PDA

View Full Version : Instant Pot for Newbies

bananacake
01-21-2017, 02:04 PM
I got an Instant Pot for Christmas!

I watched one video and learned a ton more than I did reading the manual :giggle

What is your favorite trick or thing to do in your Instant Pot?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2sunshines
01-21-2017, 04:09 PM
I LOVE my instant pot and use it ALL the time.

My best advice is to actually do the water test first. Not that it itself is important, but more that the process of doing that really helped me to feel comfortable with how the pot actually functions so I had a better grip on what to expect, what is normal, and what isn't. I think I would have stressed out had there been real food that cost real money in there the first time. :lol

bananacake
01-21-2017, 04:35 PM
What's the water test?

2sunshines
01-21-2017, 04:44 PM
It's in the manual. You basically put water in the pot and do a test run. :yes

If you google, a lot of blogs and youtube videos come up explaining it too.

Mother of Sons
01-21-2017, 08:13 PM
I say if you are going to do the water test you may as well make hard boiled eggs.

I've been making chicken "fried" rice in it lately which is easy and convenient. We make rice a lot. I also make stew and one great thing is that I can brown 4 pounds of Hamburger at once without standing at the stove with a spatula and no draining the grease!

sweetpeasmommy
01-21-2017, 09:37 PM
I didn't do the water test, I just made rice as a test. The more you use it, the easier it gets but the first few times can be a little baffling.

graciousmomma
01-21-2017, 10:25 PM
I didn't do the water test either :shifty

I love making hard boiled eggs in there. They peel so much easier than doing it the normal way! :yes

I cook crock pot soups a lot in there and get the same results in much less time. My favorite is butternut squash soup.

I have made refried beans in there a few times as well - they turn out so well!

I do a lot of chicken in there, too.

2sunshines
01-22-2017, 04:56 AM
Yea, I realize I'm in the minority of people who actually do the test. :lol I tend to be a bit of a perfectionist with my cooking devices. As in, I also actually read the manual. :lol

I didn't do the water test, I just made rice as a test. The more you use it, the easier it gets but the first few times can be a little baffling.

THIS is why I did the test. I was baffled a few times during the water test. Just surprised at some things like how long it took to get up to pressure, etc. I was glad that my baffle happened when there was no food in there to worry about messing up. But again, for me, that comes back down to my food perfectionism. :bag

All that to say, once I get comfortable with an appliance, I follow no rules ever. :lol All recipes and cooking rules become guidelines to me. I wing pretty much everything I put in the IP now and it all comes out amazing! :heart

Whatever you do, you'll get a hang of it quickly! Like everyone else said, the first few times can be a bit of a learning curve but you will very quickly become a pro!

Soliloquy
01-22-2017, 05:39 PM
I did the water test!! :highfive :giggle

For hard boiled eggs, I add 1 cup water, the little rack, and about 18 eggs. Manual for 6 minutes, quick release, then an ice bath. Perfect!

Pot roast is pretty awesome in the IP. 1 Tbsp oil. Saute "adjust more." Wait until the display reads "Hot." Put the roast in to sear it, 5-10 minutes per side. Then add 1 c broth, 1 Tbsp tamari, 1 Tbsp fish sauce, and whatever other seasonings you like. Manual pressure for 45 mintues for a 3 lb roast.

Jasmine rice: Rinse the rice well. Put in equal amount water and rice. Manual pressure for 8 minutes. Quick release. (If you don't rinse the rice you'll need more water.)

For quinoa, rinse it well, and cook for only ONE MINUTE.

BriansLovie
01-23-2017, 06:16 AM
I received one for Christmas too and it scares me :lol My fear is that it will explode and the noises freak me out. I've used it three times so far. The meat is so tender!!

Laurlor
01-23-2017, 02:12 PM
Is there a difference between an instant pot and a pressure cooker, or is it the same? I have a pressure cooker my mom bought for me that I never use because it scares me too, but my mom used to make the best roasts in one.

