PDA

View Full Version : Do You Have a White Sink? I need some feedback

ValiantJoy07
02-06-2016, 08:09 AM
We're in the early stages of sink shopping. Our current sink is shallow, stainless steel and basic it does it's job. :shrug

Some thing is wrong with our faucet (it is loose and broken and needs to be replaced) we have some concerns about the wood under the sink and the surrounding area. The counters are tile and gross (hygienically speaking, I think they're pretty and unique) and so we're talking about just moving forward with replacing the counters, replacing and repairing the wood at the back of the sink (needs to be done ASAP because mold could be growing if the faucet has been linking unbeknownst to us) and replacing the sink.

I want a farm sink. :O My Mom does too (we share a home) but she is encouraging us to go with a dark color. If we go dark I want to invest in a copper sink. Otherwise I want white.

How terrible are white sinks? If you were investing in a sink what color would you go with?

My Mom has a tendency to go with dark things "to hide dirt" or "to be cozy" and the colors she chose for her living room ARE cozy but they suck all the light a constant light suck and I feel like I'm drowning in the lack of light. :O (I love the color. I just can't get over how the particular color she chose absorb light!!!!!)

I'm the only one who regularly scours the sink, I think I can live with it. :think but I was wondering if there were other options some one more savvy in these things could point us towards...Feed back on white sinks... I just need some advice, it's a big investment and I want to get the best thing. :yes

gerberadaisy
02-06-2016, 08:16 AM
We're in the early stages of sink shopping. Our current sink is shallow, stainless steel and basic it does it's job. :shrug

Some thing is wrong with our faucet (it is loose and broken and needs to be replaced) we have some concerns about the wood under the sink and the surrounding area. The counters are tile and gross (hygienically speaking, I think they're pretty and unique) and so we're talking about just moving forward with replacing the counters, replacing and repairing the wood at the back of the sink (needs to be done ASAP because mold could be growing if the faucet has been linking unbeknownst to us) and replacing the sink.

I want a farm sink. :O My Mom does too (we share a home) but she is encouraging us to go with a dark color. If we go dark I want to invest in a copper sink. Otherwise I want white.

How terrible are white sinks? If you were investing in a sink what color would you go with?

My Mom has a tendency to go with dark things "to hide dirt" or "to be cozy" and the colors she chose for her living room ARE cozy but they suck all the light a constant light suck and I feel like I'm drowning in the lack of light. :O (I love the color. I just can't get over how the particular color she chose absorb light!!!!!)

I'm the only one who regularly scours the sink, I think I can live with it. :think but I was wondering if there were other options some one more savvy in these things could point us towards...Feed back on white sinks... I just need some advice, it's a big investment and I want to get the best thing. :yes

I love the look of a white farm house sink. I'm scared to scratch the porcelain. We're compromising with a stainless farmhouse sink (as of right now that's where we're leaning. We can get a double sink that way. I do LOVE the look of the copper ones as well. I know that's probably no help with your situation.

Have you looked at Houzz.com? They have a lot of pictures & you can look at "farmhouse sinks" or some other filter & (mostly) get what you're looking for. You can see the sinks against different woods, etc. It's free but you do have to sign up.

blessedwithboys
02-06-2016, 08:31 AM
We've had a white sink. I loved it. It didn't get stained, and the marks that pots and pans leave are easily scrubbed off with some Barkeeper's Friend powder.

ECingMama
02-06-2016, 08:48 AM
We've had a white sink. I loved it. It didn't get stained, and the marks that pots and pans leave are easily scrubbed off with some Barkeeper's Friend powder.

The first thing I've done upon buying both our houses was to replace the ugly, stainless steel sinks. I LOVE white sinks.

They clean easily with bon Ami or bar keepers friend.

greenleafknitter
02-06-2016, 08:55 AM
We put in white farmhouse sink when we renovated our kitchen and LOVE it. Ours is made from enameled cast iron and it's very easy to clean. I just scrub it with baking soda and a scouring pad. We've had it a year and it still looks brand new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

heartofjoy
02-06-2016, 09:02 AM
Well, I've had white stinks for years and while you can clean them, they do start looking scratched and stained after a few years. Cast iron and stainless steel pans are rough on them. Coffee and tea stain them. Coffee stains are especially hard to get out after awhile. I do think they look very pretty when nice and new and clean but I'm not sure I'd purposely buy one. Then again, I've really never had anything else so maybe I don't know what the alternatives would be like.

