PDA

View Full Version : Weather causing migraines!

tempus vernum
09-15-2014, 09:43 AM
Specifically stormy weather.

I'm not sure how to help. Tried lavender oil. Peppermint makes worse!

Only thing that helps is Tylenol Advil and Benadryl all at once!

They can last up to 48 hrs! And I feel might have hormonal connection as well. Seems when PMS hits she gets them.

This is my 14 yo dd!

Any ideas of how to help??

mamamonkey
09-15-2014, 10:29 AM
Honestly, you are probably going to have to do the med combo if that's what works. I am a walking barometer. I get a migraine every.single.time we have a storm front. Sometimes before the front even gets to us. Meds, taken at the first sign, are the only thing that helps. Unfortunately, this is just one of those unavoidable, uncontrollable triggers.

HomeWithMyBabies
09-15-2014, 10:57 AM
I still get these. :(

Occasionally a hot shower helps or some coffee. I use an ice pack to reduce inflammation and sometimes a motrin/allergy med combo. I'll get those together and try to take a nap. One thing that's been helping is forcing my jaw forward and letting some of the pressure release through my ears. I was told as a child I have a weak profile and should have my jaw reset for aesthetic reasons, and now I wish I had done something like that because it does seem to help the pressure equalize.

One day I was so sick, nauseous and in pain so much I didn't want to move my head. Like a light switch it was just gone. I looked up and could see out the window snow was coming down fast where it hadn't been a minute before.

tempus vernum
09-15-2014, 03:03 PM
Dh thinks we need to consider meds (like prescription)!

Fascinating about the jaw! She has just been diagnosed w tmj!

Just called doc! Taking her in to see if a script will help. She slept all day after I gave meds and I repeated Benadryl and Advil but can't repeat the Tylenol :(

I'm fine w giving her the meds but hate seeing her like this! :(

HomeWithMyBabies
09-15-2014, 06:23 PM
I know, it's awful. :( One other thing I just remembered; counter pressure. I wear a baseball hat that I can tighten down around my skull as much as humanly possible. When Dh sees the hat on he knows!

I never tried a craniofacial approach but chiropractic doesn't seem to help so much with this.

mamamonkey
09-16-2014, 04:38 AM
There is a new thing out called migracap. It is like a toboggan (I think every one else calls them beanies or stocking caps) with ice packs in it.

Counter pressure helps me too. I usually just put a pillow on my head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MudPies
09-16-2014, 04:49 AM
Does she take magnesium? The equivalent of 400-800 mg per day prevents the barometric mediated ones in me. The oil or gel work for me but epsom baths alone do not.

tempus vernum
09-16-2014, 05:38 PM
Does she take magnesium? The equivalent of 400-800 mg per day prevents the barometric mediated ones in me. The oil or gel work for me but epsom baths alone do not.

She's been spraying magnesium oil every few hours!! But she had been forgetting her magnesium for at least a week prior to the pressure change!

Our doc wants her to get industrial laser protection eyewear! Apparently red light is a huge trigger .. And wants her to try natural as well as exedrine migraine and caffeine! I love our new doc ...

AnotherNamedKate
09-19-2014, 04:13 AM
Migraines? No. But I do get a stuffed up nose right before a storm roles though. There's something about the area we recently moved to that my allergies just do not like, and since the my sinuses have been extremely sensitive to any kind of environmental change.

tempus vernum
09-19-2014, 05:23 AM
4 days straight this child has been suffering :(

We are investing in red light therapy and red laser protection glasses.

Doc wanted her to start w exedrine migraine first and do a log.
If she's still bad when she wakes up, I am emailing the doctor today!

She's off all screens and not doing anything. Resting as much as possible.

sweetpeasmommy
09-19-2014, 07:27 PM
:hugheart

Have you asked your homeopath?

tempus vernum
09-20-2014, 04:58 AM
:hugheart

Have you asked your homeopath?

I haven't -she refused to consider going to the homeopath or the chiropractor because she knows that she ALWAYS gets worse for 2 to 4 days after a remedy. She had an audition last night she wanted to go to and feared it would be worse. She's had these migraines all along with homeopathic treatment and I've been hesitant because this is the worst one yet I didn't think she could handle the healing crisis of her homeopathic remedy. She picked up on my hesitance and dh didn't feel right about it.

Ended up in the ER last night because she was on day 5. Made it through the audition and crashed so I took her for IV meds. She got better really quickly. Now we need to figure out how to avoid them or do something :(

mamamonkey
09-20-2014, 05:01 PM
I don't know how you would feel about this, but part of my rescue plan is when I have a migraine that lasts more than 24 hours I take a 50 mg dose of prednisone. Typically one dose aborts the attack and I'm good. I can take up to 3 doses if needed. Finding out that this worked was a total blessing.

Contented in FL
09-20-2014, 07:34 PM
Poor baby! 5 days! ...I have had migraines literally since kindergarten but never that long.

DH finally helped me discover many triggers during our first year of marriage. For me, main ones include not eating enough veggies (I am almost always okay if I eat 3 c./day), eating something I 'shouldn't' (non-organic beef, aspartame, full-fat non-organic dairy products, general junk food, MSG), not getting enough sleep, dealing poorly with stress/schedule changes even if I'm happy about the new thing.

I'm supee interested in the skull cap/baaeball hat PPs mentioned--I always find something hard to press my head into when I have a migraine. Current favs are the arm of the couch (doubly useful since it means my tossing and turning don't disrupt DH and DS's sleep) & a long tube made like a rice sack meant to be microwaved. Counterpressure is a major key for me. And, sad to say it, but DH is always right when he reminds me that--for me--the duration is shorter if I get up much more frequently than I'd like (hourly?) and wash a plate or take a walk to the mailbox or something. It ALWAYS hurts more to get up and ALWAYS makes me vomit. But then it's over in 12 hrs or less rather than ~16.

Hope your sweet DD finds a solution and some relief from the next one more easily and quickly. Hugs to her! (and you!)

Sent from my YP-GI1 using Tapatalk 2

mummy2boys
09-21-2014, 02:53 AM
Your poor DD :-( I suffer from migraines as well, the longest lasted 6 weeks. I find weather affects mine as well and I end up having to take a heavy migraine tablet.

But recently my naturopath has put me onto magnesium and I must say it has really been helping me a lot. I also try to have lavender all around me....oils, soap, body lotions etc.

:pray4 your DD gets so me relief :heart

tempus vernum
09-21-2014, 12:03 PM
Your poor DD :-( I suffer from migraines as well, the longest lasted 6 weeks. I find weather affects mine as well and I end up having to take a heavy migraine tablet.

But recently my naturopath has put me onto magnesium and I must say it has really been helping me a lot. I also try to have lavender all around me....oils, soap, body lotions etc.

:pray4 your DD gets so me relief :heart

We've been overloading on lavender and magnesium!
She took imitrix and it didn't work.

6 weeks :bheart :hugheart my son had one 3 weeks and that was unbearable. This was bad and is still stinky.

She's better but still needing drugs every day! But now we aren't messing around. Second she aches she takes the big guns :(

We r repeating her homeopathic today and praying. Looking into different e.o.'s acupuncture and other natural remedies!