PDA

View Full Version : I think my dog had a stroke; UPDATE 2nd stroke - not recoverable this time

twoplustwo
09-16-2018, 06:04 PM
While we were gone my 14.5 year old dog changed.

She hasn't eaten AND she tilts to the right. She falls down randomly. Is just super off.

Going to take her to the vet tomorrow. She is able to go on walks but veers off til leash pull (to the right) and sometimes she collapses (but can get back up).

When she comes in from outside she walks through the kitchen kinda of sideways (to the right) then instead of straight thru the dining room to her blanket, she veers right and follows the wall around the whole room to get to where she wants to go.

She is happy and her tails wags on the walk even though she is goofy looking and doesn't appear upset, but she is definitely not right.

Could it be a stroke? My poor puppy. :cry

eta: final update post 28. :cry

FlyingBlueKiwi
09-16-2018, 06:46 PM
Sounds like it. : hug

Aerynne
09-16-2018, 09:49 PM
I would say that sounds more like vestibular disease. It is a kind of dog vertigo. If so it should gradually improve over days and weeks. Worth a trip to the vet to rule out worse things, though.

tempus vernum
09-16-2018, 10:43 PM
I would say that sounds more like vestibular disease. It is a kind of dog vertigo. If so it should gradually improve over days and weeks. Worth a trip to the vet to rule out worse things, though.
:up

When our dog had several strokes we at first hoped it was this but he got progressively worse. I would take her to the vet to determine whether it’s a stroke or vestibular disease aka old dog disease. Basically they are off balance and experiencing from mildo extreme vertigo The not eating can be because the vertigo is making her nauseous. She should start getting better but I’d still have her veg check her out.

twoplustwo
09-17-2018, 07:45 AM
She is walking better but still not eating much and no dog food just a treat and some people food beef. We have an appt at 5:15 today. Should I let my 12 year old come with? She will want to and I feel she is plenty old enough. Can't think of why not but sometimes I dont think of everything.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

FlyingBlueKiwi
09-17-2018, 09:16 AM
I would give her the option, unless you feel she would be too traumatized. Do you expect you will have to euthanize at the appointment? :hugheart

twoplustwo
09-17-2018, 11:29 AM
I would give her the option, unless you feel she would be too traumatized. Do you expect you will have to euthanize at the appointment? :hugheartOh i hope not....I wouldn't be ready for that.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Sparrow
09-17-2018, 06:24 PM
How are things?

Maedchen
09-17-2018, 07:14 PM
I hope the appointment went well.

twoplustwo
09-18-2018, 04:01 AM
She had a stroke. She got a steroid shot. Now she will either get better or she won't.

If she doesn't get better we may have to euthanize her. If she does she could still have another stroke.

She isn't eating her dog food but is eating people food. Vet said with the shot she may eat her dog food again today.

Thanks for asking!

tempus vernum
09-18-2018, 06:58 AM
So sorry mama :hugheart I’m praying she recovers, eats, and no more strokes. :pray4

Our vet is naturally oriented and suggested lots of lavender for pup and for us. We gave him lavender massages.

Spoiled in case you aren’t wanting to hear this our pup had several strokes within the first few days of the first stroke and went downhill really fast. He couldn’t even stand up by the time we had to put him down. It was very very difficult on us. To this day I cannot use lavender alone because it takes me back to those days. All I did for days was sit w our dog.

twoplustwo
09-18-2018, 02:05 PM
No change. Walking neither better nor worse.

Eating people food but no dog food.

Maedchen
09-18-2018, 04:17 PM
If your dog is 'ok' and not suffering in pain, I would suggest that you take this time you have and just give him what he wants to eat. This will allow him to feel your love and time for the family to process his decline.

(Last year our Siamese cat was dying of liver failure. I knew it was really bad and so did our vet. My husband could not accept that for a couple of months. We tried everything, the RX'd food, medications, lots of love. I even bought baby food and fed her from a spoon. I made chicken livers and pureed them to entice her appetite. This gave us 6more months with her before she passed away.)

:hugheart

twoplustwo
09-18-2018, 04:20 PM
YEs we are just feeding her people food. And taking her on walks. Even though she is very slow and sideways, she is happy (tail up and wagging).

Maedchen
09-18-2018, 04:28 PM
:heart Our oldest Maine Coon cat has been diagnosed as having heart worms. (who knew cats could get them?) There is no treatment for cats. We are trying to cope and baby him as much as possible. He was a stray that showed up at our front door when he was a few months old and he is 11 now.

Fur babies are special and add so much to our lives and teach children many lessons (as well as adults.) :) I type this as our 18 month old dog is fussin and talking back when told to go lay on the bed. LOL

From your post, I could just see your dog walking down the road.:heart

sweetpeasmommy
09-18-2018, 04:38 PM
My 22 yo cat who passed away earlier this year had several strokes the last few years of her life. For her, she was always back to normal the next day or within hours. I’ve read about it a bit when it happened, and it is not unusual at all in older pets. It does seem to be a good sign that she is happy and had not gotten any worse. I will be praying for your pup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Soliloquy
09-18-2018, 04:40 PM
I'm glad he is happy and is eating something! Maybe he'll continue on for a good long while.

