Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Vegetarian/Vegan Recipes *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=493)
-   -   what's your favorite mac and "cheeze" recipe? (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=134326)

flowermama 09-26-2005 02:51 AM

what's your favorite mac and "cheeze" recipe?

Can you please share your favorite vegan macaroni and "cheeze" recipe?

poleidopy 09-26-2005 07:49 AM

Re: what's your favorite mac and "cheeze" recipe?

:popcorn

lee472 10-26-2005 08:12 PM

1 Box Elbow Macaroni - prepared as directed (add 1 tsp oil and dash of salt to water for more flavor and looser noodles)
1 cup regular sour cream
1 large tbsp butter
1 block shredded, mild cheddar cheese
Extra salt and pepper (to taste)
1/2 cup seasoned bread crumb

Mix (well) all ingredients (except bread crumb) in baking dish coat mixture with breadcrumb bake at 375 covered for 35 minutes and then uncovered for 15 minutes. enjoy

My family really enjoys this and I'm sure your family will too.

Marzipan 10-26-2005 08:40 PM

Did you mean non dairy?

I however, appreciate the last recipe. I'm just trying to move up from velveeta to actual cheese. Baby steps. :)

Singingmom 10-26-2005 09:36 PM

1 box pasta
1 block (12 oz) cheddar soy cheese, shredded
1 block tofu
1 T. soy margarine (opt)
1/4 c. soy/rice milk

Cook pasta. Blend tofu in food processor until smooth. Transfer to sauce pan and heat, stirring constantly, without boiling. Add cheese and combine. Add marg. to pasta before pouring sauce over pasta. Add milk. You could top with bread crumbs and bake if you wanted.

This is pretty good. I've made it with less cheese, and it needed salt. Hope you like it! :)

lee472 10-27-2005 03:02 AM

:blush oops.... Sorry, i forgot I was on the Vegan forum. It's actually a great recipe with the exception of the dairy! (smirk-hahahah) Sorry again.
Signed...Newbie Lisa :phew

Piper2 10-27-2005 07:54 AM

Not that we "need" it at this point, but I'm :popcorn to see if anybody has anything better than the boxed mac & "chreese" we tried once. :no2

threecubs 10-27-2005 09:00 AM

I've been experimenting with cashew cream sauce. I wonder if you could add either a soy cheese of some kind, or maybe some nutitional yeast flakes? The cashew sauce is so rich and creamy...I bet it would be good that way! Here is a basic vegan cream sauce:

1 cup raw cashews (I soak them for a couple hours, but I don't think you need to)
3 cups water
2 tablespoons unbleached white flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tablespoon chickenlike seasoning and broth mix
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1/2 tsp. celery salt

Place cashews in blender and add one cup of water. Blend until very, very smooth and creamy (a couple minutes at least...I let it go for quite a while). Add flour, salt, chickenlike seasoning, onion powder, and celery salt and contunue blending for a minute.. In a saucepan, bring 2 cups water to a boil. Add cashew mixture to boiling water and stir constantly while bringing to a second boil. Remove from heat.

Then I would experiement and add the soy cheese or nutritional yeast flakes, or whatever you think you would like best. The sauce is really yummy! You could even take out the seasonings and try it plain first, then add to taste what you think is good. I hope this helps!

Kyasmom 10-27-2005 10:48 AM

Thank you so much for the cashew cream sauce. I didn't think I would find any creamy sauce that was casein AND soy free!!! :mrgreen I am very excited to try it!!!! :ty

threecubs 10-27-2005 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyasmom
Thank you so much for the cashew cream sauce. I didn't think I would find any creamy sauce that was casein AND soy free!!! :mrgreen I am very excited to try it!!!! :ty

Oh, you're welcome! I hope you like it. I recently used it to make a "potato pot pie." I thought the sauce tasted a lot like pot-pie filling, so I made crust and filled it with sliced potatoes, carrots and peas, and about half of the sauce recipe. Everyone loved it!

Punkie 10-29-2005 01:39 PM

I wasn't even going to look, because my ds is allergic to casein AND nutritional yeast so Mac N Cheese is really not an option. Maybe I'll try the cashews :)

Sara 10-29-2005 02:00 PM

You know what I think is really strange? At our HFS, they have boxes of macaroni and cheese. They have wheat-free (rice noodles, dairy cheese mix) and they have dairy-free (wheat noodles, dairy-free cheese mix) but they don't have wheat-free, dairy-free! :hissyfit That is so frustrating.

Anyway, I just wanted to share that frustration. We're not actually vegan, but we do avoid dairy due to allergies.

Kyasmom 10-29-2005 03:19 PM

Well, I made the cashew sauce last night - and ..... YUMMY :yum YUMMY!!!! I made it with 1 1/2 T. potato starch since we are also gluten free and I didn't add the seasonings becuase I was going to wait and add them after trying it. Well, I ended up just adding quite a bit of salt and pepper and putting it on tinkyada rice fettuccine pasta. It was so good!!! Tasted like alfredo sauce (only better IMO because it wasn't as *buttery/ greasy* as that can be.) :tu

Thanks again for the recipe! :) For those that want the cheesier taste - I bet adding some soy based vegan cheese substitute would work really well. We can't do soy, but it seems that the flavors would go well together!

poleidopy 10-29-2005 04:23 PM

OK, so where do i get raw cashews? Are they expensive? Are they different from "Planter's" in the can? :scratch

Kyasmom 10-30-2005 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poleidopy
OK, so where do i get raw cashews? Are they expensive? Are they different from "Planter's" in the can? :scratch

We get ours from a food buying club :shrug I would check your local HFS.