PDA

View Full Version : Tablet advice

JoyfulMom
10-16-2014, 12:14 PM
I have a 12 y/o special needs son. He loves my iPad, but I'm thinking of getting him his own tablet. Are there any suggestions as to what kind besides iPad?

Kiara.I
10-16-2014, 12:26 PM
Well, android tablets typically provide equivalent functionality for cheaper. You can get *much* cheaper ones, but they may have less processing power.

I'm not sure what's good right now. I did most of my research about 2 years ago, and of course the tablet market changes SO fast that it's all useless to you. ;)

ValiantJoy07
10-16-2014, 02:01 PM
I really like the kindle fire, I have had mine for 3 years (the last year it has been used mostly for reading or for the kids entertainment on the go ) and it is still ticking and it has taken a beating. I also have the dell venue 32GB I believe. It has been fantastic, and can be connected to a keyboard like the windows surface.

I am waiting for my new kindle fire HDX to arrive- DH is adopting my dell and I am going back to kindle. I love the interface and Amazon has been fantastic with customer support. I am hoping the keyboard has been improved though.

I think your best bet is to type in "tablet" on Amazon and sift through the reviews.

Llee
10-16-2014, 02:13 PM
For special needs, I'd go with iPad right now. There are more programs released through there, at this moment. But that's expected to change.

JoyfulMom
10-17-2014, 07:51 PM
He is used to an iPad, but it really isn't in the budget. This will be his Christmas present.

Llee
10-18-2014, 05:28 AM
You can do a layaway at Wal-Mart or K-Mart or look on CL or your local Facebook garage sale site. I've been surprised at how many are for sale each fall. And this year they released a new one, so the previous generation should be cheaper.