ECingMama
01-23-2017, 02:25 PM
Is there a difference between an instant pot and a pressure cooker, or is it the same? I have a pressure cooker my mom bought for me that I never use because it scares me too, but my mom used to make the best roasts in one.

same thing

instant pot is a brand of electric pressure cooker

2sunshines
01-23-2017, 02:32 PM
Instant pot is a brand of electric pressure cooker, however, it has 6 additional (or 5 additional if you buy the 6in1) features in it. The pressure cooker part is just 1 of the features, although the main selling point of it. :yes

Also from what I understand the Instant Pot implemented additional safety measures that previous pressure cookers did not. But I truly don't know any details about what those are or if they really are more safe than other brands or if it's a sales gimmick. :shrug3

Soliloquy
01-23-2017, 03:03 PM

It's a programmable pressure cooker, rice cooker, yogurt maker, and slow cooker.

I may buy a second one, eventually. I use mine for rice as often as I use it for a pressure cooker.

greendelight
01-23-2017, 10:01 PM
Mine is still sitting in the box!

2sunshines
01-24-2017, 03:15 AM
Mine is still sitting in the box!

Unbox that beautiful thing! You'll fall in love! We'll talk you through it. :yes :heart

bananacake
02-03-2017, 03:58 PM
:bump

I did HB eggs earlier this week, and I'm trying "baked" potatoes now.

2sunshines
02-03-2017, 04:04 PM
I will continually and forever sing the praises of the IP. :yes I use it multiple times a week.

Are you looking for some recipes? Tips? Other?

The other night I made a delicious creamy chicken recipe that I served over mashed potatoes. Kids loved and it wanted leftovers in their school lunches the next day. But the mashed potatoes were gone. In the morning, before school, I steamed a few potatoes in 13 minutes in the IP, mashed them, and they were ready to pack in their lunches. :rockon

bananacake
02-03-2017, 04:16 PM
I'm looking for mostly tips, ideas and hacks and shortcuts I haven't thought of, and some recipes.

The Tickle Momster
02-03-2017, 04:48 PM
Coconut lemon curry chicken -- Sooooo easy!
1 can coconut milk
1/4 c lemon juice
1 tsp turmeric
1 Tbsp curry powder
1/2 tsp salt

Mix sauce. Add 4 chicken breasts. (Mine were frozen.)

Poultry button. (Add 10 minutes for frozen)

Release when you need to. NPR or QR, doesn't matter.

Shred & serve over rice.

This is very mild. I might kick it up a bit next time. More curry, less lemon, more salt.

Sundance
02-03-2017, 05:24 PM
I've had my IP for two months & the seal is already so stretched that it will not stay in place. I had two dishes book dry.
I am not very impressed. I contacted IP, but haven't heard back, yet.
In the meantime, I ordered a few extra seals from Amazon.

2sunshines
02-03-2017, 05:47 PM
I've had my IP for two months & the seal is already so stretched that it will not stay in place. I had two dishes book dry.
I am not very impressed. I contacted IP, but haven't heard back, yet.
In the meantime, I ordered a few extra seals from Amazon.

Oh wow! That would be super frustrating! I've had mine for months and use it a lot and have had no issues. :think I hope that IP CS backs up their product for you. Lmk what they say when you hear from them (if you do).

Dovenoir
02-04-2017, 08:40 AM
There's conflicting recommendations as to whether you should put the Instant pot seal ring in the dishwasher or not. one book says yes and one book says no. Even customer service is giving conflicting messages there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

2sunshines
02-04-2017, 09:48 AM
I always hand wash all components of the IP. I figure better safe than sorry. I have put the stainless steel interior pot in the dishwasher a time or two but even that I usually just handwash super quick.

Soliloquy
02-04-2017, 12:25 PM
I put my seal in the dishwasher if I cook something highly seasoned/fragrant. I've had mine over a year and use it 2-3x a week, no issues.

I'm really sorry you're having issues, Sundance. They definitely should send you a new seal.

Have you posted this on their social media?

