Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Gardening *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=431)
-   -   Vegetable & Fruit Gardening, 2018 (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=525068)

tempestjewel 06-29-2018 02:33 PM

Re: Vegetable & Fruit Gardening, 2018

So far we've harvested lettuce, loads and loads of snow and sugar snap peas, kale, rhubarb, loads of lettuce, and several pounds of raspberries (plus the kids have been eating off the bushes!). Zucchini are forming and we have some green tomatoes. My purple carrots are almost ready, orange need a couple more weeks. Cabbage is starting to ball up. I love this time of year in the garden! :heart

Soliloquy 06-29-2018 04:28 PM

Forgot we also got a lot of asparagus this year. I've decided against expanding our asparagus bed. My kids won't eat if after it's been frozen. We all like it very lightly steamed and still crisp. But not blanched, frozen, and re-heated. And I froze about 10 lbs. Oh well. I think they'll eat cream of asparagus soup this winter but not by itself.

2sunshines 07-01-2018 03:34 AM

My rhubarb is out in full abundance!

My herb and veggie garden looks great -- lots of growth and lots of blooms. Right after planting baby bunnies decimated my broccoli and cauliflower so I put up a new fence and that has seemed to work well! Didn't replant broccoli and cauliflower tho -- figured I'll try again next year.

We had to cut down our peach tree. For some inexplicable reason it died. :( I hope to replace it with a couple of fruit trees soon.

tempestjewel 07-01-2018 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2sunshines (Post 6147343)
My rhubarb is out in full abundance!

My herb and veggie garden looks great -- lots of growth and lots of blooms. Right after planting baby bunnies decimated my broccoli and cauliflower so I put up a new fence and that has seemed to work well! Didn't replant broccoli and cauliflower tho -- figured I'll try again next year.

We had to cut down our peach tree. For some inexplicable reason it died. :( I hope to replace it with a couple of fruit trees soon.

:cry for your peach tree! It's so hard losing established trees! :hugheart

Soliloquy 07-01-2018 10:27 PM

I'm so sorry about your peach tree. :( My biggest blueberry bush suddenly died. :(

All the thyme, sage, oregano, and mint are going crazy. And the dill.

ECingMama 07-01-2018 10:34 PM

What a fun thread! (that's actually the result of lots of work!)

I can still plant a plant in a container and get something, right? Doh. It'll be warm through Oct.

Soliloquy 07-01-2018 10:36 PM

Oh yes, especially if you buy tomato plants. And it's never too late to plant greens.

tempestjewel 09-17-2018 01:05 PM

I only planted two dwarf zucchini plants and :jawdrop SO much zucchini! By far my most prolific crop this year!

What are you guys planting for Autumn/Winter? I'm going to pull the zucchini soon and plant corn salad as an edible cover crop. My Swiss chard is doing much better this time of year. Leaf miners always munch on it if I sow in the spring. I've got some pac choi coming on (I will pick it and plant winter lettuce in its place). Collards, and three kinds of kale are smallish but should be good eating this fall. Tomatoes are almost done. My summer, heat-loving bed goes to crimson clover for the winter. And only a little longer before garlic goes in. I've got some over-wintering carrots in, but we usually eat them before they can over-winter :giggle

Soliloquy 09-18-2018 04:56 PM

We just got back home from vacation and fall is here! It was late summer weather when we left. Now, it's definitely fall. Not sure how many more tomatoes will ripen. :sigh

But we have seedless concord grapes ready and they are amazing.

The winter squash seems to be doing well. Still getting zucchini.

I'm going to plant lettuce,, spinach and kale. Not sure how much we'll get, I should've planted it a few weeks ago but I knew I wouldn't be home to water seedlings.

2sunshines 09-18-2018 05:35 PM

I have a peach tree again! Seriously. I cut it down and instructed by 17 year old to dig out the stump. Before he got around to it (the one time I'm super thankful for his procrastination :shifty:lol) a new tree sprouted out of the side of the trunk!!!!! It's actually already about 4 feet high! So I know it will take time but man, a new tree from what was a dead tree! :rockon

Half of my heirloom tomato plants seem to be done producing for the season. The other two are still going strong.

Most of my zucchini is done but I still have a small section that is producing.

My herbs of course are still there and plentiful.

My rhubarb, which provided in abundance in the spring then at some point in the summer pretty much died out faced a resurgence and is producing again!

I've never done a fall planting. Is that much of an option in Michigan? Sadly winter and frost comes very quickly.... :sigh

Soliloquy 09-19-2018 01:15 PM

Yes, a fall planting of greens should work, depending on your zone. If an early frost is predicted, you can throw a bedsheet or a light tarp over them before you go to bed. Remove after sunrise, not before.

I'm zone 5 and I plant greens in the fall.

You can also build a coldframe and have greens into winter. If you're feeling industrious. :lol