PDA

View Full Version : Kombucha problems

marbles
05-02-2017, 09:44 AM
I've been brewing kombucha without issue for a while, at least a year with the same scoby. But this time it smells VERY sour, it's been fermenting a little over a week (I can't remember the exact number of days) and it smells very vinegary. On top of that, there is a huge amount of yeast. Like I took out the scobys and the mother was almost all brown and there was a film of yeast on top of the tea. No mold. Before this ferment, I let it go too long so I rotated the scoby and put a middle of the pack one in from my motel. Besides washing the container and pulling out the yeast strings I can, is there anything else I can do to balance my scoby? The last one I bottled was more sour than I like so it has been going this way for a bit. Now my kitchen needs to be aired out from the super strong sour kombucha smell :sick

bananacake
05-02-2017, 11:54 AM
This doesn't answer your current question, but what do you does with the new scobies that form?

I would likely make some extra sugary tea in a small batch, and put my scoby with a little current kombucha in that, and then wait for a new fresh scoby to grow from that. And save some scobies for emergencies :giggle

marbles
05-02-2017, 12:49 PM
I keep a scoby motel. I have a lot I need to get rid of.

Soliloquy
05-02-2017, 03:15 PM
I'm guessing it fermented faster than usual. Cut the scoby in half if you want it to take a week.

Is it suddenly warmer in your home?

marbles
05-03-2017, 09:32 AM
No, it's low to mid 70s. I switched SCOBYs and I'll check it after a few days. It was on the thicker side but not huge. Somehow I ended up with a mini scoby too (it's a small circle, not sure how that happened!), maybe I'll try that one next if this one doesn't work out.