PDA

View Full Version : Treating an infected scratch?

Taedareth
04-21-2016, 11:19 AM
How do you treat a scratch that's a few days old and already scabbed over, but it's also a little bit pink and inflamed? I tried lavender EO and tamanu oil. Helped the first day, then the inflammation came back. Ideas?

camperjen
04-21-2016, 11:36 AM
Does it look swollen like there is infection under the scab? You may need to get it drained before it can heal. If the infection is under the skin, inside the scab, treatments won't be as productive and useful.

greengirl19
04-21-2016, 11:41 AM
What was the scratch caused by? That would definitely affect how much I worried about it. Is it extra tender? Wash it well. Colloidal silver gel. I would probably use a healing salve that had plantain and NOT comfrey.

mom23sons
04-21-2016, 01:50 PM
If it is scabbed over, then soak it in Epsom salt and water....removed scab once it is soft...then apply treatment of choice......if you can't soak it due to location then use Epsom salt compress....nice and warm....warmer the better.

mamacat
04-21-2016, 05:06 PM
Was also going to suggest a very arm Epsom salt soak or compress

Taedareth
04-21-2016, 05:30 PM
Thanks, everyone! <3

KarenBoo
04-21-2016, 06:22 PM
What was the scratch caused by? That would definitely affect how much I worried about it. Is it extra tender? Wash it well. Colloidal silver gel. I would probably use a healing salve that had plantain and NOT comfrey.

Can you please tell me why not comfrey? I made an all purpose salve, and it has both.

---------- Post added at 09:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:21 PM ----------

I love all of the above suggestions. Once, I met a woman at a conference and her hand was openly infected. She said she had tried many things, and the wound was a week old.

I carry some essential oils in my purse in tiny vials. I gave her my vial that had a combo of lavender, frankincense, and helichrysum (quite diluted in FCO.) She came back the next day and her hand looked amazing! No white pus, and lightly scabbed over. We were all amazed!

greengirl19
04-22-2016, 04:43 AM
Comfrey is so effective at healing surface skin it can cause skin to grow over an infection and make it worse! It's usually when the wound is deep or a puncture but use caution anytime something is infected. I inadvertently caused a pretty bad infection on Z's foot this way, with an all purpose healing salve.

elohcin
04-24-2016, 06:24 PM
We use peroxide (and/or ozonated oil) and magnascent iodine. Everything improves within hours. It's our go-to remedy.