PDA

View Full Version : Morning Sickness Help!

ShepherdsWife
05-09-2014, 03:48 PM
I was sick with my first, but I don't remember it being this awful. I can barely function. Today I was super dehydrated so I have been trying to get liquids down. I have tried almost all protein and I got worse. Baked potato seems like the only thing I can eat. I can hardly stand without doubling over with stomach nausea and cramps. Anyone have any suggestions? Has anyone tried any medicine that is safe. I just can't imagine being like this for weeks. I was sick with my first until 18 weeks but it was definitely milder. I am only 6 weeks and I have already been sick for two weeks. It seems to be getting worse too. I don't know what to do.

SamRose
05-09-2014, 04:12 PM
Are you actually vomitting, or just having the awful feelings of extreme nausea & abdominal pain?

SouthPaw
05-09-2014, 04:24 PM
You could try B6. I personally signed up for meds this time because I was unwilling to put myself through that again. It made life bearable for the first 4-5 months.

ShepherdsWife
05-09-2014, 05:10 PM
I dry wretch and "vomit" abdominal gas a lot. I will bend over the sink to vomit and over and over each time it feels like something is coming up gas comes out instead of food/liquid like I think is going to. I don't actually vomit food or liquid that much but I never have my entire life. I hardly have a gag reflex. When I even get stomach flu I can hardly vomit. I've met two other women who told me they have the same problem. I feel awful but I feel like something is wrong with my not vomiting and feeling so bad. My SIL vomits and then feels better and is hardly nauseas until another nauseas bought and vomit comes. This way, she actually can function and feels pretty ok all day. I on the other hand feel like I am on the verge of needing to run to the bathroom any second all day long. I wish I could just vomit a few times a day and then feel ok. Vomiting makes things feel better, but I guess with my desire to keep something down I haven't really wanted to start trying harder to make myself gag and actually vomit. Anytime I drink a tiny bit of water my stomach cramps up awful. My abdominal cramps and nausea is so bad anyway that putting anything in my stomach makes things awful enough to the point I have hardly drank or eaten though I am trying to eat small amounts of protein since that seems to help for about 30 minutes a tiny bit. I am pretty sure if I pushed myself to drink and eat I would vomit more often though. I thought mu second would be better, but so far this baby is WAY worse. Before with DS, I was nauseas an vomited occasionally and I ended up in bed one day, but I was mildly active every day all day long. I am so sick I can hardly move this time. I had stomach flu last month and this definitely ranks up there with it. The only time I get any relief is when I am perfectly still in a fetal ball in bed...and DS doesn't like me to do that. I just weaned yesterday because my milk is all but gone after these past two weeks and I am exhausted. I wanted to wait a couple more months, but I think DS(21 months) is taking it well since his milk has been going away for the last couple weeks anyway. He cries a tiny bit and then seems happy to lay his head on my shoulder and sleep that way all night instead. I am grateful for that. I was afraid he wouldn't wean so easily since I have always nursed him every night and almost every nap. Maybe he senses how sick I am. I also keep getting hot and then cold and then chills and then hot again. I seem to change constantly all day. Maybe it is the crazy Spring and just my lack of sleep and food, but I don't remember this last time. Anyone else have swings like this too?

---------- Post added at 06:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:08 PM ----------

You could try B6. I personally signed up for meds this time because I was unwilling to put myself through that again. It made life bearable for the first 4-5 months.

Thanks, I am already taking that. I am taking B6, magnesium, and trying to eat protein every hour like I've been told to(tiny bits like cheese cubes, peanut butter on toast or crackers, etc.). That helped last time and the B6 seemed to help last pregnancy, but nothing seems to help right now. I can at least get a little water in me with magnesium powder in it. The sort-of sour taste keeps the gag reflex from coming up so quick. My OB said he would give me medicine last time, but I felt I could manage on my own with natural remedies, ginger, etc. This time I can't seem to get ahead of this. I have heard so many horrors of medication and I usually am a very natural mama that I am afraid to try anything, but I honestly can't see myself staying this way for another 10-12 weeks. What medication do you use? I have thought about even getting something to use occasionally when it is really bad. A couple days ago, it was awful, but I could still accomplish something by really pushing myself. Today, pushing myself just isn't really working. My OB last time had mentioned that I didn't have to take something every day, just when I couldn't get out of bed. I am so used to working 12 hour days in the corral. I think that even makes this worse for me...I don't know how to do nothing.

SouthPaw
05-09-2014, 05:46 PM
I took Zofran despite the new cautions. The small chance of side effects was worth being able to get out of bed atleast most days. I am not willing to put myself through that torture of all day sickness for weeks on. end.

ShepherdsWife
05-09-2014, 05:51 PM
So, the zophran helps? I was told by one person that it never even phased her vomiting and she still ended up in the hospital. She said she couldn't tell the difference with or without it.

Sparrow
05-09-2014, 05:53 PM
I took zofran too. The cautions came out after I finished my last doses. I think there is a slight increase in chance of a cleft palate. Maybe its worth looking into for you?

SouthPaw
05-09-2014, 05:58 PM
I had to be maxed. Out at 32 mg/day before it had a noticeable.effect. sorry for punctuation my phone isn't letting me backspace...

ShepherdsWife
05-09-2014, 06:05 PM
I looked it up and they said that that used to be thought, but now, they think that with the new study there is not a cleft pallet side effect.

---------- Post added at 07:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:02 PM ----------

I had to be maxed. Out at 32 mg/day before it had a noticeable.effect. sorry for punctuation my phone isn't letting me backspace...

Did you have to take it every day? I would rather try to take natural things and only take medication on the days when I can't get out of bed at all. I am still hoping that this will lighten up a little and let me get out of bed in the next day or so if I try really hard to stay hydrated with tiny sips. I am going to look into increasing my B6 dose too. For some reason ginger makes me throw up and super nauseas. Crazy I know since everyone else loves it.

SouthPaw
05-09-2014, 06:07 PM
i had to take it every day and not miss a dose until umm...20 weeks? 22? Now I only take it as needed.

SamRose
05-09-2014, 06:55 PM
I had horrible nausea & abdominal pains and never once puked, either. B vits & a few other natural things did nothing. Midwives didnt have any explanation or guesses as to wut was causing my pain. Went to my doc last preg & she said I could try zofran, but that it's more for vomitting, which I didnt have. I took 2 doses, experienced the constipation side effect right away, but no relief of pain, so I stopped that right away (not worth the risks, which I didnt know abt at the time, and I was desperate). She finally said her best guess was that I get pregnancy induced GI issues.
Long story short, nothing ever helped as far as treatment. :(
And not that Im recommending a junk food diet, but the main source of releif I found was heavy, greasy fast food or turkey subs w/ tons of pickles. Pickles in general did usually give some releif. And even tho I didnt feel like eating, if I kept my stomach more than half full it felt a little better, so I ate often knowing it wasnt gonna come back up no matter if it felt like it would. Yer situation doesnt sound exactly like mine, but if U havent been puking, trying to eat a bunch might be worth a shot. :shrug2

kiloyd
05-09-2014, 06:57 PM
The cure for me was to eat very small amounts, like one string cheese, at least every hour.

If I felt sick the cure was to eat something, even though i didn't want to eat anything.

SouthPaw
05-09-2014, 07:08 PM
Yeah, there are definitely varying levels, so just do what is needed to give you comfort.

Nothing nothing nothing worked for me except drugs and so I tend to be very bitter about it and all the well-meaning advice that did nothing :shifty That's my bias on being a hardcore "take the drugs so you can feel better!!!" voice.

squiddles
05-09-2014, 10:47 PM
I feel for you!! I had hyperemesis with all four of mine, and with each one it got worse and lasted longer... and for me, the nausea was sometimes worse than the vomiting! Just because it never ever went away... even with the medications.

If you believe you are dehydrated, i strongly suggest going and getting IV rehydration... being dehydrated makes your symptoms worse, and if it's severe can increase your risk of miscarriage.

There are several different prescription meds for the nausea and vomiting, I had to take a combination of a two meds plus B6 and benedryl to keep me functional, but I still spent a good 4 months in bed while taking the drugs 24 hrs/day....
but you might be able to get away with only taking something on your worst days, and skipping the meds if you feel you can function fine on other days... definitely talk to your Dr about it!
Also, try drinking something besides water to hydrate yourself... like coconut water, kombucha, juice, jell-o... anything but plain water!!

Hopetobe
05-10-2014, 10:10 AM
I had HG with both full pregnancies. I had to take zofran or else I just would not stop throwing up. Zofran did decrease my vomiting a lot, but I still felt super nauseous. Since your case seems different, a different medication or combo might be helpful. For example, for some women, it seems to be more of a reflux type issue, so some of those type meds help the most. Another example is a med called phenergan, which is considered a higher risk than zofran (at the time at least, I've seen people mention new precautions, so I don't know for sure if zofran is still less, but when I look it up it still appears to be B level instead of the higher level of C that phenergan is). My insurance didn't want to pay for much zofran this last pregnancy at first (when the new OB office I first went to had annoyingly just said it was for MS not HG), so they gave me phenergan to try. It lessened my nausea some, but seemed to have no or very little impact on vomiting, and also made me feel more dehydrated, which then made me feel worse. So, zofran was better for me. Some women take both to manage it.

If you think you are or could be dehydrated, go get checked out. Fluids should help symptoms (and help you have a healthier pregnancy), especially the cramping that you mentioned, which would concern me.

:hug Being super sick during pregnancy is so hard. I really, really do not like taking medication and l most especially not while pregnant or nursing, but I had to so I could stay hydrated and eat for the health of me and the baby. With DS, I usually just took one dose a day. With DD, I took 2-4. I had to find what helped me the most to drink and eat and survive, with each pregnancy. I know it's cliche, but really, each pregnancy is different. Similarily though, I had HG the entire pregnancy with both kids, so that can happen too (I hope that doesn't happen with you. It probably won't, so don't worry, I think it's kind of rare). And, yes, zofran can cause constipation, so be forewarned about that.

Oh, I forgot to mention, this last pregnancy, I tried acupuncture, and I was so glad I did. I had been feeling worse and more nauseous quicker than with DS. I went to acupuncture, and while sometimes it takes a few times to see results, after the very first time I actually felt like eating something, which was amazing at that point. I still had to take zofran, and still threw up sometimes, but I firmly believe that it helped me feel better than I would have felt had I not done it. I felt like I had a little more energy too. There are some studies that show evidence of it lessening MS. I went twice a week for the first few months of pregnancy, until the effects seemed to plateau.

I hope you feel better soon.

ETA: I definitely agree with squiddles about the water! Plain water tends to make things worse. Try different things and see what teds to be easier on you. I could only drink ktea for a few weeks. Most of the time, I just did juice or juice mixed with water I think.

Ginger didn't work for me either. Eating a little something all the time did help, but my diet was very limited, especially at first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HadassahSukkot
05-10-2014, 01:45 PM
I had hyperemesis with my youngest. I was also additionally experiencing vertigo and was plastered to furniture or the floor. A car ride could send me way over the edge. I was hugging a bucket an awful lot.

I was given a script for liquid and pill form of Dimenhydrinate. If I couldn't keep the pills down, take the liquid - it absorbs faster -- yadda yadda. I took it from my first tri until around the time TB was a year old, that's how long that feeling lasted. :sigh

A friend of mine had this her entire pregnancy with both of her boys and ended up in the hospital repeatedly to keep her hydrated and rested. I felt so awful the last time because I couldn't visit her because I had the same issue. I was about to be hospitalized, but I had no alternative care options for my eldest. This stuff is hard. :( I'd definitely recommend talking to your doctor about treatment options if herbal remedies and vitimins are not helping!

Rivendell Raven
05-10-2014, 02:55 PM
I hope you are feeling better today. I had hyper emesis the entire pregnancy up until delivery. Zofran was the only thing that helped me be able to function. For the first 3 Months I tried everything else that was natural. I even went as far as peeling and eating raw ginger when making my own tea didn't work. I became dehydrated, lost 14 lbs and ended up in emergency twice which at that point the risk off taking medication outweighed lack of nutrition and hydration from always vomiting. They dosed me pretty high in the emergency room and after I stopped vomiting I was able to work with 4-8 mg dissolving tablets 2 times a day until delivery. As long as I kept taking it I was fine.

I would strongly recommend drinking extra water, stool sofeners, and a high fiber diet or activia yogurt while taking zofran. It gave me terrible constipation for a while. Dd is fine and with no side effects from the medication by the grace of God.

ShepherdsWife
05-10-2014, 04:59 PM
Thanks ladies. after hearing all of you with hyperemisis I feel fortunate. This morning I was in tears talking to DH. I just totally wasn't prepared to feel like this for this long. The hardest part is thinking that I am not even half-way through it. However, today, I got out of bed this afternoon and made it to the store to get some more bananas for DS who is on a banana eating frenzy. He wants a banana every time I say no to nursing. We made it but I was never so glad to see the bed again. At least I was able to get up though. That's a triumph! :)

I talked to the pharmacist who was rather discouraging about over the counter meds for me to take. I am going to call my doctor Monday. I think I could handle the cramping or the nausea, but not both together at least of this magnitude. I know that I have lost some weight. We don't have a scale but the pants that were a little tight last week are almost too big now and need a belt. Today is a little better and I think it has helped that I am making a concerted effort to drink lots of liquids even though it feels terrible. With tiny constant sipping I have managed to not throw up more than twice today so far.

I do think I have some terrible acid reflux for sure so I will talk to the doctor about that. Anyone have any suggestions for getting a higher intake of B6? My MIL said I should try acupuncture too. I might consider it. I had never heard anyone else say it helped.

Findabhair
05-10-2014, 06:23 PM
I had hyperemisis in pregnancy as well. That said, I now have IBS C and I get bloated, gassy and crampy in a way that sounds similar to what you're experiencing. I take probiotic pills and they help a lot. This is what I take. I'm not sure if it would be safe in pregnancy: http://www.nowfoods.com/Probiotic-10-50-Billion-50-Veg-Capsules.htm

When pregnant I found I could stomach a smoothie in the morning, a cheeseburger at 2am and gatorade sometimes helped the queasiness. Hope you're feeling better soon!

homesteadmama
05-10-2014, 07:26 PM
:hugheart

I'm right here with you. It's so miserable. I can't wait for it to be over.

Not much is helping me, but here is what I'm doing:

Taking ginger pills (because I hate the taste of ginger)

Taking 3 different homeopathies. Nux Vomica (for vomiting), sepia (works the best for me), and Mag Phos (helps your body absorb magnesium)

Taking magnesium every night, if I'm able to swallow the pills without gagging

Eating high fat and protein. Mostly the fat curbs the nausea for me. In the mornings I make a smoothie with 2 raw egg yolks, 2 tablespoons of coconut oil, 1.5 cups raw milk, 2-3 tablespoons of maple syrup, and any frozen fruit I feel like. Sometimes bananas, sometimes strawberries or rhubarb. That really helps, and I can go a couple hours sometimes without having to eat again.

I'm also eating full fat Greek yogurt like it's going out of style. That *really* helps my nausea go away.
A friend gave me some herbs she bought that also help. It's a tincture I put under my tongue, or in a little water. I can find the brand if you're interested in ordering them. It's been helping me some. But nothing is making it just stop forever, which is what I wish would happen.

Hth. If nothing else, know that I'm over in this little corner of the internet commiserating with you. :hugheart

ShepherdsWife
05-12-2014, 06:40 PM
This weekend, I started throwing up more and more and barely getting enough in me to stay out of the emergency room and had lost five pounds over a few days. By last night I was just dry wrenching with a tablespoon or two of something occasionally. The same today. I had an acupuncturist appointment so I went...not sure how I got there, but I did. It seemed to help a tiny bit, but then I went and picked up the zophran I had called for. I decided to take the zophran because at the rate I've been going I figured I might keep myself out of the emergency room for a few more days or a weeks at most. They told me that zophran doesn't always work and I might need phenegran(sp?). I am started on 16mg a day. I took the first one and I do feel a little better though the nausea hasn't gone. I have gotten down peppermint tea and a little food without vomiting so far so that's good. The nurse said to give it a few doses before I decided whether it was going to work or not. I usually get super bad at night and always throw up a bunch around 8 or 9 so I will see here in a few hours.

To let those interested know, the acupuncturist said that women with ms should stay completely away from gluten so I am going to try that. He also suggested peppermint tea which actually was something I hadn't thought of and could drink. The only thing in fact I have found that I can drink without gagging right now.

I also tripled my dosage of B6 today to 60mg a day. I was at 10mg before which I thought was good, but after some reading I found the recommendation was much, much higher.

I just really at this point want to go back to being a mom and really present with DS. He is really acting out my "absence" and I am tired of telling him to not touch or wiggle or mommy might throw up on him. Since I weaned him too he wants me to play more and hold him more and I just feel like the double whammy of weaning and my being sick is too much.

---------- Post added at 07:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:44 PM ----------

I'm right here with you. It's so miserable. I can't wait for it to be over.

Not much is helping me, but here is what I'm doing:

Taking ginger pills (because I hate the taste of ginger)

Taking 3 different homeopathies. Nux Vomica (for vomiting), sepia (works the best for me), and Mag Phos (helps your body absorb magnesium)

Taking magnesium every night, if I'm able to swallow the pills without gagging

Eating high fat and protein. Mostly the fat curbs the nausea for me. In the mornings I make a smoothie with 2 raw egg yolks, 2 tablespoons of coconut oil, 1.5 cups raw milk, 2-3 tablespoons of maple syrup, and any frozen fruit I feel like. Sometimes bananas, sometimes strawberries or rhubarb. That really helps, and I can go a couple hours sometimes without having to eat again.

I'm also eating full fat Greek yogurt like it's going out of style. That *really* helps my nausea go away.
A friend gave me some herbs she bought that also help. It's a tincture I put under my tongue, or in a little water. I can find the brand if you're interested in ordering them. It's been helping me some. But nothing is making it just stop forever, which is what I wish would happen.

Hth. If nothing else, know that I'm over in this little corner of the internet commiserating with you. :hugheart

Thanks for all the tips and kind thoughts. I am going to try some of your tips. I hope to take enough meds to just get back hydrated and such and then try to go without doing a better natural routine and see if I can. Then I can take them if I have to and only if I have to. I would be interested in what herb your friend gave you. I hope you get better soon too. :hug2

HadassahSukkot
05-13-2014, 05:58 AM
If you need to do the phenergan, make sure you have back-up. Depending how your body processes, it could knock you flat for a while. :hugheart

homesteadmama
05-13-2014, 07:10 AM
Ok, the herb I'm taking is from Mountain Meadow Herbs, and it's called "Stomach Aid". I bought it online from Abe's Market. Hth!

ShepherdsWife
05-13-2014, 09:41 AM
Thanks for the heads up on the phenergan. I am getting it today. After taking my second dose of zophran I got worse than even I've normally been and had a terrible night. It definitely didn't do anything positive. So.....We'll see from here. I think I'm finally just starting to see this is going to be something I am going to have to deal with a while.

ShepherdsWife
05-14-2014, 02:39 PM
Update:
So, I don't think I realized how bad I had gotten until yesterday when I couldn't get out of bed and walk hardly across a room without vomiting and hitting the floor. I tried to drive to the store to get the phenergan and couldn't make it over two miles before I had to call DH. I started it last night and am having to take it every 4 hours. I'm still nauseas and can hardly get out of bed, but with it I can drink and eat tiny amounts if I stay in bed very still and don't move too much. I am trying to rehydrate myself other wise when DH gets home I am going to have to go get an IV for sure. The phenergan does make me horribly tired. I am hoping as I rehydrate I will get better and better so I can move around a little more. Yesterday, and this morning were really scary. I know since I've found out I've been pregnant, every day has been worse than the last. DH was sure I was headed for the hospital today. I was so determined to force myself to drink that I think that's the only reason I didn't before now. What I kept down has kept me on the edge a little longer. Hopefully I can pull out of the worse of this without having to now that I can actually drink and eat little bits. . Thanks for the prayers.