---------- Post added at 11:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:23 AM ----------

Coconut lemon curry chicken -- Sooooo easy!
1 can coconut milk
1/4 c lemon juice
1 tsp turmeric
1 Tbsp curry powder
1/2 tsp salt

Mix sauce. Add 4 chicken breasts. (Mine were frozen.)

Poultry button. (Add 10 minutes for frozen)

Release when you need to. NPR or QR, doesn't matter.

Shred & serve over rice.

This is very mild. I might kick it up a bit next time. More curry, less lemon, more salt.

This looks great! I have panang curry paste that is amazing. I'm going to try it this way.

So, what do you do when your IP has the entree and you need rice? I hate cooking rice on the stove.

The Tickle Momster
02-04-2017, 12:38 PM
I cook my rice on the stove. :shrug I have heavy bottom stainless pots that make it easy.

Do you have the tools to do pot in pot? Then you could do the rice and main dish together.

2sunshines
02-05-2017, 03:50 AM
I still have my old rice cooker and just use that. I love rice in the IP but you're right, usually when I'm making rice, I'm making something in the IP. Plus I find the rice cooker to be just as convenient as the IP.

Soliloquy
02-05-2017, 12:51 PM
I think I need a second IP.

2sunshines
02-05-2017, 04:27 PM
I think I need a second IP.

I definitely think this regularly. However it's in direct opposite to my minimalist wannabe aspirations. :bag So that's what holds me back.

Mother of Sons
02-05-2017, 05:31 PM
I got a second one for Christmas. It's great.

Soliloquy
02-05-2017, 05:50 PM
I definitely think this regularly. However it's in direct opposite to my minimalist wannabe aspirations. :bag So that's what holds me back.

Yeah, money is holding me back. I got rid of my rice cooker years ago. My crock pot has been in a closet ever since I got my IP. So, if I get a second IP I could donate the crock pot. :think

I got a second one for Christmas. It's great.

:highfive

I'm going to try and hold out until Christmas. They usually go on sale for cyber week.

bananacake
02-06-2017, 07:58 AM
I used 2 crockpots and my IP yesterday :shifty

tempus vernum
02-06-2017, 07:16 PM
So pressure cooker, rice cooker, and slow cooker :think

We have 2 pressure cookers and a slow cooker but.... I want another pressure cooker because I have small and huge -- I keep wondering if IP is best way to go. The huge pressure cookies is too huge to be on my stovetop all the time :think so often I could use a second not enormous pressure cooker

2sunshines
02-07-2017, 03:00 AM
:yes If you're in the market for another pressure cooker, I'd definitely go IP.

I LOVE that i can use it for all the functions and I do regularly. :yes

Sundance
02-07-2017, 03:40 AM
I put my seal in the dishwasher if I cook something highly seasoned/fragrant. I've had mine over a year and use it 2-3x a week, no issues.

I'm really sorry you're having issues, Sundance. They definitely should send you a new seal.

Have you posted this on their social media?

Good idea!
I filed complaint & ordered new rings last Wednesday. The rings arrived yesterday (which is crazy, because this is Canada & things don't ship fast), and I haven't heard from IP, yet.
So I posted the above, basically, on their wall, saying I hoped they'd resolve it quickly. They didn't answer yesterday & when I looked through their wall, there were lots of complaints, sitting there unanswered.

There's definitely something else wrong with my IP, too. The lid is hard to put on (it's like there's pressure as soon as I put the lid on & the valve pops up. I have to wiggle and shake it down & I think that knocks the ring off track). Then when it's on, the pressure valve won't come up & pressure won't build, but it starts counting, anyways & if I'm not right there, it boils dry :(

2sunshines
02-07-2017, 03:42 AM
Good idea!
I filed complaint & ordered new rings last Wednesday. The rings arrived yesterday (which is crazy, because this is Canada & things don't ship fast), and I haven't heard from IP, yet.
So I posted the above, basically, on their wall, saying I hoped they'd resolve it quickly. They didn't answer yesterday & when I looked through their wall, there were lots of complaints, sitting there unanswered.