ECingMama
02-06-2016, 09:09 AM
Well, I've had white stinks for years and while you can clean them, they do start looking scratched and stained after a few years. Cast iron and stainless steel pans are rough on them. Coffee and tea stain them. Coffee stains are especially hard to get out after awhile. I do think they look very pretty when nice and new and clean but I'm not sure I'd purposely buy one. Then again, I've really never had anything else so maybe I don't know what the alternatives would be like.

I don't drink coffee, so I can't comment on that. Bar keepers friend every week didn't keep yours white?

Dandelion
02-06-2016, 09:12 AM
I think anything looks dirty if you don't clean it, so go with what you love. I used to clean for a house that had a white sink and at the time I thought it was a pain to keep looking clean, but in retrospect I think it might have been easier than stainless steel. I feel like my sink always looks dirty.

Dh would love a farmhouse sink. I love them too, but it is not going to happen so I have gotten over it:giggle.

DahliaRW
02-06-2016, 09:58 AM
Once it gets scratched it'll never look clean again. It's what I hate about our white sink. With kids who help with dishes, it's inevitable.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

heartofjoy
02-06-2016, 10:14 AM
I don't drink coffee, so I can't comment on that. Bar keepers friend every week didn't keep yours white?
I think it's the coffee and the fact that I don't clean it often enough. Also, parts of ours have had the white part (enamel) flake off and it's black (cast iron?) underneath.

Here's my dirty sink:
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160206/de178704d25eab589308fb7aae04cd83.jpg

Here's my clean sink:

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160206/7d7c3f4445c8c48b251dc8da4862da1e.jpg

I think the pictures look better than irl. All the black spots you see are enamel that has come off. The bottoms of the sinks are slightly yellowed and have small spots and scratches. These are about 16 years old. And I don't clean them every week.

ValiantJoy07
02-06-2016, 01:00 PM
These are super helpful. Thanks for the pictures. We're considering a granite farm sink. :nails my mom found it, I haven't looked into it. She was saying she wanted to get brown to hide dirt...but there were other colors options. I am having a hard time imagining granite. :scratch

knitlove
02-06-2016, 01:12 PM
I would love to have a white sink.

From my experience granite will 'hide the dirt'. But I find there is a very narrow line between 'hide the dirt' and 'impossible to get clean'

houseforjoy
02-06-2016, 01:58 PM
I'm not sure about my vote, I will say I hate my white sink. I have a big family and cook a lot. It is just one more thing to keep clean, and even after cleaning it doe as nth look nice anymore. I have even used bleach on and it still is meh. I use stainless a nd cast iron a lot. I like stainless but it isn't pretty. But it is functional. I don't know about granite.

bliss
02-06-2016, 02:35 PM
I didn't like having a white sink. It always seemed gross, like I couldnt get it clean no matter what. Stainless to me is 'cleaner' after you clean it lol.

rjy9343
02-06-2016, 03:42 PM
We had a white sink when I was growing up. Not only do they stain, the enamel chips and flakes. I will never have another one.

ECingMama
02-06-2016, 04:18 PM
This is so fascinating!

I love mine. The scratches come right off for me.

ValiantJoy07
02-06-2016, 04:28 PM
In high school we had a cream stone sink, no one but me ever scrubbed (my Mom did a few times a year I guess when it was a holiday) it but it came clean pretty easily. I am nervous about cast iron with the chipping issue. I cook a ton, we use stainless steel pots and pans. :nails

I think I will need to research. Too bad they don't sell sinks in Amazon.:shifty I read the reviews on there for everything, even if I buy it locally. :giggle

Garland
02-06-2016, 04:35 PM
White sinks are terrible. Never look clean. They scratch easily and show marks. My favorite kitchen sink was black granite/composite. Looked so nice and even after several years cleaned up perfect with no scratches or chips or marks.

FaithHopeLove
02-06-2016, 04:57 PM
I hate enamel sinks. But my white sink is some kind of solid material, and it cleans up perfectly, couldn't chip or flake (unless I dropped a boulder in there or something), and looks bright and clean. I drink coffee, cook a ton, but can't use cast iron at this house because the type of stove I have isn't compatible.

