Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Breads / Muffins *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=542)
-   -   Help changing recipe (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=478829)

Mert 04-14-2013 07:36 PM

Help changing recipe

Ds does not tolerate uneven texture in his baked goods. I have made many a healthy cookie, muffin, or other bread-like food that was declared "too oaty" meaning too hearty, I guess.

I would love to try this morning glory muffin recipe, but I'm wondering if I could purée the carrot and apple instead of chopping and also if I could grind the dry ingredients. What do you think? Will it still make a muffin?

http://paleocomfortfoods.com/recipes...glory-muffins/

3boysforme 04-14-2013 07:44 PM

Re: Help changing recipe

I don't see why it wouldn't work. :shrug Those sound delicious, I bookmarked to try them!

ShangriLewis 04-14-2013 07:53 PM

Oh those look yummy. I have to start baking GF. I wonder if I could use flax or chia instead of the eggs?

Mert 04-14-2013 08:04 PM

Actually someone posted in the comment section that she regularly made them by putting everything except the dry ingredients into the vitamix. Guess I should have read more before asking. Glad you liked it. I think it would be a good b'fast for all of us, but I always love a baked good that sneaks in that many nutrients for the little guy! ;)

---------- Post added at 03:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:53 AM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShangriLewis (Post 5237071)
Oh those look yummy. I have to start baking GF. I wonder if I could use flax or chia instead of the eggs?

I don't know a whole lot about the chemistry of baking, but I'm a little worried that the almond flour needs something to really bind it. If either of those things does that well then I'd say yes. I'm wondering if maybe banana would be a good sub.

This recipe is egg free and uses flax seed and water. (Shows you how much I know. :giggle) http://thecleankitchen.westslopedesi...s-gluten-free/ So I guess it does work.

ShangriLewis 04-14-2013 08:24 PM

Yeah flax or chia usually work fine for me. But, I have never worked with almond flour.

Lily 04-14-2013 08:30 PM

If you do the flax with the almond flour, you will need to do the flax gel recipe (heat it up so that it gets really thick and sticky). It doesn't seem to work otherwise because the almond flour is heavier than regular flour. I've never tried chia with almond.

ShangriLewis 04-14-2013 09:43 PM

Mert 04-14-2013 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShangriLewis (Post 5237257)

No biggie! :hug I learned from your question too! It's all good. :grin

Lily 04-14-2013 09:51 PM

Oh and sometimes, it's helpful to add another egg's worth of flax when baking with almond flour.

Quiteria 04-14-2013 10:07 PM

You may have to adjust the liquid /dry ratio when you blend things, because it will change the surface area to be wetted on chunky dry ingredients like oats, and moist things like apples or carrots might release a little more liquid once chopped...it might balance, or it might lean one way or the other...I'd try the amounts given and then tweak a tablespoon more of something wet or dry until it seems like a familiar consistency from anything else you've made successfully with alond flour. ;)

3boysforme 04-17-2013 09:37 AM

Did you try it? How did it work out?