There's definitely something else wrong with my IP, too. The lid is hard to put on (it's like there's pressure as soon as I put the lid on & the valve pops up. I have to wiggle and shake it down & I think that knocks the ring off track). Then when it's on, the pressure valve won't come up & pressure won't build, but it starts counting, anyways & if I'm not right there, it boils dry :(

:( I have heard of a few people having big issues like this. I hope they resolve yours. Definitely keep us up to date.

Sundance
02-24-2017, 08:48 AM
:( I have heard of a few people having big issues like this. I hope they resolve yours. Definitely keep us up to date.

I submitted pics of my IP & a video of it doing what it shouldn't, on my ticket.
They replied that it looked like a pressure sensor was malfunctioning & that they would send me a new base.
My IP package arrived yesterday & it was a complete new kit!!

I am quite impressed with their customer service (though it was slow at first & I did have to push a bit too have my ticket sent to their technical department)! :heart

The new pot must be an updated version, because it has a "cake" and "egg" buttons (though the model number is still the same)

2sunshines
02-24-2017, 10:56 AM
Awesome! So glad to hear such a good review!

RealLifeMama
02-25-2017, 05:53 PM
I am wanting to love my IP, but so far, I am just "meh" about it.
The boiled eggs came out well, but it wasn't any quicker than my regular method.
I couldn't fit my roast in, so I had to use my crock pot.

I hoped it would be a life saver on busy nights we have activities, but so far, I haven't figured out how to really utilize it.

2sunshines
02-25-2017, 06:03 PM
I am an IP lover, and fwiw, I still do hard boiled eggs on the stove. :shrug3

I do use it for many things tho. For example, tonight I wanted to make mashed potatoes, and peeled and steamed the potatoes in 15 minutes in the IP instead of much longer on stove top...

I also love cooking bone broth and dried beans in the IP. HUGE time saver. :heart

Sundance
02-26-2017, 10:06 AM
I boil eggs in my IP. I do a dozen or more at a time, though. But it takes about 13 minutes, total & that's much quicker than boiling them on the stove (plus I put them in and walk away...I don't have to wait for them to boil & set the timer). But we also use our own, fresh eggs & the only way I can peel them is if they're cooked in the IP

How much do y'all adjust for altitude? I found a recipe testator that recommended triple the time I usually use.... But her altitude was very high.

RealLifeMama
02-26-2017, 01:27 PM
I boil eggs on the stove in 20 minutes from start to finish, (peeled and all) and my method works for fresh hen eggs, too. Then all I have to wash is a pot.

Anyway, I didn't get the pot to help me boil eggs. I was really hoping for quicker, easier dinner time solutions. I guess I just haven't found them yet, but would really like to.

2sunshines
02-26-2017, 02:16 PM
I boil eggs on the stove in 20 minutes from start to finish, (peeled and all) and my method works for fresh hen eggs, too. Then all I have to wash is a pot.

Anyway, I didn't get the pot to help me boil eggs. I was really hoping for quicker, easier dinner time solutions. I guess I just haven't found them yet, but would really like to.

Srsly. Cooking dry beans and bone broth alone make the IP well worth its purchase. Do you do either of those?

Mother of Sons
02-26-2017, 05:55 PM
I use it a lot to prep for the freezer. Like cooking 4 pounds of hamburger at once or shredding chicken. i can just put it in and walk away and do something else. I use it a lot for rice (daily) and potatoes. Stew is a good one here. I used to always end up with scorched stew on the stove. I can cook "fried" rice with chicken at the same time which I do a lot when i need a quick meal. Steamed bao is another hit here.

IMO most of the time savings is exaggerated. The benefit to me is that after I put the ingredients in, I'm done, I can go do something else. I could cook the same thing on the stove but have to sit and stir and pay attention to it.

What size roast did you have that it didn't fit? I always cut mine for the IP but I still prefer the oven.

camperjen
02-26-2017, 06:40 PM
IMO most of the time savings is exaggerated.

