PDA

View Full Version : Gluten free mexican

twoplustwo
01-23-2015, 06:28 AM
I am making a meal. I need to have to both meat and vegetarian options.

I plan to go Mexican.

Guacamole and chips.
Enchiladas. (Chicken & vegetarian)

I also need to incorporate gluten free for one person? What are my options?

TIA!

KarenBoo
01-23-2015, 06:39 AM
GF Mexican is easy. Just use corn tortillas and then you can use almost anything else.

Beans, rice, salsa, guac, sour cream, meat, spices (check to make sure they are gf).

ThreeKids
01-23-2015, 06:54 AM
The hardest part of gluten free mexican is making sure the spices are gluten free and that's pretty easy so it's just not hard.

Maleldil's daughter
01-23-2015, 07:27 AM
The only thing I'd add is if you normally make rolled enchiladas with flour tortillas, I'd probably recommend layered enchiladas with corn tortillas.

marbles
01-23-2015, 07:34 AM
I don't know about gf seasoning packets, but if you do use those usually it's very easy to season things yourself. I just sprinkle things in until it seems right. Cumin, paprika, salt, pepper, red pepper, oregano, whatever else I have that seems good :) Some hard shells are gluten free and of course there's soft corn tortillas but I don't like those as much.

backtobasicsmum
01-23-2015, 07:50 AM
There are also several brands of enchilada sauce that are labeled gf.

Mother of Sons
01-23-2015, 08:24 AM
McCormick taco seasoning packets are gluten free as well as all of their single spices (but not all blends)

twoplustwo
01-23-2015, 11:05 AM
Ok, I did not know about being careful about gf spices and enchilada sauce. Though I think I am going to make my own enchilada sauce, I made this one last time & it was really good. But I did not know there was gluten in spices and that kind of stuff. Ill be careful on that (or just use the seperate list posted above).

Corn tortillas have fallen apart in the past when I have used them for enchiladas. Is there a trick to having better luck. They don't make bigger, thinner corn tortillas, do they?

I could just keep some of the enchilada inside out and serve it with corn tortillas separately. The would work, wouldn't it?

Thanks all! I know very little about gf!

knitlove
01-23-2015, 11:09 AM
You need to use as freash corn torteas as you can get and warm them up. Then they will roll nicely

KarenBoo
01-23-2015, 01:25 PM
There are not many corn tortillas that I can use that would roll nicely. A pp suggested a layering of the corn tortillas, and that's what I would do.

squiddles
01-23-2015, 01:28 PM
Lightly frying them in a little oil keeps them soft for me...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 12:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:28 PM ----------

Or layering,, there's an enchilada casserole dish on Pinterest that does it this way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aerynne
01-23-2015, 02:01 PM
Sprouts has bigger, thinner corn tortillas. If you don't have a Sprouts, I would try a different health food store.

Mother of Sons
01-23-2015, 03:05 PM
Corn tortillas have to be heated in a bit of oil otherwise they taste nasty and tear. Also tostitos tortilla chips are gluten free

twoplustwo
01-23-2015, 03:13 PM
Thanks all! I tried the layering of corn tortillas once, not for a gf reason just bc I was trying something new & it wasnt a big hit with my people. They arent big corn tortilla people.

I think Im going to go with the corn tortillas on the side & just have some extra goody for the inside.

Bc that's easiest & keeps the most # of people happy.

mipennsn
01-23-2015, 07:18 PM
We eat a lot of Mexican in our partially GF household. Corn tortillias aren't a favorite. We really haven't found one we like.

I like keeping a little of the enchilada filling separate. They might even like eating it on the chips. That sounds good to me.

KarenBoo
01-23-2015, 07:57 PM
At our local hfs in Portland, we could buy these homemade corn tortillas that were *fantastic!* I can't remember the brand, but I doubt you can find them anywhere except there. I wonder if other local people might make some too?

ArmsOfLove
01-23-2015, 09:33 PM
If you can get your hands on some Rudi's Gluten Free Brown Rice Tortillas (we get them from Costco) they are delicious and actually fold like regular tortillas :tu

knitlove
01-24-2015, 04:07 PM
Making corn torteas isn't hard and when they are fresh they are wonderful and rollable.

ronioli
01-25-2015, 01:27 AM
Sounds like you're set on enchiladas, but I wanted to mention that I often do a "build-your-own" burrito (or burrito bowl) bar with tortillas, veggies, beans, meats, cheese, sour cream, various salsas, etc. Then everyone can select what will work for their particular diets.

twoplustwo
01-30-2015, 11:00 AM
Thanks everyone!

So my taco seasoning has "organic yellow corn flour" - so I am good using that I assume!

In addition to the guacamole and chips and the chicken & vegetarian enchiladas and the corn tortillas with vege inside for it, Im also making mexican rice - so every dietary need should have plenty to eat.

And the gluten free person is bringing dessert and I assume it'll be meat free as desserts tend to be so we should be good there. :giggle