PDA

View Full Version : Tapatalk security concern - Please read if you use Tapatalk

Hermana Linda
01-08-2017, 06:26 PM
I have discovered something concerning about Tapatalk.

When you log onto the forum using Tapatalk, you never need to enter your password again, until you log out, remove data or change devices. This is true even if you change your forum password.

To repeat, changing your forum password does not log you out of Tapatalk.

This means that if your phone should fall into the wrong hands, if you are logged into Tapatalk, changing your GCM password will not do any good.

I asked the Tapatalk devs about this and they told me that it's like using Facebook to log into a website, it's a separate connection and not related to the site's credentials. When I changed the forum password, I got emails telling me that someone had tried to access my account with an incorrect password and had been locked out, but it was a lie. My phone never lost any access at all. It did occasionally ask me to confirm that you I was Hermana Linda on this forum, and then it loged me in. In order to stop the emails, I had to say that I was not and then I was able to log in properly.

I have also discovered that using my computer to change my Tapatalk password at Tapatalk.com did log me out of tapatalk on my phone. It took a few minutes, but it was very effective, making me then put in the new password as well as the password for each forum.

Bottom line: If you use Tapatalk to access this forum on any device and suspect that said device has been compromised, please change your Tapatalk password from another device or computer at tapatalk.com.

Dovenoir
01-09-2017, 07:57 AM
Bump

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

MaySunflowers
01-09-2017, 08:58 AM
I don't know if all phones do it, but mine can add locks to apps so others can't open apps.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk