PDA

View Full Version : Instant Pot - dry beans

Lady Grey
03-02-2020, 02:57 PM
I've only tried dry beans in the IP a couple of times and wasn't thrilled with the results. If you are having success with this, what is your method? We usually eat pinto beans. TIA

Aerynne
03-02-2020, 02:58 PM
Did you do a soak cycle and and a cook cycle?

mommychem
03-02-2020, 03:17 PM

This. Iíve never cooked them straight from dry. I always forget to soak, but I also always do a four minute soak cycle. You have to wait for it to come to pressure then wait for it to come back down before you open it. I pour the soaking water off. Then add more to cook according to the time recommended in the manual. Itís still a timesaver for me considering how quickly they cook after and the fact that I didnít do a overnight soak.

Lady Grey
03-02-2020, 04:01 PM

It's been a while, but I don't think I did? I'm sure the instructions came off of pinterest, because that tends to be where I start with IP stuff. The texture just wasn't what we are used to. (canned)

I've done a couple of beans+rice recipes with dry beans that were fine, but of course that doesn't help with needing just beans.

Aerynne
03-02-2020, 04:09 PM
You also have to add lots of salt when you cook them.

If you donít like them, try blending them for a more refried bean type product.

Soliloquy
03-02-2020, 04:39 PM
Soaking really gives the best results. Rinse after soaking.

---------- Post added at 03:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:35 PM ----------

This thread was moved from The Cookbook to a sub-forum, Pressure Cooker Recipes. Both are public.

Llee
03-02-2020, 04:57 PM
I do dry weekly. I sort, dump in with a lot of water, add in all seasonings and salt, and do it for an hour. The 30 minutes guideline was nonsense for us, given the salt.

knitlove
03-02-2020, 09:06 PM
Oh neaver soak my beans when I prusher cook them. I copied the chart of times from hip prusher cooking and have it on my cabnet door.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 11:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:53 PM ----------

This is what I use. So for pento beans 20 min for unsoaked and 7 for soaked beans. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200303/adb7e71b2e8e67d4dfbbd0467fce9fcf.jpg

heartofjoy
03-03-2020, 02:49 PM
I do dry weekly. I sort, dump in with a lot of water, add in all seasonings and salt, and do it for an hour. The 30 minutes guideline was nonsense for us, given the salt.

Yes, this is how I do them too. Pinto beans and black beans take 1 hour and usually I do the slow release. I like my beans softer.

---------- Post added at 03:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:48 PM ----------

Oh neaver soak my beans when I prusher cook them. I copied the chart of times from hip prusher cooking and have it on my cabnet door.

---------- Post added at 11:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:53 PM ----------

This is what I use. So for pento beans 20 min for unsoaked and 7 for soaked beans. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200303/adb7e71b2e8e67d4dfbbd0467fce9fcf.jpg

In my Instant Pot, pinto beans would be still rock hard after only 20 minutes. :shrug3

knitlove
03-03-2020, 09:15 PM
Yes, this is how I do them too. Pinto beans and black beans take 1 hour and usually I do the slow release. I like my beans softer.

---------- Post added at 03:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:48 PM ----------

In my Instant Pot, pinto beans would be still rock hard after only 20 minutes. :shrug3With 20 min at prusher? I normally do natural release because I am not at home.when it finishes. So 20 min at prusher but probably about an hour in the pot total.

heartofjoy
03-04-2020, 02:31 PM
With 20 min at prusher? I normally do natural release because I am not at home.when it finishes. So 20 min at prusher but probably about an hour in the pot total.

Maybe not rock hard, but I do 60 minutes in the Instant Pot and then let natural release. I was doing 45 minutes, but sometimes a few of the beans would still be firm. I like them soft and easy to mash.

Maybe it's different pots? Do different brands have different pressures? I don't know much about pressure cooking. I've only done it since getting the IP awhile ago.

Sundance
03-04-2020, 02:39 PM
I do them from dry in my IP regularly. I did significantly up the time suggested, though.

I do a QR, no salt or seasonings & give them good rinse before adding to my recipe.

heartofjoy
03-04-2020, 02:41 PM
I rinse my beans, but I do add salt and seasonings. Maybe that makes them take longer too? I think adding the seasonings during cooking gives the a great flavor.

knitlove
03-04-2020, 04:14 PM
Adding salt when they cook will make the beans take much longer to get soft. I will salt after they are cooked.

ViolaMum
03-04-2020, 04:22 PM
You can soak them in brine, though before cooking. It doesn't toughen the skins the same way and you get better flavor. Cook's Illustrated recommends a brine soak then cooking beans on the stovetop. I bet it would work similarly with a quick soak in the IP.

I soak dry beans overnight (for 8-24 hours), then store them in the freezer and throw the frozen beans in the IP (or slow cooker) when I need them. It requires much less planning. (And lower cooking times.)

heartofjoy
03-04-2020, 05:08 PM
I soak dry beans overnight (for 8-24 hours), then store them in the freezer and throw the frozen beans in the IP (or slow cooker) when I need them. It requires much less planning. (And lower cooking times.)

Oh this is a good idea! I always used to soak my beans but I stopped when I switched to making them in the IP.