I have felt this way also. The actual cooking time might be 30 minutes for something, but it takes 15 minutes to get up to temp (especially if it's frozen meat) and then might take another 15 afterward for natural release, so then it's essentially one hour in the pot versus what people might say "cooks in only 30 minutes".

That said, I really like my pot and use it at least once a week. I've yet to get my crockpot out again since I got the pot.

Dovenoir
03-02-2017, 11:44 AM
Even though it takes longer than posted, it allows me to step away and not have to babysit a pot or oven while doing homework and sensory time with the boys.

And batch cooking :)

---------- Post added at 01:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:42 PM ----------

MOS about ground beef. are you just steaming the burger meat or browning then cooking under pressure? How does it turn out?

bananacake
03-02-2017, 01:51 PM
I'm trying meatballs in the Instant Pot today.

2sunshines
03-02-2017, 02:02 PM
How are you doing it? Raw meatballs in with a tomato sauce and then pressure cook?

I haven't done it yet tho we have spaghetti and meatballs regularly (actually are tonight) just cause I've found meatballs in the oven to be easy enough... But.... Pressure cooker is probably easier. :think

bananacake
03-02-2017, 02:07 PM
How are you doing it? Raw meatballs in with a tomato sauce and then pressure cook?

I haven't done it yet tho we have spaghetti and meatballs regularly (actually are tonight) just cause I've found meatballs in the oven to be easy enough... But.... Pressure cooker is probably easier. :think

Raw meatballs on the rack. They just beeped.....shall report back :giggle I was in a hurry :giggle

bananacake
03-06-2017, 07:30 PM
Raw meatballs on rack were a hit!

I want to try to make dairy free yogurt in the IP, but I'm scared to waste all those expensive ingredients.

Mother of Sons
03-06-2017, 07:35 PM
MOS about ground beef. are you just steaming the burger meat or browning then cooking under pressure? How does it turn out?

Steaming basically. I just put it on the rack and set the timer. No browning first. Then I crumble it with a spatula in a big bowl. No one can tell the difference between IP hamburger and skillet. I'm very picky and I can't tell the difference either.

The Tickle Momster
03-07-2017, 09:13 AM

I want to try to make dairy free yogurt in the IP, but I'm scared to waste all those expensive ingredients.

If you are successful would you post here? I've tried but it doesn't come out thick. :( Milk choice matters. My last batch I thickened then added to IP. It came out thinner than it went in. My next attempt will be canned coconut milk.

bananacake
03-07-2017, 09:45 AM
I will let you know!

2sunshines
03-07-2017, 10:27 AM

I did it. It was ok. It certainly wasn't a waste of ingredients as it all got eaten, it just wasn't a huge hit so not worth trying again. BUT my dairy free daughter isn't generally a big yogurt fan, so for us, it wasn't worth messing with it to make it perfect.

Here's the positive side. If you make it and don't love it as yogurt it still won't be a waste because you should be able to use it in other things -- recipes that you'd typically use yogurt in. I think I used mine up in a stroganoff recipe.

bananacake
03-07-2017, 11:30 AM
I did it. It was ok. It certainly wasn't a waste of ingredients as it all got eaten, it just wasn't a huge hit so not worth trying again. BUT my dairy free daughter isn't generally a big yogurt fan, so for us, it wasn't worth messing with it to make it perfect.

Here's the positive side. If you make it and don't love it as yogurt it still won't be a waste because you should be able to use it in other things -- recipes that you'd typically use yogurt in. I think I used mine up in a stroganoff recipe.

Since we are all dairy free and DFSF yogurt is pricey, I don't use yogurt in much! But perhaps we'll be having lots of smoothies :giggle DD especially has grown to love yogurt since she did a round of abx.

The Tickle Momster
03-07-2017, 11:35 AM
Ours was runny enough to be used as "milk" or Kefir. The kids put it on cereal. Smoothies is another great option. :yes

Dovenoir
03-08-2017, 08:16 AM
I had decent success with my coconut cream yogurt. I did use one can with guar gum and some gelatin. It was as thick as whole milk yogurt.

