Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=437)
-   -   How safe is Miralax for a toddler? (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=519567)

WaitPatientlyOnTheLord 06-20-2016 07:25 PM

How safe is Miralax for a toddler?

How safe is Miralax for a toddler? My daughter (will be 3 in August) got dairy-ed 3x in the past two weeks (I was nannying seven kids- one who kept sharing her snacks, I swear this isn't the norm!) Anyways, she's been constipated every since. We've been pushing fluid, giving prunes, breastfeeding, giving juice, giving a few teaspoons of coconut oil, she eats veggies and whole grains, getting plenty of exercise, basically everything crunchy one could think of. She's passed a few stools but they are hard and extremely painful to pass, so now sometimes she avoids going when she clearly has to. Took her to the pediatrician today and she rx'ed Miralax. I'm inclined to try it, the kid is suffering so bad. :-/ (also we cannot try Epson salt baths, she's terrified of bathing.)

ECingMama 06-20-2016 07:34 PM

Re: How safe is Miralax for a toddler?

Please just do it for two weeks to two months.

We used magnesium with dance effect though for daily use.

Google bowl clean out and orange county children's hospital.

BBL

ValiantJoy07 06-20-2016 07:39 PM

I say get that bowel to move and then switch to natural calm a few times a day and lots of prunes to keep it moving. I would do miralax for a week to be sure it's all out and then switch to natural calm (keeps things soft for my kids). With the triggering foods out it should be fine.

Llee 06-20-2016 08:27 PM

I would far rather give miralax for as long as needed than to deal with a bad constipation issue.

We tried the natural remedies first because I heard so many horror stories about the miralax. But then it took four to five months for the Miralax to work properly and our child was able to retrain to poop when their body needed to poop.

Had I just done the miralax when the doctor sggested it (child had impacted bowels) for a month, I could have avoided the 5-6 months that we spend on that poop aid from first dose to not needing it at all.

She is completely weaned off of it now and has not needed it since.

HomeWithMyBabies 06-20-2016 08:40 PM

I don't believe we know how safe it is for kids at this point. I would consider a warm water enema if she will agree to it. You should get fast results that way without having to wait for a medication to work, and you'll be able to avoid the side effects I've known some kids get from miralax.

Something like natural calm or another form of magnesium (there are even oils and lotions for skin application) would be great but start with a small amount and work up to a full dose. Does she take probiotics? Also you can have her put her feet on the toilet seat while you hold her for balance, that should help her evacuate completely (google squatty potty unicorn for a visual on why this helps).

sweetpeasmommy 06-20-2016 09:01 PM

I'm not a fan of Miralax, but do believe it's safer than doing nothing or not doing enough which can lead to a vicious cycle of bowel incontinence or holding it because it hurts to go. That can take a very long time months to years to fully get under control once it's bad.

Allison 06-21-2016 05:42 AM

We used it for a while (several months) when my middle son was a toddler. He had encopresis and it was the only way he'd go for a time. I did stop when I found more natural solutions (like some of the ones already mentioned in this thread.)

I wouldn't hesitate to use it short term at all, though.

WaitPatientlyOnTheLord 06-22-2016 07:50 PM

I I've been doing the Miramax the past two days.I'm super uncomfortable with the dosing cup! That thing is so unclear! Not even sure if I'm giving her a full dose or a half dose each day, it's one or the other. Anyways, it seems to be working. She had two bms today. One was soft. But now she isn't asking to sit on the potty at all, just going in her training undies. :scratch for a little over two weeks she's been wanting to go on the potty.

Anyways, I got some natural calm today and plan to switch over to that in a couple days. She hasn't complained of a tummy ache today. :heart

ECingMama 06-22-2016 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WaitPatientlyOnTheLord (Post 6022833)
I I've been doing the Miramax the past two days.I'm super uncomfortable with the dosing cup! That thing is so unclear! Not even sure if I'm giving her a full dose or a half dose each day, it's one or the other. Anyways, it seems to be working. She had two bms today. One was soft. But now she isn't asking to sit on the potty at all, just going in her training undies. :scratch for a little over two weeks she's been wanting to go on the potty.

Anyways, I got some natural calm today and plan to switch over to that in a couple days. She hasn't complained of a tummy ache today. :heart

I always did a half dose. Found it was enough. I used a food scale to weight out 9 grams

Trixie 06-23-2016 07:39 AM

a half dose is roughly two rounded teaspoons. I've had toddlers and babies on miralax long term when I did private duty nursing. It makes loose sticky poops but they wouldn't have any bowel movement without it. My daughter, now 8, gets really constipated sometimes and it takes something heavy duty to get her moving again.

Reva 06-24-2016 03:39 PM

We had to use it on E after R died. She was 3 and her ped said constipation is pretty common at that age anyway, and then the grief just made it worse.

It worked! :yes