Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=430)
-   -   Beets!!! (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=528400)

MudPies 04-22-2020 02:47 PM

Beets!!!

Help! We got beets in our veggie box. Last time I roasted them (savory seasoned not sweet) and 7/7 agreed :no. What should I try next? Raw is a no-go too.

knitlove 04-22-2020 02:49 PM

Re: Beets!!!

When I got a run of beets in a csa box I pickled them ( and mailed them to my grandparents, who loved them, no one in my house wanted any)

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

ViolaMum 04-22-2020 02:57 PM

My mom always does a sweet and sour dressing-thing with beets - she calls is Harvard beets. But I can't remember if she boils them, or how she cooks them first. :think

How did you roast them when you made them last time? Whole? Cut up?

My kids scarf up roasted beets, but I have to peel and cut them up, toss with olive oil, salt and pepper and roast until they're caramelized and crispy on the edges, like oven roasted potatoes. It takes a while.

Ina Garten's recipe is pretty good.

You should TOTALLY watch the Beets episode of Good Eats with your kids. :yes
Alton's Glazed Baby Beets are tasty, too. They've got the sweet and sour thing going on.

MudPies 04-22-2020 03:02 PM

Thank you. Yes I peeled and diced them then roasted with salt and pepper and oil.

Mother of Sons 04-22-2020 03:21 PM

I roast them whole in foil (ends cut off), peel then slice and then butter and salt. Yum.

Maedchen 04-22-2020 06:24 PM

I have an old time cake recipe somewhere that you make a chocolate cake using beets. It is so moist and good. (I have not tried to changed that recipe over to GF, but it can probably be found on the internet.)

You can also slice them very thinly and make chips............they are crispy and a little sweet.

2sunshines 04-23-2020 05:19 AM

Beets are such a polarizing vegetable. :lol I LOVE them just diced, seasoned and roasted, but the rest of my family consistently declare that no matter how they are cooked, they taste like dirt. :lol

My fave way is peeled, sliced, and mixed in with a variety of other veggies. Tossed in oil, seasoned with oregano, basil, salt and pepper. And roast.

MrsHutch 04-23-2020 12:01 PM

I love beets! My favorite way to eat them is made into beet salad, which I learned how to make when we lived in Moldova. I can't find a recipe online so here is how I do it:

Boil (or cook in instant pot) beets until fork tender.
Cool in cold water and then the skins will slide off.
Shred on a grater on the smaller holes.
Mix in a little salt, a few cloves of garlic to taste (we like a lot of garlic), and mayonnaise until it is kind of magenta colored. It should look like this.

ThreeKids 04-25-2020 12:58 PM

A comment on raw beets: very fresh beets taste nothing like what you get in the store. I know people say that about lots of things, but I really, really mean it with beets. It tastes more cherry-like fresh pulled.

2sunshines 04-27-2020 06:47 AM

I've heard that too! I need to try some fresh ones. Since I love the store bought ones I imagine I'd LOVE the fresh ones!

Housekat 04-28-2020 02:43 AM

I slice them and then ferment them in 2% salt water solution. Do not grate, as they get slimy, but cube or slice. I then eat them with salad or alongside good sourdough bread, cheese and olives as a pickle type condiment.

Quiteria 04-28-2020 05:47 AM

The way we roasted them was with carrots, parsnips, and maybe a few other root vegetables...potatoes?...drizzled with a glaze that was half apple cider vinegar and half brown sugar.

Anyhow, they tasted great with the sweet and sour glaze that way, and balanced by the more familiar veggies. Well, parsnips weren't familiar either, but those and the beets both made a good contrast against the regular carrots and potatoes, without being overwhelming the way they might be on their own. Probably had a smidge of oil drizzled, too, but I honestly don't recall ANY salt and pepper...just vinegar and brown sugar as a two-ingredient glaze. Definitely no pepper.

It was a Thanksgiving magazine recipe from Real Simple in 2000.

---------- Post added at 08:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:42 AM ----------

I think it was this recipe, though we probably skipped the mushrooms. Potatoes might be something we tried adding in later years trying to recreate it.

https://www.realsimple.com/food-reci...ted-vegetables

It comes out a lot different than a salt-and-pepper savory roasting.

arelyn 04-28-2020 11:59 AM

DH makes beet curry similar to this one except instead of coconut milk he adds ground coconut at the end of cooking. It's a drier curry (really more of a fry) but less messy. Also he skips the cayenne and adds a heaping spoonful of sugar to help the beets get a carmalized taste. But then again, we love roasted beets so this might be too beety for you.

We've had juice here that is a mix of beet-carrot-apple-orange. It is nice and red and quite sweet.