The Tickle Momster
03-08-2017, 08:17 AM
I had decent success with my coconut cream yogurt. I did use one can with guar gum and some gelatin. It was as thick as whole milk yogurt.

Can you share your recipe? Pretty please? :)

Dovenoir
03-08-2017, 08:23 AM
DIY Dairy-Free Coconut Yogurt
make approximately four cups

*4 cups unsweetened dried coconut flakes
*4 1/2 cups water, divided
4 tablespoons sugar
3 packets gelatin powder
4 tablespoons arrowroot starch
2 cans coconut milk [or 4 if not using flakes]
Direct-set vegan yogurt starter

Place dried coconut in pot and add 4 cups water. Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 min Allow to soak for 30 minutes and then blend with immersion blender on highest speed for two minutes. (Or in Ninja 4 minutes) Set aside until cool enough to handle.

Once cooled, hang from cabinet and strain through a nut milk bag or fine sieve back into instant pot Add sugar and stir to dissolve. Bring to a boil again.

Add tapioca starch and bloomed gelatin whisk until well dissolved.

Allow to cool, whisking occasionally, to 110°F (check package directions on your starter for alternate instructions/variations). Add starter, whisking again to evenly distribute, and pour milk into a sterilized glass container and incubate in instant pot at 110°F using the method of your choice.

When incubation is complete (using the method above, mine took about seven hours), move jar to the refrigerator to chill and halt culturing, at least six hours. Yogurt is now ready to eat.

Sterilize jars at 225F FACE DOWN on cookie sheet with lids, rings, heat resistant spatula and spoons. Place in over at least 10 minutes. Cool 10 minutes or until bottoms of jars are not too hot to touch. Pour into jars and chill.

Based off of
http://www.theprimaldesire.com/instant-pot-coconut-yogurt/

---------- Post added at 10:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:22 AM ----------

Note.. I'm trying to convert to making my own coconut milk here too, if that's too much, ignore that part and use 4 cans of coconut cream or milk with the water drained off.

bananacake
03-08-2017, 08:45 AM
I added gelatin and gluccie to mine and it's thick. But kind of tasteless. More on that later :giggle

bananacake
03-09-2017, 05:43 AM
Both DD and DH loved the yogurt. I used 1/2 can full fat coconut milk plus 2 cups coconut milk beverage (the refrigerated cartons). I don't like the unsweetened beverage in much, but I use it for savory cooking. So I'm always looking for uses for it.

So cost:
$1.25 for half can coc. milk + $.75 for beverage + $.05 for gelatin + $.11 for glucomannan + $.10 of sugar for the Tablespoon of sugar I put into each jar :shifty = $2.26 for 24 oz of yogurt (about)

I blended fruit into DD, so it's an even better deal. A 24 oz container of unsweetened yogurt is at least $6.49.

I based the amount of sugar on how many grams of sugar are in the little containers. I will experiment with honey, etc. I will also experiment with more canned coconut milk, which will raise the price but also the taste. I'm just low on it right now.

---------- Post added at 07:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:42 AM ----------

Oh, and I added a little lemon flavoring to DH's yogurt, this brand: https://www.vitacost.com/simply-organic-lemon-flavor I didn't measure it, because there were only a few drops left. But it was enough :tu

bananacake
03-13-2017, 11:59 AM
What is your favorite thing to do in the IP with chicken breasts? GFDF :)

2sunshines
03-13-2017, 12:53 PM
chicken teriyaki
salsa chicken
chicken vegetable soup

bananacake
03-13-2017, 06:08 PM
I ended up simply sprinkling my homemade ranch seasoning on it. Everyone loved it, including my non-chicken lover!

2sunshines
03-14-2017, 02:02 AM
I ended up simply sprinkling my homemade ranch seasoning on it. Everyone loved it, including my non-chicken lover!

Yep as long as you have enough liquid in there to bring the pot to pressure you can pretty much do anything. Chicken breast adapts such a wide variety of flavours!

bananacake
03-22-2017, 02:12 PM
I set the IP to rice but could not get the time to adjust. What am I doing wrong?

2sunshines
03-22-2017, 02:17 PM
I set the IP to rice but could not get the time to adjust. What am I doing wrong?

I have never used the "rice" setting, just used manual and set it to the desired time. :think

---------- Post added at 09:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:15 PM ----------

Found this on their website:

"The “Rice” button is timed for white or parboiled rice only.
~For other types of rice, set “Manual” to correct time (by pressing “-” to adjust the cooking time) for the type of rice you are cooking, in the case of brown rice, for example select 22-25 minutes depending on your preferences and any local issues, like high elevation."

http://instantpot.com/how-to-cook-perfect-rice-in-an-electric-pressure-cooker/

So it does not appear that you *can* adjust the time with the rice setting but need to either go with their time (for white) or use the manual setting. :)

AngelaVA
03-22-2017, 04:41 PM
It seems from my experience thus far that the time you set for rice is about half the cook time on the package if you are also giving the time for natural release of pressure. It makes really good rice. It also takes less water. My light brown Costco rice is 11-12 minutes 2 cups rice 2.5 cups water. I also put salt and a tiny bit of butter in there. So good!

bananacake
03-22-2017, 05:00 PM
I've been doing 12 minutes for the white rice I get from Trader Joe's.

bananacake
03-26-2017, 04:52 PM
Mother of Sons, how long do you cook the ground beef for?

Mother of Sons
03-26-2017, 06:35 PM
I think I usually do 35 minutes for about 3 pounds then I check with the thermometer and add more time if needed.

bananacake
04-03-2017, 03:39 PM
I have trouble cooking chicken breasts from frozen. Any tips? I usually freeze 2 small breasts in a bag together. I basically have to open the IP several times to adjust them in order to cook thoroughly.

The Tickle Momster
04-03-2017, 03:54 PM
I freeze my chicken the same way. I put them in the IP with a cup of water or broth. Set it for 20 minutes and let it go. Usually shreddable when it's done. I have noticed a difference in texture between my Zaycon chicken and Foster Farms (I think) from Costco. Zaycon is tougher.

bananacake
04-03-2017, 04:05 PM
I freeze my chicken the same way. I put them in the IP with a cup of water or broth. Set it for 20 minutes and let it go. Usually shreddable when it's done. I have noticed a difference in texture between my Zaycon chicken and Foster Farms (I think) from Costco. Zaycon is tougher.

Mine is still frozen in the middle after 20 :scratch

knitlove
04-03-2017, 04:36 PM
Does the time start after it reaches prusher? I can cook frozen breast in my stove top prusher cooker 15 min at prusher and then 10 min natural release.

2sunshines
04-04-2017, 03:08 AM
Can I ask why you cook from frozen? Is it a time crunch thing that happens when you forget to thaw meat ahead of time or do you purposely use frozen?

I only ask because I read that cooking from frozen is possible, but definitely not ideal and it's always better and you will get better results cooking thawed.

bananacake
04-04-2017, 05:24 AM
Can I ask why you cook from frozen? Is it a time crunch thing that happens when you forget to thaw meat ahead of time or do you purposely use frozen?

I only ask because I read that cooking from frozen is possible, but definitely not ideal and it's always better and you will get better results cooking thawed.

I thought one of the benefits of having an IP was being able to cook easily from frozen. I cook almost everything from frozen. It's partially because I'm not that organized and partially because I lack the fridge space to defrost things (though I'm doing better in this regard).

The Tickle Momster
04-04-2017, 07:52 AM
I defrost on my counter. :shifty

2sunshines
04-04-2017, 07:57 AM
I thought one of the benefits of having an IP was being able to cook easily from frozen. I cook almost everything from frozen. It's partially because I'm not that organized and partially because I lack the fridge space to defrost things (though I'm doing better in this regard).

I guess it can be. Depends on who you ask. For me the benefit is the speed of cooking. I never cook from frozen just because in my opinion, the result is always a bit more subpar than what you'd get cooking from thawed meat.

That said, I'm not suggesting one shouldn't. ;) Just saying why I don't.