:heart Our oldest Maine Coon cat has been diagnosed as having heart worms. (who knew cats could get them?) There is no treatment for cats.

I had no idea either and I've had cats for 25 years and taken them to many vet appointments! It's never been mentioned!

I am so sorry. :(

We had a stray Siamese that showed up on our porch one day and moved with us 3 times. He had bone cancer at age 11ish (not sure of his exact age, he was full-grown when we got him). It's never easy.

tempus vernum
09-18-2018, 05:46 PM
That’s such a beautiful idea to feed people food to extend their life :heart

We fed our dog McDonalds for his last meal. We tried every people food we could think of that was in the house. Once the appointment was made we just kept giving him everything he never could have. Including chocolate.

domesticzookeeper
09-18-2018, 06:55 PM
We fed our dog McDonalds for his last meal. We tried every people food we could think of that was in the house. Once the appointment was made we just kept giving him everything he never could have. Including chocolate.

We had the vet come to our house when it came time for our cat to be euthanized (cancer) and her last meal as the sedative kicked in was a pizza crust. She was SOOO happy :happytears :heart It's honestly one of the sweetest memories I have of her.

Praying for your pup, twoplustwo :hugheart :pray4

kiloyd
09-18-2018, 07:49 PM
I've been through this twice and my mom just went through it in July. All 3 dogs were 14+. When they stopped eating dry dog food, we gave them canned, then hot dogs or any other meat they'd eat or meat baby food, whatever they would eat that gave us a few more days with them.

Just feed her what she'll eat and love on her. :hug2

twoplustwo
09-23-2018, 06:31 PM
My dog is almost totally back to normal.

She still needs eggs mixed with her dog food (but now we just wonder if she is holding out so she get the eggs. :shifty :giggle)

She walked 2 miles with us Friday. She chased a rabbit all the way forward this am (by all the way - she tried to chase a squirrel a few days ago and just went in a tilty little circle). She was super slow but IN A STRAIGHT LINE. And we did another 2 miles or so with her this evening.

Its because the power of prayer is stronger than steroid shot. :D She started really recovering after my Thur night bible study prayed for her (one of the leaders knows the dog bc we are neighbors and her son pet sits our dog.)

I know she could have another stroke but we are going to really appreciate our time together. Spoil her. :heart

tempus vernum
09-23-2018, 07:19 PM
:happytears I’m so happy to hear this.

kiloyd
09-24-2018, 10:26 AM
Great news!

Enjoy each day with her. :)

sweetpeasmommy
09-25-2018, 04:33 PM
I’m so happy for you. Purely anecdotal, but with our 22 year old cat the subsequent strokes were less severe than the first and she was back to normal within a few hours with no lasting issues.

Edited to add that they were many months apart and never frequent. Maybe 4 or so over the last 3 years of her life.

Soliloquy
09-25-2018, 09:39 PM
:happytears

twoplustwo
09-26-2018, 04:14 AM
Even more exciting updates. She is now eating dog food without having to mix with eggs. AND she came up the stairs last night in the night! (She has a bed both downstairs and upstairs).

Reva
09-27-2018, 11:52 AM
I am so glad. :)

twoplustwo
11-13-2018, 04:47 AM
My dog had another stroke (2 months after the 1st and totally recovering).

This time the vet felt the outcome wouldn't be as good. She couldn't even walk, which means she couldn't even get up and pee or poop.

So we made the decision to put her down. We did that yesterday. She was a good dog and a sweet dog and an old dog.

domesticzookeeper
11-13-2018, 06:05 AM
I'm so sorry :hugheart But also so grateful you were given those two extra months with her :heart :candle :heart

Singingmom
11-13-2018, 09:17 AM
Aw, I'm so sorry. :(

Maedchen
11-13-2018, 09:27 AM
I am sorry for your family's loss.

CelticJourney
11-13-2018, 09:33 AM
I'm sorry. It's never easy. We have an ancient lab (16.5yo) who we have to reevaluate more and more often. We just don't think he's ready to go yet.

tempus vernum
11-13-2018, 11:46 AM
So so sorry. It’s been been a year since our beloved old shepherd was put down and I still miss him. I’m cryinf thinking g of you and how hard our early days. :candle

sweetpeasmommy
11-13-2018, 12:45 PM
:candle :hugheart

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sparrow
11-13-2018, 01:50 PM
I am so sorry :bheart:bheart

FlyingBlueKiwi
11-14-2018, 05:50 AM
I'm so sorry. :cry

Reva
11-14-2018, 01:36 PM