PDA

View Full Version : Flea sensitivity?

Beauty4Ashes
01-05-2017, 07:24 AM
My cat Ginger has what feels like tiny scabs under her fur. I suspect flea sensitivity. It doesn't seem to bother her too much, but I feel badly about it. Is there any flea medicine that controls fleas better than another? She is a feral/stray who adopted us. It requires a lot more patience and tricks to get medicine in her. Last month, she needed antibiotics because she was bitten by something and the bites abscessed. That was fun. Suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MaySunflowers
01-05-2017, 07:46 AM
I use advocate, not sure if that is available where you are. It treats fleas and worms at once, just pour on the back of the neck once a month.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Beauty4Ashes
01-05-2017, 10:52 AM
I know of a website based in the UK, so I may be able to get it. What about for healing the little scabs?

MaySunflowers
01-05-2017, 11:05 AM
I'd probably just leave the scabs alone and just watch that they don't get infected or over licked. Cats lick everything so treating it with something is tricky.

Beauty4Ashes
01-05-2017, 05:59 PM
So there is no cream for this, sigh.

MaySunflowers
01-05-2017, 10:53 PM
There may be. You could have your cat checked by the vet. But, for me personally, if the scabs look normal with no signs of infection or being licked off and disturbed I'd consider that to be part of a normal healing process.

Of course the cause, which you said is fleas, needs addressing to stop more spots and scabs from occurring.

JessicaTX
01-06-2017, 12:38 AM
I switch from frontline, to advantage, and back to control fleas. If I use the same product 3 months in a row the little buggers get out of hand.

Beauty4Ashes
01-06-2017, 04:46 AM
I was wondering about coconut oil for the cat...

MaySunflowers
01-06-2017, 05:29 AM
I'm not aware of hearing that coconut oil is poisonous to cats, so definitely do some research to see if its safe or not since your cat will lick it off.

Beauty4Ashes
01-06-2017, 07:59 AM
She might not like being greasy even if coconut oil is okay for cats...

---------- Post added at 09:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:04 AM ----------

I was reading just now that coconut oil may help with her flea problem. It's safe if she licks it. It may cause weight gain, but this kitty is kind of underweight as it is, so a couple of extra pounds won't hurt. I'm going to try it.

Beauty4Ashes
01-06-2017, 12:38 PM
That was painful. I took Ginger into the bathroom to trim her nails, give her a bath, and rub coconut oil on her fur. I was getting a towel to put her on my lap before I trimmed her nails and she scratched my face. This is the after picture. Nails are trimmed, a bath, and coconut oil.http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170106/9a662f11b671fa0e6b119aff396d34eb.jpg

---------- Post added at 02:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:29 PM ----------

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170106/94981a0510fec3e6b6c7d262da8ab9e4.jpg

kiloyd
01-07-2017, 11:28 AM
Aaawww, she's pretty!

Advantage for fleas.

Just a few scabs or lots? Where are they?

Beauty4Ashes
01-07-2017, 12:55 PM
Quite a few, mostly on the top of her back lower down towards her tail.

mamacat
01-08-2017, 11:23 AM
we stpped using flea meds because of our dogs being sensitive to THEM both oral and topical kind. Fleas do not like vinegar so itnhelps to wipe down fur with a cloth spraed with half and half water nd vinegar and also helps heal the itchy scabby hot spots.A flea comb helps too

---------- Post added at 06:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:22 PM ----------

yep that is where our little pups get them too but if you flea comb them down there when they re on your lap and use the vinegar solution it really helps

Beauty4Ashes
01-08-2017, 11:44 AM
Mamacat, your username makes me chuckle because that is what I call Ginger when I am trying to sweet talk her into doing something that is good for her but she doesn't like. :) I will try vinegar, she is a feral or stray, she doesn't really sit on anyone's lap, but I will try. Carefully, very carefully.

mamacat
01-08-2017, 02:52 PM
I see maybe just try the combing when she is walking near you then.you can put some of the vinegar stuff on the comb itself since sh doesnt seem to be on board wit baths so much

Beauty4Ashes
01-08-2017, 03:11 PM
This is the first time in a long time that she scratched me like that, like over a year, I think that she got spooked when I put a towel on my lap when I was holding her. I could try when she is curled up on my bed. So long as I give her due respect, I am fine.

Beauty4Ashes
01-08-2017, 07:16 PM
I'm so glad that she is mostly staying inside and sleeping on our bed. It's so cold now.

Beauty4Ashes
01-10-2017, 06:24 PM
Dh was petting her for about an hour last night when she was on our bed. I'm glad that she is letting us love her.