Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Natural Health & Nutrition Info and FAQs *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=529)
-   -   Anyone want to have our annual sunscreen discussion? LOL (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=199479)

cobluegirl 04-27-2009 05:13 PM

Re: Anyone want to have our annual sunscreen discussion? LOL

This is actually 2 years old..LOL I thought there was one last year but I couldn't find it...

KatieMae 04-27-2009 05:13 PM

:popcorn

joyful mama 04-27-2009 05:17 PM

my dh and youngest 2 have REALLY sensitive, irish white skin. I"m just about to order Avalon Organics tonight, actually. its reasonable at vitacost.

I have no idea if I could get my kids to take fish oil :think

Herbwifemama 04-27-2009 05:21 PM

I give dd a strawberry flavored gel capsule, it's formulated especially for kids. I think it's Nordic Naturals brand. I've been taking "medicine" longer than dd, so she was excited to be able to have her own "medicine". Let them smell the bottle before they taste it. The taste is mild, but the smell is amazing! :)

TuneMyHeart 04-27-2009 05:25 PM

Ellie loves fish oil. :shifty She's taken the Nordic Naturals strawberry oil and Carlson's lemon flavor with no problem.

Anyone familiar with Soleo?

GodChick 04-27-2009 05:31 PM

Another Alba lover here. :heart (Although this year, we can't afford it, so we are using cheapie Coppertone sunblock. :shrug3 ) The sun here is brutal, and I am a redhead with the complexion that goes with it. My kids didn't get my red hair, but they got my porcelain (I like that word better than pasty, har!) skin and we will literally burn within 10 minutes of being in the sun. It is so hot here (over 100 in the summer), that there is no way we can rely on clothing coverage to keep us protected, so the options for us really are using sunscreen or burning. :shrug3 (We will burn before 10am and after 5pm, too, and will burn in the shade. I have also worn a white T-shirt over my swimming suit while swimming and burned right through it. :doh )

I am interested in learning more about the St.JW oil, though. I hadn't heard of that. I do take CLO, but I have yet to find one my kids will take. ;)

TrinMama 04-27-2009 05:50 PM

any links to info on the fish oil? DH is a skeptic.

FaithfilledGranolaChick 04-27-2009 06:31 PM

subbing

last year we used Alba and I have been trying to take the time to figure out what we are going to use this year (we are in Fl and out in the sun a lot)

tempus vernum 04-27-2009 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Herbwifemama
I give dd a strawberry flavored gel capsule, it's formulated especially for kids. I think it's Nordic Naturals brand. I've been taking "medicine" longer than dd, so she was excited to be able to have her own "medicine". Let them smell the bottle before they taste it. The taste is mild, but the smell is amazing! :)

We've tried Nordic natural strawberry and carlson's lemon. We've tried the chewables, we've tried the liquid :doh

My other kids loved their "cherry medicine" :shrug but this child is WAY too texture sensitive to eat every kind we try :sigh The funny is that the other kids finish up the stuff that I buy her to try :doh Thankfully, she LOVES chewable greens which also help protect your skin ;)

I am patiently waiting until I can teach her to swallow pills and get her started on the little capsules soon ;) . gonna start this summer as we taught Luke at 3.5 :grin

joyful mama 04-27-2009 08:30 PM

wow, swallowing capsules at 3.5!!!

well, i just ordered the strawberry ones from nordic naturals... we'll see. its hot and cold what they will take :shrug3

cobluegirl 04-27-2009 08:59 PM

I had one that swallowed pills (not horse pills) at 3..my bro did too. Even the chewable NN CLO you can swallow.they are the size of a pea.

tempus vernum 04-27-2009 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cobluegirl
I had one that swallowed pills (not horse pills) at 3..my bro did too. Even the chewable NN CLO you can swallow.they are the size of a pea.

:yes that is my hope that I can get her doing the NN CLO ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by joyful mama
wow, swallowing capsules at 3.5!!!

Well, with Luke being on chemo, we trained him to swallow 3 or 4 pills at once at 3.5 yo ;) He actually by 4yo was swallowing 8 little methotrexates. . . this has nothing to do with the thread :doh but he had to swallow 12 or 13 pills at 1am and so we taught him to do all the chemo at once and all the symptom meds at once. So a capsule was no big deal at that point ;)

now, savana I am just hoping for the dinky little NN's . . . being texture sensitive, I am not sure it's possible but. . . she's starting to ask to do it like the older kids. She puts a chewable vit c on her tongue and takes a drink of water and then chews. I am just glad she gets it already ;)

TestifyToLove 04-27-2009 09:23 PM

So, we did our first sun heavy day yesterday and we're doing Disney in 17 days.

I skipped sunscreen in the African, Indian and Mexican and they had no problems. Ch was in the water ALL day and forgot 2 meals because he was swimming and nothing. E and C skipped sunscreen. They were both pink on their faces and shoulders this am. C used the aloe and green tea lotion like I told him and it was gone instantly. E used the lotion on her shoulders but disobeyed DH and I and repeatedly slathered vaseline on her face (the container says its for burns :/ ) Her face was still burnt at bedtime when we threatened to throw away her vaseline if she smeared it on hr face again. R requested sunscreen from my sister, applied only once and no pink. L was in and out of the water and thus spent aout 50% of her time in the shade. She also wore a rashguard shirt and got no pink at all. J I kept in the shade. He's the only one I haven't had a chance to confirm whether he got Daddy's native american skin tones or not.

But, I've got to figure out sunscreen for ME for Orlando. Unlike all of my children, I have NO ancestry that creates melanine designed to protect from the sun and I will turn loster instantly.

I need something heavy duty for me and something light for all the kids faces because we'll be in the sun SO much that week.

Would the Oils work for the kids, since they do all genetically have natural defenses (assuming J inherited like the others)? Might it help me not require so heavy duty for me?

cheri 04-27-2009 09:50 PM

We have used Earth's Best sunblock. It is very thick- so thick that it's tough to really spread it on. I think that's the point, though.

I like Alba, too. Not as thick.

We try to do all the right things like wearing appropriate clothes, we stay out of the sun during peak hours, etc. But we are all very fair skinned, so unless we go swimming only in the dark, if we don't wear sunblock, we will burn quickly.

blossomnatalia 04-27-2009 10:08 PM

:popcorn

I never had to use sunscreen on my kids... they got my Portuguese skin but my third girl appears to be *white* :hunh...so I guess I will have to make a decision... but i do hate the stuff...