Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=421)
-   -   Just need some encouragement, sort of a vent, under some pressure from friends (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=294361)

Lantern Light Mama 02-20-2009 03:56 PM

Just need some encouragement, sort of a vent, under some pressure from friends

My best friend is into totally controlling her children. That was what her mom did to her. That is what she does to her kids now. They are big into James Dobson. My heart is just aching, because I am not into controlling my kids. I want them to learn inner control . Most of the time I fail, and when I do I get reminders from her way to often how much school would help my autistic three year old because he would learn by mimicking other kids. I'm so frustrated that everyone seems to think it is just fine (actually necessary) for me to pawn my child off to the government in order for him to learn. :mad Why is it that just because he has autism that automatically makes me incapable of meeting his needs at home in other peoples eyes? :mad It doesn't make sense to me. I think we are in a learning curve, plus three is just a hard age any way, for both of us. I don't think just because it is hard is a reason to throw in the towel and become a super control freak mom! Really, I just want to cry. Other than GCM there is no body in my life that really supports GD or homeschool or respects it. My support system is stinky right now. :/

malakoa 02-20-2009 04:09 PM

Re: Just need some encouragement, sort of a vent, under some pressure from friends

Yeah, let's be sure to send him somewhere he can learn to imitate yard-apes. That's a great solution!

You're doing what's right for you. :hugs

Wholly Mama 02-20-2009 04:12 PM

Re: Just need some encouragement, sort of a vent, under some pressure from friends

While outside resources can be wonderful in giving you extra support when needed, it isn't necessary for everyone, all the time. YOU are your child's mother. YOU are the expert. :hug2

MarynMunchkins 02-20-2009 07:15 PM

:hug2 Public school was an absolute *disaster* for my special needs child. The *only* reason he hasn't been hospitalized this year is because he's home with me.

You're doing fine. :yes

newday 02-20-2009 07:32 PM

:cheer You are making important choices for your family's well being - not easy, but your hard work is sure to come back to you.. We reap what we sow.
:hug

You are right to be frustrated at the lack of support and encouragement. Keep up the good work Mama!! Three IS a hard age...

ArmsOfLove 02-20-2009 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newday
:cheer You are making important choices for your family's well being - not easy, but your hard work is sure to come back to you.. We reap what we sow.
:hug

You are right to be frustrated at the lack of support and encouragement. Keep up the good work Mama!! Three IS a hard age...

:yes :hug

sweetpeasmommy 02-20-2009 07:41 PM

:hugheart Your lo needs your love and attention even more because of his special needs. You are doing a great job! :cheer :hug

tigerlily 02-20-2009 08:09 PM

Quote:

I'm so frustrated that everyone seems to think it is just fine (actually necessary) for me to pawn my child off to the government in order for him to learn. mad Why is it that just because he has autism that automatically makes me incapable of meeting his needs at home in other peoples eyes? mad It doesn't make sense to me. I think we are in a learning curve, plus three is just a hard age any way, for both of us. I don't think just because it is hard is a reason to throw in the towel
You should tell her exactly that -- if you come off as a little crazy -- even better. ;) It would probably give her pause before commenting on your parenting choices again.

Lantern Light Mama 02-20-2009 08:12 PM

Re: Just need some encouragement, sort of a vent, under some pressure from frien

I probably made her mad today. We saw a Dobson book in the thrift shop and she was starting to talk about him. I just told her I'm not into "control". :shifty

tigerlily 02-20-2009 08:18 PM

Quote:

I probably made her mad today. We saw a Dobson book in the thrift shop and she was starting to talk about him. I just told her I'm not into "control". shifty
Why should this make her mad? You're parenting your children, she's parenting hers. Maybe it's time to tell her you don't feel comfortable with Dobson and don't want to talk about him or his parenting methods anymore. Let her know you value her friendship, but these discussions are upsetting to you. A true friend will understand. :hug2

cindergretta 02-20-2009 08:23 PM

Well, she is controlling her kids. If that makes her mad, she should stop. :shifty

Afa the school/autism thing, I am so with you. My 5 y/o has Asperger's. If I get ONE more "you should put him in Kindergarten" comment, I may truly lose my cool. My favorite was when I was told to put him in a special needs pre-school so he could learn how to socialize. :hunh :scratch How is he going to learn how to socialize from other special needs kids????? He might learn their bad habits, but uh, NO THANK YOU. :rolleyes

:hugheart Cannot wait to meet you. :hug

Lantern Light Mama 02-20-2009 08:24 PM

Re: Just need some encouragement, sort of a vent, under some pressure from frien

I did but the nagging is getting to me. I love my friends....but we don't think the same.

Lantern Light Mama 02-20-2009 08:25 PM

For the sound of things, we are going to the perfect place for me to just me comfortable with being who we are (as in non conformist). lol.

Titus2Momof4 02-20-2009 09:41 PM

:hugheart It doesn't make any sense to me, either. YOU are his parent, no one will have his best interest at heart like you do. Not even the "best" teachers. :sadno

CapeTownMommy 02-20-2009 10:15 PM

:hugheart :hugheart