PDA

View Full Version : How do you cure a UTI?

Taedareth
04-13-2016, 11:08 AM
I've been using d-mannose, Thorne Labs Uristatin, uva ursi, probiotics, and drinking 100-150 oz of water and sugar-free cranberry juice daily. It helps some but after a week it still hasn't eliminated the infection. Is there anything else I can do or should I just give up and get some antibiotics?

mamacat
04-13-2016, 11:31 AM
I know that what has worked for some is Cystex

Earthmummy07
04-13-2016, 12:05 PM
After a week I would, but I have a history of kidney infection so anything I cant water out in 24 hours gets antibiotics thrown at it

houseforjoy
04-13-2016, 12:56 PM
honestly at this point i would go in. if you are doing all that stuff and it is not going away, then all it is doing is getting stronger. i would also ask them to culture right away and wait to give you the antibiotics that will actually fight the strain you have, instead of taking the first one they always prescribe, then finding out two weeks later when it isn't gone that you should have been on xyz antibiotic instead.

MariJo7
04-13-2016, 01:27 PM
honestly at this point i would go in. if you are doing all that stuff and it is not going away, then all it is doing is getting stronger. i would also ask them to culture right away and wait to give you the antibiotics that will actually fight the strain you have, instead of taking the first one they always prescribe, then finding out two weeks later when it isn't gone that you should have been on xyz antibiotic instead.

Right! But have you tried thyme already? Thyme is a natural antibiotic. I mean, do go to the doctor, do not wait. But make yourself some thyme tea and add fresh thyme to your soup and to your food. Don't make the tea too strong (might give you headache).
And if it comes back, start to drink thyme tea as soon as you suspect you might have an UTI. It might do the trick.

Another good herb for the UTs and kidneys is dundalion.

When Iwas little I used to eat dundalions. I ate the flowers, the leaves and the flower stem. Everybody always told me not to eat them, but I kept eatong them and I liked them. I often had an UTI when I was little, and later on I learned dundalions were a remedy against UTI. I somehow knew that I needed them.

Vegetables like lettuce and endive are related to dundalions, by the way. Perhaps tey are also beneficial to UTs and kidneys.

Taedareth
04-14-2016, 07:18 AM
Thank you, everyone. A friend also sent me this link with nutrition and other home remedies. I just wanted to post it in case it's helpful to anybody: http://www.life-saving-naturalcures-and-naturalremedies.com/natural-remedies-for-uti.html

greengirl19
04-14-2016, 07:40 AM
Most of the typical remedies work as long as the bacterial strain causing the infection is E.coli (not the same as the food one), which is something like 80% of cases. At this point I'd get a culture to know exactly what you're facing here. I've been reading lots of studies on antibiotics v UTI (N has a bladder condition which makes him prone) and while everything I've read is about kids, it might also be worth looking in to a specific UTI probiotic which may be as effective as antibiotics.

Aerynne
04-14-2016, 07:52 AM
My great uncle died of a UTI. To be clear, he let it go on a long time and didn't go to the Dr. I always get abx.

Taedareth
04-14-2016, 08:50 AM
I have started to wonder if Candida overgrowth can make a person more prone to urinary and vaginal infections. Because I'm pretty sure my hubby has that issue, and I never had these problems before I married him :think

ECingMama
04-14-2016, 10:16 AM
I have started to wonder if Candida overgrowth can make a person more prone to urinary and vaginal infections. Because I'm pretty sure my hubby has that issue, and I never had these problems before I married him :think

I never get caginal infections. My friends get them frequently and take abx every time. I have often wondered if these two ladies have ruined their guts, making them more prone to them.

You can buy the culture papers at Walgreens. Given how long yours has gone on, I'd seek a doctors culture.

mamacat
04-14-2016, 12:06 PM
It could be a yeast related thing.I know that the minute clinics at some of the drugstores treat for UTIs so maybe you could find out if they culture so you can know what you are dealing with

Taedareth
04-15-2016, 06:06 AM
My doctor finally got back to me and she says the irritation I described is just the after effects of an infection that's already been knocked out. Apparently the bladder membrane is delicate and can remain sore for a time while it's healing. She recommended a product called Bladder Ease. But I didn't have to spend $32 on a bottle of that because I had already taken some of the suggestions you ladies gave me, and the irritation is gone.

:ty3 :gcm

mamacat
04-15-2016, 07:49 AM
:phew:phew:phew:rockon:rockon:rockon