PDA

View Full Version : bread baking question

Lady Grey
02-03-2020, 10:58 PM
I found a new bread recipe I want to try but I'm wondering about the amount of yeast. It makes two large loaves (using extra long pans) and only 1/4 teaspoon of yeast? The dough sits out overnight, so I don't know if that makes any difference. TIA

Soliloquy
02-03-2020, 11:53 PM
Overnight artisan bread uses only 1/2 tsp yeast. :shrug It sounds fine to me.

ViolaMum
02-04-2020, 02:18 AM
A small amount of yeast just takes more time to rise. The big pro is that it develops more flavor.

Quick-rising doughs use more yeast, which you can certainly add, but they don't develop the same flavor profile.

---------- Post added at 04:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:17 AM ----------

Just out of curiosity, how much flour and water?

Love_Is_Patient
02-04-2020, 05:55 AM
We have a couple of bread recipes that use a small amount of yeast like that and then sit overnight. It works fine (ends up with a slightly sourdough flavor too).

Now if you want your bread to rise in 30 min you can put in 2 Tbs instead! That works too lol.

Lady Grey
02-04-2020, 06:39 AM
Thank you! I don't have any experience with overnight dough so that is all very helpful.

ViolaMum - this is the ingredient list

6 cups white flour
2 cups whole-wheat flour
5 Tbsp sugar
3 Tbsp salt
¼ tsp instant yeast
6 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
4 cups room-temperature water

knitlove
02-04-2020, 07:43 AM
That looks like the proportions I used for years before going gluten free.

I hope you are happy with it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

ViolaMum
02-04-2020, 09:04 AM
I may have to try that! Thank you.

Lady Grey
02-04-2020, 11:41 AM
https://www.p arsnipsandparsimony.com/large-family-no-knead-overnight-whitewhole-wheat-sandwich-bread/

Here is the full recipe if anyone would like it. I'm not sure about the rest of the site so I broke the link.

Lady Grey
02-06-2020, 12:42 PM
Coming back with my review.....

The only modification I made was to use equal parts white and whole wheat flour. It has a good texture and definitely easy to make, but it's a batter bread so it performs a little differently than a kneaded dough. (I don't think the picture on the website is the same recipe :no ) And it is sooooooooo salty, so I would consider reducing the salt if you try it. Everyone here agrees that we won't be using it for sandwiches.

https://h eavenlyhomemakers.com/whole-wheat-stir-and-pour-sandwich-bread-yes-it-works - this is what we will be sticking with for a fast bread option.

mummy2boys
02-13-2020, 11:25 PM
Thanks for that link and your results. I am going to give it a try.

I used to make bread years ago but gave up. I think I'm ready to try again :)

Sundance
02-15-2020, 06:45 PM
I love the flavour of overnight bread, but I wish I could get what I want without such a thick crust!

I usually use just I pinch of yeast in my overnight dough (that also uses 6 C flour).

Soliloquy
03-03-2020, 02:58 PM
This thread was moved from The Cookbook to a sub-forum, Breads/Muffins. Both are public.