Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Natural Health & Nutrition Info and FAQs *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=529)
-   -   Anyone want to have our annual sunscreen discussion? LOL (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=199479)

amstermarie 04-27-2009 10:45 PM

Re: Anyone want to have our annual sunscreen discussion? LOL

ihave not been using sun screen.. i did not know about the clo.. but my dc take 2 tsp a day and we had 2 sun heavy days this weekend. someone put sunscreen on ricky sat w/o asking me :mad but it was toward the end so most of the day he did not have it on.. and sunday he had none on.. sunday night, mine and dd faces are pinkish, but not painful red.. the boys seem fine but nephew who does not take clo is blistered up :jawdrop mostly on his ears.. my sis is saying i did it, i guess she forgot i do not use sunscreen.. i thought i told her b4.. but i am going to let her know about the clo.. :yes

Codi 04-27-2009 10:52 PM

So is it just CLO or any fish oils? I take salmon oil.

I use California Baby on my ds....when I decided to use it. :shrug3

Id love to get him taking a fish oil, but would really prefer he take the salmon oil. Can I squeeze some into a drink for him out of my capsule or something?

rebecuna 04-28-2009 04:03 AM

I got some Jasons recently, but haven't been happy with it. I didn't realize it wasn't waterproof. Is that the case with all the paraben-free ones? It says "water-resistant" but I don't know what that means... when DS steps in the water I can see the white stuff streaming off him. :yes2 DS lives in the water, so I feel like I need something with more "lasting power".

We use rash guard also-- I love it! Make sure you get the kind with SPF, otherwise you can get burned right through it. And the rash guard I bought for myself was from a surfing website, and is the real deal-- i.e. TIGHT! like, almost restricts my breathing, tight, despite my ordering a size up from normal! I wish it was looser, since I don't need protection from rocks or coral or anything :P~ but oh well.

joy 04-28-2009 04:57 AM

subbing with gusto. :cool

cheri 04-28-2009 05:05 AM

You can get rash guards as well as skirts and swimming shorts for kids and adults and Lands End with UPF 50

I haven't purchased one for myself, but I have purchased some for dd, and they are great when we are going to be at the pool for several hours... and even better when we go to visit my IL's at the beach.

They're actually on sale until tomorrow for 30% off

tempus vernum 04-28-2009 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rebecuna
I got some Jasons recently, but haven't been happy with it. I didn't realize it wasn't waterproof. Is that the case with all the paraben-free ones? It says "water-resistant" but I don't know what that means... when DS steps in the water I can see the white stuff streaming off him. :yes2 DS lives in the water, so I feel like I need something with more "lasting power".

All sunscreens will stream off like that if you don't put them on at least 20 minutes before giving them time for the to be absorbed into the skin. What we do is I lather up my kids and then we get all our swimming stuff together and go to the bathroom. That gives it time to sink in. Or if it is lunch time, I lather them up and let them eat. :) My kids are used to the 20 minute rule - even the 3yo ;)

For our pale faced family, we still use sunscreen in the water between 12 and 3 or 4. Otherwise, we are like lobsters as we live in the pool in the summer ;)

blossomnatalia 05-04-2009 02:19 PM

Could someone tell me if this one is OK... I have no idea what to look for because I never had to buy any before :O

http://www.burtsbees.com/webapp/wcs/...0001&langId=-1

Any bad stuff I should be avoiding?

Herbwifemama 05-04-2009 03:56 PM

The two things I would research for that sunscreen are how small the titanium dioxide particles are, and what aluminum hydroxide is. I think the rest of that stuff is fairly safe- though I'd be wary of the plant extracts and their compatibilities with pregnancy, if that's an issue (which I know it's isnt' for YOU atm, but in general ;))

naturemama1 05-07-2009 12:50 PM

We're all extremely fair. I'm of the pale redheaded variety that burns in about half a second, and my DH is Norwegian, so all our kids are super fair. We've stopped using sunscreen for the last several years and haven't gotten any burns, but we have a shady yard, live in the woods, and wear sunhats. We get some sunshine exposure for vitamin D, but not enough to tan.

There are a few days out of each year when a lot of exposure is unavoidable (beach, fairs, sailing), and then I'll slather everyone up with UV Natural. It's expensive, but it works really well and lasts for years.

Desert Rose 05-07-2009 01:05 PM

We wear sunscreen if we will be outdoors for more than 20 minutes or we will burn (ds and I are fair to moderate redheads). I have already had skin cancer taken off of my forehead. We also wear hats. It is impossible to avoid the sun in the desert unless you have no life and live indoors. :yes2 I try to go with more natural products, but not always.

expatmom 05-07-2009 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Desert Rose
We wear sunscreen if we will be outdoors for more than 20 minutes or we will burn (ds and I are fair to moderate redheads). I have already had skin cancer taken off of my forehead. We also wear hats. It is impossible to avoid the sun in the desert unless you have no life and live indoors. :yes2 I try to go with more natural products, but not always.

We are like you. Our whole family is blond & pale skinned. We have a strong family history for skin cancer on both sides. We wear hats & appropriate cover ups like rash guards. We spend a lot of time in the sun playing sports & the like, so for us sunscreen is inevitable. I've weighed the pros and cons & for our family it is definitely worth it.

PacisEtAmor 05-08-2009 11:32 AM

I have fair skin and burn easily, so when i know i'm going to be out in the sun for awhile i use Jason brand baby sunscreen. I use it mainly on my arms and face (usually the only parts exposed to sun.)

KLin 05-08-2009 11:46 AM

I need safe, non irritating sunscreen by the gallon with a pump. :yes We are very pale, live in the valley of the sun and have a pool and big yard.

Niphredil 05-08-2009 12:00 PM

Anyone ever make their own sunscreen? I don't have the money for UV naturals this summer. :(

I found a few recipes on MDC... I'm wondering though if I could just use coconut oil & powdered zinc oxide?

KLin 05-08-2009 03:08 PM

I found what I need. This is what I am going to use this summer, not too expensive, good coverage with a pump :yes Oh, and free shipping. :heart

http://www.amazon.com/Rocky-Mountain...820287&sr=8-35