PDA

View Full Version : Looking for advice

samwoodblack
09-24-2019, 06:52 AM
Hi!
I want to start health improvment in my family and one of the reccomendations was to packing food with vacuum to keep it fresh. What do you think about it? Have you ever tried it?

charla
09-24-2019, 08:59 AM
:welcome to GCM! :hug I have never tried it because it seems so expensive and labor intensive to me. I try my best to use a weekly menu plan effectively to use up groceries I buy in a timely manner so they don't go bad. I do have to throw some away but a lot less than I used to.

2sunshines
09-24-2019, 12:17 PM
Hi! Welcome!

Are you thinking of doing vacuum sealing because you can get better deals on healthy food in bulk?

I haven't done the vacuum sealing. I find our best method of shopping healthy is meal planning around the sales.

I have considered vacuum sealing in one instance -- I can buy cheese in bulk from a local cheesemaker at a big discount. But it's big chunks, so I couldn't use it all once opened before going bad..... This is really the only instance that has tempted me.... Oh... And maybe meat -- vacuum sealing before freezing large quantities of meat might preserve it better. :think

heartofjoy
09-24-2019, 12:55 PM
We vacuum seal because my dh hunts and we store the meat for up to a year and beyond in our deep freeze. I'm not sure I'd personally mess with it otherwise. Mostly he does it. Sometimes I vacuum seal other stuff because we have it so why not.

We did buy a chamber vacuum sealer last year which is amazing. It can seal water! Basically it works better for things with liquid. The other kinds can't do anything with liquid. But really not a necessary expense unless you are doing tons of meat and needing to store for months.

I was happy using freezer bags for bulk meat. My dh is the one that always bought and used the vacuum sealers.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk