Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Beverages *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=545)
-   -   I realize this is 15 years late, but... (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=412730)

Domina 06-13-2011 05:43 AM

I realize this is 15 years late, but...

...I like smoothies!

I have always been a carnivore and carbivore...I like fruits and veggies, but I don't eat them by themselves. Not intentionally. So now that I'm carrying 20lbs of post-baby weight and I NEED to get healthy, I decided to try a Ye Ole 1990s Standby. The smoothie.

I used strawberries, bananas, blueberries, applesauce, orange juice and some baby food carrots. :giggle

It's good! So good that I might conceivably have one of these every day. So if anyone knows of good smoothie recipes, please share!

rjy9343 06-13-2011 06:03 AM

Re: I realize this is 15 years late, but...

I drank smoothies my first two months with Ivy and am about to go back to it because suddenly eating is not doable again. I just throw in whatever fruit I have, some almond milk and organic egg or two and I'm full most of the day.

mummy2boys 06-13-2011 06:14 PM

I discovered smoothies a couple of months ago so you are not alone :smile

jedimastermom 06-13-2011 06:25 PM

Well, since you are a reader you might enjoy a trip to the book store or library. There are TONS of books devoted to the smoothie... how to make them, what benefits they have, ect. We have a few here but, sadly, our blender went to be with Jesus and we don't have extra funds for a new one yet so no smoothies for me right now :( . Insert jealous-self-pity sigh here. :impouting
My sil makes one her family loves and its packed with spinach and all kinds of good for you stuff in it but it actually tastes good.

Emilyjoy16 06-13-2011 06:59 PM

We just had smoothies for breakfast this morning!! My dd can't say smoothie, though, so we call them poothies! I just put in some yogurt, and some banana and strawberry. I have added some pears leftover from the night before, and that made it nice and sweet. I like the idea of putting applesauce in there, I'll have to try that next time

wisdomjourney 06-13-2011 07:00 PM

:cup

I love smoothies, too! We use homemade yogurt, frozen blueberries and strawberries, a banana, a dash of vanilla, and a glug of juice. Yum! I'd love to find a recipe with spinach that is good.

Abibigail 06-13-2011 07:04 PM

Green smoothies are a hit around here. We really like this one:

• A whole banana
  • Several strawberries
  • Some frozen carrots
  • A handful of frozen spinach
  • Bentonite clay
  • OJ and almond milk
Blend! Yum! It's not a nice color, and there's not a ton of protein there, but it's yummy! Sometimes I throw in some protein powder.

My standard breakfast smoothie is this:
  • A banana
  • Protein powder
  • Ice!
  • A few tablespoons of natural peanut butter
  • bentonite clay
  • Chocolate almond milk :shifty
I call it the Graceland Surprise. You know, since it's a breakfast smoothie, maybe I should call it the Graceland Sunrise. :think

Anyway, do a search for green smoothie recipes, or something to that effect, and you'll find a lot to read on here. :yes

wisdomjourney 06-13-2011 08:22 PM

Bentonite clay? Um... eh? :) My dad sells drilling fluids (to oil companies) and that's a really big seller. :lol Seriously, though. What is the purpose of eating it? I guess I could google it...

So how do you think that spinach smoothie would be if I added plain yogurt? Would it make it weird?

Abibigail 06-13-2011 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wisdomjourney (Post 3968318)
Bentonite clay? Um... eh? :) My dad sells drilling fluids (to oil companies) and that's a really big seller. :lol Seriously, though. What is the purpose of eating it? I guess I could google it...

So how do you think that spinach smoothie would be if I added plain yogurt? Would it make it weird?

Re: Bentonite clay, basically it is fantastic for helping to pull toxins out of the body. :) There's a giant thread on it somewhere on this board if you do a search, and it has 8,000x more info. :tu

Re: yogurt in the spinach smoothie, it's been done. :yes We don't b/c my E is lactose intolerant, but I know a few mamas here like it. :sillygrin

BabyMonsterMommy 06-13-2011 08:42 PM

We have smoothies pretty much every day. You can throw a handful of any fresh greens in there and it won't really change the flavor. Baby spinach is very tender and will disappear the most. Kale is tough and will change the texture, if not make it a bit chewy. Most people who like green smoothies swear by frozen berry blends and say that they go best with the tougher greens. I just chuck a handful oh spinach into anything and everyone, including Hubs, drinks it right up. We almost always start with a banana and add things like mango and peach, strawberries and watermelon, avocado and sometimes red grapes for sweetness. So far for veg we've tried spinach, baby spinach, kale, peas, fresh basil and mint. I often add yogurt. Have fun with it! Think of your favorite juice combinations and buy those fruits. :D