I'd rather have something I can see the dirt on and know to clean it than something that "hides" it, and a dark sink just seems very odd to me. I would go with stainless steel (I like the modern designs with stainless) over a dark material, and probably choose the same kind of white I have if I had the option.

I don't use bleach because I'm on a septic, and clean my sink with either dish soap and a scrub brush (for quick cleaning) or Bon Ami for deeper scrubbing.

knitlove
02-06-2016, 05:00 PM
I think I will need to research. Too bad they don't sell sinks in Amazon.:shifty I read the reviews on there for everything, even if I buy it locally. :giggle

Amizon does have sinks. http://www.amazon.com/kitchen-sinks/b?ie=UTF8&node=3754181

Soliloquy
02-06-2016, 06:55 PM
I love white sinks. We're replacing our sink & counters at some point and I will get a huge white sink. There are different grades/quality. The cheap ones will scratch & stain much sooner than the better ones. You can put a special mat or rack in the sink to prevent scratching, too.

My current sink is dark charcoal :shiver and it always looks dirty. It shows every hard water spot and just generally looks icky even when I've just cleaned it.

---------- Post added at 05:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:11 PM ----------

I hate enamel sinks. But my white sink is some kind of solid material, and it cleans up perfectly, couldn't chip or flake (unless I dropped a boulder in there or something), and looks bright and clean. I drink coffee, cook a ton, but can't use cast iron at this house because the type of stove I have isn't compatible.

I'd rather have something I can see the dirt on and know to clean it than something that "hides" it, and a dark sink just seems very odd to me. I would go with stainless steel (I like the modern designs with stainless) over a dark material, and probably choose the same kind of white I have if I had the option.

I don't use bleach because I'm on a septic, and clean my sink with either dish soap and a scrub brush (for quick cleaning) or Bon Ami for deeper scrubbing.

Do you think it's Corian?

I am going to get an undermount sink. I want Quartz counters but we may go with white Corian, probably getting a Corian sink either way.

ECingMama
02-06-2016, 07:13 PM
That's a good point. Mine was expensive.

I really think coffee would be hard on a sink though. The carpet guy told me coffee was the hardest to get out of carpet. Both grandmas drink coffee on my carpet and leave the cup on floor while playing with the kids.

FaithHopeLove
02-06-2016, 07:27 PM
I love white sinks. We're replacing our sink & counters at some point and I will get a huge white sink. There are different grades/quality. The cheap ones will scratch & stain much sooner than the better ones. You can put a special mat or rack in the sink to prevent scratching, too.

My current sink is dark charcoal :shiver and it always looks dirty. It shows every hard water spot and just generally looks icky even when I've just cleaned it.

---------- Post added at 05:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:11 PM ----------

I am going to get an undermount sink. I want Quartz counters but we may go with white Corian, probably getting a Corian sink either way.

My guess is porcelain? It's solid, whatever it is. And you don't hear that metallic pinging sound when you pour a thin stream of water in it, similar to the sinks that chip. I don't think it has any metal other than the drain fittings.

It's a Kohler. I went and looked after posting earlier, lol.

twoplustwo
02-06-2016, 07:36 PM
I have a white sink. I do not love it for all the reasons everyone mentioned. Except it hasn't flaked.

Our previous home had stainless steel. I liked that much better in the long run.

If I got a new sink I might do something different though.

ValiantJoy07
02-07-2016, 12:37 PM

Yes I want quartz countertops in a light bright grey with white specks. :giggle and I want a giant sink. That's the thing my Mom was saying the copper sink I was eyeing was too expensive. But 1) if we're going halvesies 2) I want some thing that will last and not be damaged. The cream stone sink we had in high school never chipped it did get a bit scratched if I recall correctly. :think I like the idea of copper because it is antimicrobial and while it isn't white, it wouldn't encourage gross things to grow in between dishwasher loads...

gerberadaisy
02-07-2016, 08:26 PM
In high school we had a cream stone sink, no one but me ever scrubbed (my Mom did a few times a year I guess when it was a holiday) it but it came clean pretty easily. I am nervous about cast iron with the chipping issue. I cook a ton, we use stainless steel pots and pans. :nails

Wayfair.com definitely sell sinks - all types. We're redoing our kitchen son so i've. Been looking

greendelight
02-09-2016, 10:44 AM
We have a white sink, and I don't love it.