chicken red potatoes and asparagus) and again I allowed her to have one.. This time though she went ballistic when I wouldn't allow her another. (and yes I set the boundary before and it was a batch of five only DH got 2) SHe threw and huge fit ran off screaming in her room for at least two hours. :shifty (and at almost 8 I haven't seem this level of tantrums since at least 2 even at 2 she didn't last this long).. Even after she "calmed" just her coming and seeing the empty plate was enough to set her off again.
I know that sometimes an allergy can cause someone to crave what they shouldn't have. I know it is probably impossible to know with one reaction... however for those that have delt with this does this seem like it might be that kind of reaction.. Or is it likely more kid over reaction scenario?

Quiteria 03-03-2018 07:38 PM

Re: "allergy" response or age thing?

Could you try something else, like pasta?

milkmommy 03-03-2018 08:13 PM

Yes that is a good idea.

MaySunflowers 03-04-2018 12:36 AM

My daughter could react like that around age 9. We've not had food reactions in the form of behavior.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

milkmommy 03-04-2018 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaySunflowers (Post 6131654)
My daughter could react like that around age 9. We've not had food reactions in the form of behavior.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Oh I know it could its just we haven't seen it. She is just about to turn 8 so she could just be all out of sorts right now though.

everybody's mother 03-04-2018 03:39 AM

Sounds like a food sensitivity reaction to me, especially with the escalations.

2sunshines 03-04-2018 03:53 AM

If I have ever needed to test for sensitivities or allergies, I like to expose them to the food as benignly or unbenownst to them as possible. So for example if you bake gluten free, next time bake a similar recipe with gluten. OR if you do gluten free pancakes next time make gluten pancakes. Or even something as simple as cooking with a gluten containing ingredient. I find that eliminating as many other variables as possible (re-introducing a previously "forbidden" food, their knowledge of their exposure to gluten, etc) makes determining whether they're reacting to it the most effective.

In this case, I'd probably take her back off gluten for a bit (maybe a month???) then try again in a quieter way and see what happens.

Honestly, it's SO hard to know what's causing what so trial and error is really the best bet.

WanderingJuniper 03-04-2018 06:18 AM

For us that would be a gluten reaction. Bird c
Has is little emotional regulation when she gets exposed. Her only exposures happen with French fried or hot wings when we get take out. I like the idea of having the exposure be unknown. Switch out g pasta for regular or baked goods sounds like a good plan.

HadassahSukkot 03-04-2018 08:24 AM

That us how my oldest and I react. After that, we have the really awful DH rash. Rages for us = contamination somewhere.

tempus vernum 03-04-2018 09:45 AM

That can definitely be a gluten reaction here :hug heart

marbles 03-04-2018 10:07 AM

We see a behavior connection with cross contamination. But I would agree with introducing it secretly. Knowing about it can affect the results.

milkmommy 03-04-2018 06:54 PM

We usually do it without her knowing. She knows we will start testing "next week" but not exactly when or with what. So good call on that.. she hasn't had another melt down nor any other obvious gluten exposure. Ill try again maybe next month but not tell her jic.

bananacake 03-05-2018 08:03 PM

Most of my kids' food reactions are behavioral. Like the time my oldest cried through dinner after I let him have a GF candy cane joe joe cookie (contains soy).

knitlove 03-06-2018 06:21 PM

In my house it would very much be an allergy reaction.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

ValiantJoy07 03-07-2018 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HadassahSukkot (Post 6131669)
That us how my oldest and I react. After that, we have the really awful DH rash. Rages for us = contamination somewhere.

my dd2 reacts with bizarre rages. I get irrational and sick and get the DH rash too.

It isn't just gluten that triggers dd2, oats, soy, and corn make her freak out too. We have recently had to cut out oats again, she is a mess for 2 days after she has a bowl of certified gluten free oatmeal, just not worth it.