PDA

View Full Version : Fruit butters or jams

CelticJourney
06-25-2020, 07:43 AM
Is it workable to make something like peach butter without pealing the peach?:shifty It's the worst! I do strawberry butter and blueberry and it's so easy. I want to do peach and have in the past, but it's so much extra work for so little outcome. ALSO I understand that many of the nutrients are in the skin...yes?

My thought had been to put the peaches through the blender before putting them in the crock pot.

knitlove
06-25-2020, 09:10 AM
I think it should work with out pealing them. It will change the texture some. I stoped pealing peaches for cobblers years and years ago, it changes the mouth feel but not in a bad way in my opinion.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

CelticJourney
06-25-2020, 09:24 AM
Thanks!

ViolaMum
06-25-2020, 10:53 AM
Do you have a food mill? It will strain out some of the peel. I hate peeling tomatoes and run them through the food mill instead when I make certain sauces. That would be my second choice if I didn't like the unpeeled version.

Lady Grey
06-25-2020, 10:58 AM
What about thawing frozen peaches?

CelticJourney
06-25-2020, 11:29 AM
What about thawing frozen peaches?
Definitely an option.:yes I'm in the peach capital of the country (which is not Georgia by the way:shifty), so I really want to use some of what is coming right off the trees at this point.

---------- Post added at 02:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:27 PM ----------

I put what I had through the food processor and am doing a small batch. I'll use dh as test subject.:giggle

Love_Is_Patient
06-25-2020, 04:26 PM
I make apple butter with unpeeled apples. I blend it with a hand blender at least once during the process. There are usually bits of peel visible but everyone still likes it.

CelticJourney
06-25-2020, 04:47 PM
I make apple butter with unpeeled apples. I blend it with a hand blender at least once during the process. There are usually bits of peel visible but everyone still likes it.
YEAH! Fall just got easier too!

Dh says the small batch is good:) He just came back with a piece of peta bread covered in it, so not sure there will be anything to can.:)

ECingMama
06-25-2020, 05:38 PM
I never peel things. Sounds yummy!!

Beatrice
08-04-2020, 03:39 AM
I do not peel any fruits really. Just can't see the peeling point. I like the pieces that stays, they make me feel like it's really a natural one. The skin is the healthiest part of most fruits. Don't see reasons to waste vitamins and time.

Maedchen
08-04-2020, 07:47 AM
I think you can blanch peaches like you do tomatoes and shocked them in ice water with the peel just rolling off if you care to take the peel off.

PrincessAnika
08-17-2020, 08:04 PM
I think you can blanch peaches like you do tomatoes and shocked them in ice water with the peel just rolling off if you care to take the peel off.

:yes this is how my mom cans her peaches, it does come off fairly easily that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk