PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Salad Bar

charla
06-05-2014, 10:20 AM
I used to do this but had forgotten all about it until I went to my sil's house last weekend and she did one. It was soooo yummy. So this week I have prepped all the salad stuff and have it at the ready for making salads all week (if it lasts that long :shifty). I prep the green leaf lettuce and spin it dry and put it in a well-sealing Tupperware to keep in the fridge where it keeps for several days because it's dry and sealed. Then I chop and shred veggies and have them at the ready in containers in the fridge, too, along with other fixins like bacon bits, croutons, sunflower seeds, and the dressings, etc. I can't believe I had forgotten about this. :dohDo any of you do something like this? What ingredients do you have at the ready?

MercyInDisguise
06-05-2014, 10:23 AM
Oooh yummy! You could also do some steak or grilled chicken to make it a full meal.

Sent from my LG-LG730 using Tapatalk

joystrength
06-05-2014, 11:40 AM
All those proteins -- full meal already!! YAY!
If you are not nut-allergic, you can add glazed pecans or almonds (or raw, of course).
Pumpkin seeds
Avacado
Different cheeses
Dollops of hummus
Various crackers

mamacat
06-05-2014, 11:47 AM
We used to love a dalad with blue cheese crumbles and shaved almonds,grape or cherry tomatos are yummy.Can also change it up and use ubusual veies like grated beets or zuchinni

esperanza
06-05-2014, 11:47 AM
Great idea now that CSA season is starting!

charla
06-05-2014, 12:08 PM
Oh my goodness, I love beets on salad. Thanks for the reminder. And I have pumpkin seeds and nuts in my freezer to try so that would be awesome, too. Protein would be great to make it a meal. I'll have to think on that for another week of salad bar options because both of my kids love steak and chicken. I had never thought of hummus on salad but I think it would be soooo yummy. Thanks for the idea.

MercyInDisguise
06-05-2014, 12:56 PM
All those proteins -- full meal already!!

True! I've been craving chicken caesar salad so I have meat on the brain. :shifty :giggle

Johns_Gal
06-05-2014, 01:14 PM
I have to do this. Otherwise DD is like :lol No lunch for you, mother. I have salad for lunch everyday because it is so easy, and send one for dh most days too.

I just throw bits of broccoli, sliced strawberries, peppers, cucumber, squash, etc into their own plastic bags. I buy huge tubs of greens from Costco since my lettuce bed can't keep up with demand. Every few days I boil some eggs or grill extra chicken so there's at least one those lurking in there, and I split an avocado with ds.

I think I forgot about croutons. :shifty I bought some last night for the first time in ages.

believer
06-05-2014, 01:16 PM
You could also have hard boiled eggs; thawed out from frozen peas, corn, and edamame; marinated artichoke hearts; olives; pickled okra (I love that); feta cheese; cherry tomatoes (keep on the counter - not in the fridge - I keep mine in a pretty bowl);and sugar snap peas - rinsed in a container in the fridge.

schmamy
06-05-2014, 01:30 PM
FYI, if you put a paper towel on top of your greens inside the plastic container, they last longer :tu

Someone mentioned zucchini...we love zucchini on salad. Nice satisfying texture. :yum

charla
06-05-2014, 02:47 PM
I'm furiously taking notes. Artichoke hearts, olives, feta cheese, zucchini, peppers, broccoli, frozen peas - wow my salad could be so big I wouldn't be able to eat it. But I love all of that stuff. I can see having different options available each week so we don't get bored with the same things. :yes

sweetpeas
06-05-2014, 03:08 PM
We just did this for lunch today:

Lettuce, cucumbers, carrots, bell peppers, chick peas, black olives, parmesan cheese, lime juice (as a dressing), ranch dressing, canned beets (would do fresh if they weren't so frustratingly expensive!) . . . I think that was today's if I ever planned ahead enough I'd either have chopped hard boiled eggs, or egg salad to use as dressing.

charla
06-05-2014, 03:19 PM
I'm with you on the canned beets, LaRee. ;) I'm adding chickpeas to my list.

Johns_Gal
06-05-2014, 03:22 PM
If it is a vegetable or fruit, you can make a salad out of it. :yes :lol Worst case you just eat around the ill advised chunks of jicama.

ReadingMommy
06-05-2014, 04:03 PM
Subbing :)

hollybells
06-05-2014, 04:25 PM
Not "fresh" but for a treat, I'll put out a bowl with canned mandarin oranges to add to salads. They're always g.o.n.e. :giggle

And I like to make my own croutons but I could quadruple the recipe and they'd only last one meal. :rolleyes They snack on them before dinner until they're almost gone if I get distracted. Of course, I am a pillar of restraint. :shifty

charla
06-05-2014, 04:27 PM
Not "fresh" but for a treat, I'll put out a bowl with canned mandarin oranges to add to salads. They're always g.o.n.e. :giggle

And I like to make my own croutons but I could quadruple the recipe and they'd only last one meal. :rolleyes They snack on them before dinner until they're almost gone if I get distracted. Of course, I am a pillar of restraint. :shifty

Of course, I would join you in being a pillar of restraint. :shifty ;)