PDA

View Full Version : Who makes matcha? SB Green tea latte DIY

Soliloquy
03-04-2017, 02:54 PM
I love Starbucks green tea latte. It's basically matcha, steamed milk, and a little sugar.

Anyone have a brand of matcha they like? I prefer organic since I'm consuming the whole leaf.

I can't keep spending $4 on these things. :bag

teamommy
03-04-2017, 05:37 PM
Do matcha is the best I've had, but I usually buy culinary grade Kenko or Serendipitea from Amazon to save some money. And I don't notice a difference in taste with a latte, even with much less or even no sweetener.

They do put syrup in the Starbucks drink; I get it without. But even their matcha powder mix has sugar in it, and you can't separate the two, so it is still plenty sweet without the syrup.

sprout
03-04-2017, 06:17 PM
ummm sounds yummy.

what is it exactly?

esperanza
03-04-2017, 08:20 PM
I just heard about it too. Curious what it tastes like. I don't like tea or coffee so would I not like this?

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Soliloquy
03-04-2017, 08:29 PM
Do matcha is the best I've had, but I usually buy culinary grade Kenko or Serendipitea from Amazon to save some money. And I don't notice a difference in taste with a latte, even with much less or even no sweetener.

They do put syrup in the Starbucks drink; I get it without. But even their matcha powder mix has sugar in it, and you can't separate the two, so it is still plenty sweet without the syrup.

:ty

Starbucks stopped putting syrup in it sometime last year. I only know because whenever I order they usually tell me, "we don't sweeten it anymore, do you want syrup?" NO! The Venti (20ozs) has 3 teaspoons of sugar, not very much. But that's another reason I want to make my own. No sugar at all.

---------- Post added at 07:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:25 PM ----------

I just heard about it too. Curious what it tastes like. I don't like tea or coffee so would I not like this?

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

I'm guessing you wouldn't like it but matcha tastes different from black tea or regular green tea.

---------- Post added at 07:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:26 PM ----------

ummm sounds yummy.

what is it exactly?

Matcha is ground up green tea, a powder. But it's not ordinary green tea, it's grown and processed in a special way that changes the chemical composition and flavor somewhat. Matcha is what is used in the Japanese tea ceremony.

The green tea latte is an American atrocity. :lol

TraceMama
03-06-2017, 11:47 AM
Steeped Tea makes an amazing matcha, but it's a MLM/home-business thing and I'm not sure that's what you're looking for. :)

RiverRock
03-06-2017, 12:12 PM
My daughter's favourite. I'm not sure if they ship to the US. https://www.davidstea.com/ca_en/ceremonial-matcha

We've bought this before and it was used quickly...before I even had a chance to try it. https://www.amazon.com/Trader-Joes-Matcha-Green-Latte/dp/B00JCEYP8S

Quiteria
03-06-2017, 06:37 PM
I think there's orange extract in it, too. I could be wrong, but it tasted citrus to me. I made my at home substitute with it. But I didn't actually have matcha, just brewed green tea. :shrug3