Dtswife
05-14-2014, 04:54 PM
I have heard unisom or benedryl help, and that they are safe. I just had run of the mill morning sickness though, so I never tried them.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk

ShepherdsWife
05-14-2014, 07:04 PM
Thanks. I will keep that in mind especially if I am still stuck in bed tomorrow. The phenergan at least let's me eat and drink if I stay still, but I really want to be able to get out of bed and do stuff too. Maybe after a couple days with phenergan I can. I will ask about unison or benedryl if I don't move past where I am now.

Sent from my QMV7A using Tapatalk

amydawn
05-14-2014, 07:16 PM
Ask your doctor about Diclegis (assuming you're in the US). It's a drug designed for nausea and vomiting in pregnancy. It's basically Unisom and B6 in a time release tablet. It was a godsend during my 3 pregnancies, especially with DD.

staceylayne
05-14-2014, 07:39 PM
Sounds like quite a bit more than "morning sickness". :( You have my sympathy. Sincerely. Being that sick is really, truly awful.

I found that to get any benefit from Zofran I had to have it on my system at all times. I was setting alarms to take that stuff like clockwork. For *me* it lessened the vomiting, but I didn't actually feel much better. But at least I wasn't hugging the toilet ALL day though. The phenegren wiped me out so much I couldn't keep taking it.

Everyone is different though.

My guess is you won't find a magic pill or combo that makes you feel normal. I hope you find something that helps you to be more functional and less miserable. :hug I highly, highly suggest reaching out for help from friends and family. Having someone watch kids, bring food, pick up toilet paper and yogurt or clean a little while you are so sick is priceless.

If I end up pregnant again I will beg my friends to organize a meal calendar for me during the first half of pregnancy instead of for the postpartum days. I am *so* much more functional a week after having a baby than I am for the first 20 or so weeks. :(

Praying for you!

ShepherdsWife
05-14-2014, 08:32 PM
Thanks. The zophran flat doesn't help at all, period. The day I tried it I was worse than without it. The phenegran only works if I take it exactly every 4 hours but if I get up out of bed(1/2 hour ago I changed a diaper) I throw up. I literally can't move. It is definitely not just ms but hg for sure now. I just didn't realize how bad I was. I thought hg would put me in the hospital in like two days. It took 1 1/2 weeks for me.
I definitely am having to have help around the house. My aunt and mil are helping out. The phenergan keeps me from being able to stay awake is the scary part. I can't have my ds unattended after I take a pill. I am just out of it for 1-2 hours and then can stay awake for a couple. A lot of things can happen in 2 hours.

Thanks for all the prayers and advice. It is nice to have a place to "chat" about this since I am completely confined now to a bed.

staceylayne
05-14-2014, 09:36 PM
So, so glad you have some help! :hug

The days are long, but you'll make it through. :yes Don't hesitate to get to the hospital if needed. My family dr and the midwives at my birthing center were available to give me IV hydration...not sure if you have an option like that. I was happy to have options other than the ER.

Sounds like you are staying fairly positive so far. :tu Feel free to vent/whine/process here as much as needed. I whined quite a bit. :shifty

Of course my baby is only two weeks old and I'm already thinking "oh, how I love sweet, squishy newborn babies! Maybe it wasn't *that* bad?"

But yes, yes it was pretty bad.

(And she is so worth it. :heart)

ShepherdsWife
05-15-2014, 08:22 AM
I was wondering ladies if after some time on meds you were able to get up and move and function. Its almost been two days on meds and while nausea is almost gone when laying in bed, if I get up at all I throw up with in a couple minutes or less. I can't make it to get a glass of ginger ale with out stopping at a "vomit station" along the way. :-/ And it isn't far, our house is tiny. I guess I want to know what to expect. :scratch I am trying so hard not to get depressed but I feel like I can handle it so much better if I have a more realistic understanding of my situation. In was hoping to have done better than this with meds. :( Thanks.

