Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Natural Health & Nutrition Info and FAQs *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=529)
-   -   Talk to me about coconut oil (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=221848)

allisonintx 10-12-2007 12:00 PM

Re: Talk to me about coconut oil

Ok, I went and bought the oil a couple of days ago. I love the texture of the oil and can hardly wait to try it in lieu of butter in my next banana bread. I realized that or cooking, it needs a little salt to counter the sweetness of the oil for the way that I cook.

I used it when making Annie's noodles, because the sauce always seems so thin with just the milk. It made it really really creamy with only a teaspoon of oil in addition to the normal milk. The difference was amazing.

cobluegirl 10-12-2007 12:10 PM

yummy...I love it in buttermilk biscuits....makes them so flakey.
we use it for eggs, frying foods, eye make-up remover, personal lube, eczema.....
I buy the Nutiva brand also. It is my favorite. I get it at www.vitacost.com
http://www.wildernessfamilynaturals.com/ this is also a good place to get it I think cost wise..not sure on the brand though...there site is very informative.

LisaM do post about losing weight on it? I haven't experienced that yet...must be doing something wrong..and all my books are in storage still....

allisonintx 10-12-2007 12:12 PM

wow, that's a LOT cheaper than buying it at the HFS!

Ok, I bought two different things of the oil. One is Nature's Way and it was in the supplement section and the other was Spectrum "Refined" in the cooking section. The Spectrum is less coconutty smelling, and is what I've been using in my cooking regular savory cooking.

Have any of you used these brands *and* the Nutiva? If so, how do they compare?

cobluegirl 10-12-2007 12:23 PM

I have used the spectrum but prefer the coconuty flavor of the nutiva. I have used the spectrum topically....right now we have the jarrow coconut oil for topical use.

crunchymum 10-12-2007 02:39 PM

isn't the refined stuff not so good for you? :scratch

allisonintx 10-12-2007 02:45 PM

see, I couldn't remember, and that's why I bought one of each.

I used the oil as a moisturizer after my bath today, including on my face, and I'm amazed at how well it was absorbed.

tempus vernum 10-12-2007 02:46 PM

:jawdrop Holy schmoly you guys need to be in a co-op :yes $54 for a gallon is good :hunh I am so shocked. I pay way less than that.

Allison, I have used spectrum and nutiva (started with spectrum till I realized I needed unrefined). Nutiva is definitely way better but spectrum works fine :) .

I have heard that you should have ex virgin, unrefined, raw but I don't know that refined is "bad" just not as good I think :think

Rabbit 10-12-2007 02:52 PM

I got a bottle of Jarrow coconut oil just for lube and moisturizer. I was afraid to cook with it.

crunchymum 10-12-2007 03:02 PM

afraid because of the taste?

Rabbit 10-12-2007 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crunchymum
afraid because of the taste?

Because I don't know how it will cook. So I have no idea which recipes it will go best in. All fats impact recipes differently. And I can't stand to waste food on experiments.

crunchymum 10-12-2007 03:11 PM

oh, ok... for some reason i was thinking just using it in the pan or whatever... :doh i do know that it has a much higher heat point than other oils, and because it's primarily saturated fat it doesn't oxidize like unsaturated fats do.

Nightingale 10-12-2007 03:13 PM

I haven't used it in much as far as baking, but it helps make wonderful biscuits and cookies. :yum

righteous mama 10-12-2007 03:18 PM

NOW was in the supplement section. It is expellor something er other. I can't remember, but it takes most of the coconutty taste out. I can't stand coconut, so it works for me.

I bought it because a little old Asian lady started a coversation with me at Whole Foods and she told me it was best. She told me it was good for weight loss and skin. I bought it on the spot. :lol

Rabbit 10-12-2007 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crunchymum
oh, ok... for some reason i was thinking just using it in the pan or whatever... :doh i do know that it has a much higher heat point than other oils, and because it's primarily saturated fat it doesn't oxidize like unsaturated fats do.

:giggle I have no clue. I know that some fats make a recipe dry and crumbly, like shortening. Some fats make a recipe creamy and rich, like butter. Some make the same recipe thin and crispy, usually the runnier fats like oils. I know that Smart Balance is a thinner, runnier fat than Earth's Best, though they're both butter substitutes.

What is coconut oil going to do? It's not an oil exactly, nor is it a spread.

cobluegirl 10-12-2007 03:26 PM

it behaves just like other oil..other than it gets solid at room temp....You can melt it first to be liquidy in recipes that call for oil....it is a total replacement..