Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=421)
-   -   How can I make the switch from the Pearls to GCM? (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=148923)

erinee 02-10-2006 03:29 PM

Re: How can I make the switch from the Pearls to GCM?

How wonderful!! I'm so happy to hear about your success! :heart

erinee 02-10-2006 03:29 PM

How wonderful!! I'm so happy to hear about your success! :heart

canadiyank 02-10-2006 03:41 PM

I am so glad you found us! I have always used GBD with my kids but still stuggle with a punitive-mindset...it's not something that is easy to give up. A book that made a big difference to me was "Families Where Grace is in Place" by Jeff VanVonderen. It has to do with all family relationships, and really explains the difference between grace and wanting to control.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/155...Fencoding=UTF8

Also, one thing that helped me was to replace the word "obedience" (which, as you understood from Crystal's site, you cannot force, and it's not your job to force anyways) with "compliance" ....IOW, I expect my child to comply with what I ask her to do. I know it's worrisome to think this is being permissive, but being non-punitive does not have to equal permissiveness.

canadiyank 02-10-2006 03:41 PM

I am so glad you found us! I have always used GBD with my kids but still stuggle with a punitive-mindset...it's not something that is easy to give up. A book that made a big difference to me was "Families Where Grace is in Place" by Jeff VanVonderen. It has to do with all family relationships, and really explains the difference between grace and wanting to control.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/155...Fencoding=UTF8

Also, one thing that helped me was to replace the word "obedience" (which, as you understood from Crystal's site, you cannot force, and it's not your job to force anyways) with "compliance" ....IOW, I expect my child to comply with what I ask her to do. I know it's worrisome to think this is being permissive, but being non-punitive does not have to equal permissiveness.

ArmsOfLove 02-10-2006 06:09 PM

what a wonderful update :D

ArmsOfLove 02-10-2006 06:09 PM

what a wonderful update :D

katiekind 02-10-2006 06:33 PM

One thing that I learned as I parented my children is that cultivating a close relationship with them ALWAYS pays off. At times they misbehave, and a lot of the misbehavior is age/stage related, but when you have the relationship, you have the necessary basis for them to WANT to obey you. If you have that, you have SO much. If you don't have a solid relationship....invest in it. Invest, invest, invest.

I never expected my children to obey like automatons. I know they are people, just as I am. They may have internal struggles as they get to the point of obeying (just like I do.) As their parent at times I enforce the rules, and at other times I serve as a resource to HELP them. Actually at this point I only have one child at home, so I should stop writing "them, them" so much! But actually, I still HELP the older children, by being available to talk and listen and by praying for them.

I am so excited for you. Welcome! :heart

katiekind 02-10-2006 06:33 PM

One thing that I learned as I parented my children is that cultivating a close relationship with them ALWAYS pays off. At times they misbehave, and a lot of the misbehavior is age/stage related, but when you have the relationship, you have the necessary basis for them to WANT to obey you. If you have that, you have SO much. If you don't have a solid relationship....invest in it. Invest, invest, invest.

I never expected my children to obey like automatons. I know they are people, just as I am. They may have internal struggles as they get to the point of obeying (just like I do.) As their parent at times I enforce the rules, and at other times I serve as a resource to HELP them. Actually at this point I only have one child at home, so I should stop writing "them, them" so much! But actually, I still HELP the older children, by being available to talk and listen and by praying for them.

I am so excited for you. Welcome! :heart

Reva 02-10-2006 06:57 PM

Praise God, mama for your wonderful update! :amen

Reva 02-10-2006 06:57 PM

Praise God, mama for your wonderful update! :amen

UltraMother 02-10-2006 07:17 PM

Another welcome!

I followed some Pearl teachings also, for about 3 years. :blush I didn't follow them perfectly, but enough to really mess some things up. It's extremely hard to get those ideas out of your head- they really stick! I really recommend getting rid of your Pearl materials ASAP. If you keep them around, you will be tempted to look at them again, when you mind tells you that they should obey like simple mules.

It sounds like you already have lots of good things going with your kids. :tu It's even better when you realize that you don't have to punish them to discipline them, and they stop looking at you with fear!

UltraMother 02-10-2006 07:17 PM

Another welcome!

I followed some Pearl teachings also, for about 3 years. :blush I didn't follow them perfectly, but enough to really mess some things up. It's extremely hard to get those ideas out of your head- they really stick! I really recommend getting rid of your Pearl materials ASAP. If you keep them around, you will be tempted to look at them again, when you mind tells you that they should obey like simple mules.

It sounds like you already have lots of good things going with your kids. :tu It's even better when you realize that you don't have to punish them to discipline them, and they stop looking at you with fear!

butterflymommy 02-10-2006 07:34 PM

I shared w/ my dh how wonderful it was not to "see" fear in my son's eyes. Sometimes, when I reach for him, he instantly flinched, thinking I will hit him. :( I am NOT a mean mommy, but apparently my spanking has the same affects on him as it does a whipped dog. I was being mean!!!! :sad2 :cry. :bheart This afternoon, I let my son CRY! He was sad that the Winnie the Pooh show was over. Normally, if I hear him crying, I immediately get angry, and judge him. I was programmed to believe that his crying/whining is all bad. I went to him, and just listened to his sadness. I held him and said that I would be sad if my favorite show was over, too. I hugged him and he sniffed-whimpered, then began to play with his cars. WOW! :tu

butterflymommy 02-10-2006 07:34 PM

I shared w/ my dh how wonderful it was not to "see" fear in my son's eyes. Sometimes, when I reach for him, he instantly flinched, thinking I will hit him. :( I am NOT a mean mommy, but apparently my spanking has the same affects on him as it does a whipped dog. I was being mean!!!! :sad2 :cry. :bheart This afternoon, I let my son CRY! He was sad that the Winnie the Pooh show was over. Normally, if I hear him crying, I immediately get angry, and judge him. I was programmed to believe that his crying/whining is all bad. I went to him, and just listened to his sadness. I held him and said that I would be sad if my favorite show was over, too. I hugged him and he sniffed-whimpered, then began to play with his cars. WOW! :tu

Mamatoto 02-10-2006 07:37 PM

:heart glad you are here!