Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Joyous Homekeeping *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=429)
-   -   Why not bleach? (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=121631)

llghoney 10-31-2008 04:58 PM

Re: Why not bleach?

You knwo what is crazy is a friend of mine used bleach & water on her grandaughter (2yrs old) the other day because she got into a bed of ants. I freaked out & siad "Is that safe?" She said it is if you use a ton of water due to it gets the poison out. Not so sure I could ever do that! :no

klpmommy 11-09-2008 05:18 PM

You know what worked great in my shower getting the grout much whiter? I sprayed hydrogen peroxide on the lines & then used a stiff brush in each area. It is sparkly now. :)

sothisislove 11-16-2008 07:15 PM

What do you mommas say to your mommas when you hear, "Well, that's crazy. My mom used bleach when I was growing up and I used bleach when you were growing up. We turned out fine." ???

I never know what to say and I hear that kinda comment from all sorts of ppl!

Rabbit 11-16-2008 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sothisislove
What do you mommas say to your mommas when you hear, "Well, that's crazy. My mom used bleach when I was growing up and I used bleach when you were growing up. We turned out fine." ???

"Well that's great! You just keep right on doing what you're doing!"

MarynMunchkins 11-16-2008 07:19 PM

:shrug "I'm glad you're fine. I make different choices for my family." :beandip

klpmommy 11-16-2008 07:31 PM

Quote:

Depending on the person & the relationship I have with them, plus if I think they are sincere or defensive--- I sometimes will say things like "We know more now. There are lots of things that people did many years ago that are no longer considered to be the best. That doesn't mean you did something bad, it just means you worked with the knowledge you had. I wonder what things I am doing now that in 30 years people will realize were 'not the best'? I remember riding on the floor board of the front seat of the car when I was 5-- it was the warmest spot in the car. Now we would never consider letting our kids do that, at 5 they are usually still in a seat of some kind."

herbalwriter 11-17-2008 06:03 AM

I have always been amused by the "but I/we turned out fine," defense. "Fine" is a pretty salient and vague description! How do we know we're "fine"? Are cancer cells busily multiplying in our bodies while we speak, due to bleach exposure? did our great-uncle's cancer have anything to do with his family's use of bleach? Most of the time, people just don't think very deeply about the potentially interconnected nature of things. They'd rather just say they're "fine." :rolleyes

There is one use of bleach I can condone - when my septic system backed up and my basement had an inch of raw sewage in places, :sick :sick :sick I shop-vac'd up the sewage and then poured bleach solution in the places where the sewage was, then shop vac'd that up. I didn't see any alternative. But that's a one-time deal (I hope!!), and it's not the same as using bleach every day. :no

This turned into a bit of a soap - or should I say bleach - box! :O

Auroras mom 04-28-2009 08:57 AM

Bleach irritates my lungs so badly, but it is the only thing I have found in Florida to work for cleaning the mold/mildew that is in the wet areas (behind the kitchen sink, shower tile). Even with bleach and cleaning very often, I have to scrub, scurb, scurb - using plenty of elbow grease. I have tried oxyclean (basically hydrogen peroxide), vinegar, and baking soda and none worked at all. I can't imagine being able to make a solution that was concentrated enough w/ GSE or TTO, without it being cost prohibitive.

My mom always usd Comet when I was growing up - but whatever the chemicals are in that, they are pretty heinous as well.

herbalwriter 04-28-2009 12:50 PM

My mom used Comet, too, and I still remember the smell - it was cloying on the hands and they would smell for hours after using it. :sick

I have finally found an alternative to bleach for mildew - Naturally Clean. You have to stay on top of it and spray it on often, but if you do a Tilex spray down and use NC to maintain, you shouldn't have to use Tilex again. And if you miss some time it will remove the mildew with soaking and scrubbing (although not as well as Tilex I confess, but still remarkably well).
http://www.chemfreesolutions.com/mildew.htm

sothisislove 05-22-2009 10:58 AM

OK, so we just bought a house that has a pool. We can't afford any non-chlorine options. WHY work so hard (well...it's not hard) but why put effort in to using safe products and stuff in my home if we're just going to soak up chlorine pool water all summer. I know my 2yo will want to be in the water daily. sigh....UGH!

AppleSauceCookies 05-25-2009 09:54 PM

We don't allow bleach in the house. Drives relatives nuts for some reason :shrug3 We use TTO and GSE in spray bottles, chlorine free bleach, peroxide, vinegar, and lemon juice.

Mabre 06-10-2009 09:31 AM

This thread has enlightened me so much. I through out all my harsh cleaning stuff yesterday. I've been using vinegar a lot to clean already. but I took the extra step and through the others out. It felt so good.... :lol

herbalwriter 06-11-2009 09:33 AM

Quote:

OK, so we just bought a house that has a pool. We can't afford any non-chlorine options. WHY work so hard (well...it's not hard) but why put effort in to using safe products and stuff in my home if we're just going to soak up chlorine pool water all summer. I know my 2yo will want to be in the water daily. sigh....UGH!

:hug2
I used to have a huge, above-ground pool. At that time, I could afford non-chlorine options but they were indeed expensive. Won't most of the chlorine evaporate out in 24 hours or so? :think

ambergentlemom 09-19-2010 06:24 AM

I actually thought it was because light accelerated the breakdown of H2O2 into H2O since H2O2 is relatively unstable and wants to become a stabler H2O???

RedPetals 04-06-2011 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Singingmom (Post 241693)
Why can't you combine them?

To prevent mold/mildew in the shower, I spray after every shower with Arm&Hammer's Clean Shower. I don't want to know if that's not ok! :shifty I scrubbed the tile shower when we moved in a year ago, and I haven't cleaned it since! No sign of mold or mildew. Well, the caulk did get a little black mold under it and dh replaced it.

I love Seventh Generation's natural cleaners in the kitchen and the bathroom. They're pricey, but they last a long time, so I splurge.

The only thing I use bleach on is when I launder my fabric shower curtain, which gets a little orange mold at the bottom where it stays wet. Can anyone tell me another way to get that out? Just laundry det. doesn't work.

Not sure if someone else answered the shower curtain question from forever ago - but Oxiclean works on mine! Sometimes I soak it in Oxi first A?ND add it to the wash. Works great.