Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=421)
-   -   Musing re: "Taking it too far" and "Don't spank in anger" (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=348330)

StrangeTraveller 03-01-2010 01:24 PM

Musing re: "Taking it too far" and "Don't spank in anger"

So, while I was ranting to DH and explaining the stages of abuse that Wonder Woman linked on here...something came to me. Can you help me flesh it out and see if it is accurate or just my ramblings? It's a very simple thought:

God doesn't require us to do things that can only be done in moderation. He might allow for some things (wine, for instance) that can only be done in moderation, but he doesn't give commands that can be dangerous if overused.

If that is accurate, then corporal punishment cannot be Biblical. All of these guru guys have specific guidelines for spanking. Why? Because it can get very dangerous, very fast. Yet, none of these guidelines exist in Scripture. The only references they will state are a bit of a stretch (rod verses with weird and boxy interpretations). Nowhere do you see "only on the bottom," "with a 1/4 in plumbing line," "with a small branch," "over your knee," etc.

Does God ever give us commands, something that we MUST do, that have to be qualified? That can be dangerous to ourselves and others?

mommy2abigail 03-01-2010 01:52 PM

Re: Musing re: "Taking it too far" and "Don't spank in anger"

I've often wondered this myself...:think

tigerlily 03-01-2010 01:56 PM

Well, there are commands in the Law to stone for various offenses, but I don't suppose you can overdo dead.:shifty

Thinking,:think bbl if I come up w/ more.

StrangeTraveller 03-01-2010 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tigerlily (Post 2930885)
Well, there are commands in the Law to stone for various offenses, but I don't suppose you can overdo dead.:shifty

Thinking,:think bbl if I come up w/ more.

But those were very clearly outlined for what/why and who, and yes, it was to completely end a life. And it was punishment for adults...

tigerlily 03-01-2010 02:04 PM

Again, I know this is for adults (or maybe not -- maybe there were some indentured/slave older children)

But aren't there rules for beating your slave? "Do not beat them until they die...?"

StrangeTraveller 03-01-2010 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tigerlily (Post 2930912)
Again, I know this is for adults (or maybe not -- maybe there were some indentured/slave older children)

But aren't there rules for beating your slave? "Do not beat them until they die...?"

:think will have to look it up, but if there are rules, then you can't take it too far, because once you have broken the rule you are no longer following the command :shrug3 I'm talking about a generalized command that we have to feel out (of course, the only one I'm thinking of now is "discipline" meaning hitting your children, but you have to determine how much is godly and how much is dangerous. :-/)