SouthPaw
05-15-2014, 08:34 AM
I'm so sorry mama :( Yours sounds worse than mine. On 3x/day 8mg Zofran, B6, and eating every 2 hours, I became somewhat functional as long as I was not too active (running or lifting things or any exertion made me nauseous). I was not completely bedridden though and could putter about the house or walk normally.

I don't know what else to say :hug2

Rivendell Raven
05-15-2014, 08:43 AM
:hug2

Sorry that you are still feeling so sick! The meds worked for me with in a couple of days as long as they were disolvable since it worked its way in quickly and couldnt be thrown up like a traditional pill. It sounds like motion sickness is added on top of morning sickness. Unfortunately out of the only other people I know of who had it that bad, one had had to have a zofran IV in place to dose it herself throughout the day.

The other I'll put in as a spoiler since I'm not sure about discussing it on board. I apologize in advance and please feel free to moderate/delete if necessary.

the other ended up using some type of cannibus oil and swore by it since the morning sickness was not a problem for her after a week of using it.

HadassahSukkot
05-15-2014, 03:37 PM
Do you think it could be HG (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperemesis_gravidarum) instead of morning sickness?

http://www.helpher.org/hyperemesis-gravidarum/

If you do, please contact your OB/GYN.

You asked about daily life and getting up and down? no. There really wasn't a daily life there for almost two years.

ShepherdsWife
05-15-2014, 05:10 PM
I am going to tall to my doctor again but it didn't sound like he could do much more for me, other than an IV. I might not have really been honest about how bad it was though. I do tend to hate going to docs so I have found myself saying things like "I will prob be fine" or "it would be worse" which gives the wrong impression. Since I started this thread, I got progressively worse. With how nauseas and how much vomiting I am still doing with the meds, I am certain that I would be in the hospital without them. The nurse said as long as the meds help me keep down enough liquid and food then that's all they can do. I really don't want to go into the ER. I had stomach flu bad once that wasnt as bad as this and ended up with an IV so I know I probably should have gone in, but I have a 21 month old and don't have a vehicle every day right now. I think I am slowly rehydrating too with meds, but it is slow for sure.

---------- Post added at 06:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:02 PM ----------

Oh, yeah. I really wasn't familiar with HG so I went and did some reading on it. I would bet a million bucks that that is what it is. I guess I just thought that it was way more extreme than it even is. The only hg story I really knew was a friends daughter who couldnt leave the hospital for months. Now i realize she really was extreme by all standards even for HG. So, I kept thinking that I wasn't that bad so I must not have it. I am someone who keeps pushing until I can't get up and then realize that maybe I am sicker than I wanted to admit...took a few days to come to that admittance point. Besides, if I didn't admit it I would get better right? Well,..... I tried. :/

squiddles
05-15-2014, 05:39 PM
yes, I would say, based on what you describe you definitely have HG :hugheart
which you seem to already realize...
for me, there were good days and there were bad days... sometimes I couldn't get out of bed all day for days, except to wipe the kids' bottoms, and getting out of bed triggered unstoppable puking... and then there were good days, when I was able to even get in the car and run errands (feeling weak, nauseated, and always keeping gallon ziploc bags in my pocket). Keep in mind, this was while being constantly medicated...

I also found that if I drank less than 4 cups of liquid in a day then I was CONSIDERABLY worse the following day... my goal (to feel functional) was 6-8 cups of liquid (kombucha, coconut water and apple juice were my liquids of choice). So, that meant lots of little sips all day. Because when you're sick, that's a lot of liquid... but it's really necessary!! If you aren't able to drink that much right now (and keep it down!) I really do suggest getting IV rehydrated to jump-start your hydration, if it does help you feel a tad bit better, it will be easier to stay hydrated after that (hopefully!!)

ShepherdsWife
05-17-2014, 09:01 AM
Hi! I ended up in the ER yesterday really dehydrated and vomiting everything up. They started me on reglan(sp?) also though it is hard to tell how much everything has helped because even with the meds I have gotten worse though I am sure without them it would be horrific.
I was hoping the doctor would be a bit more encouragingly, but he just said that he thinks I will probably end up on an IV every few days for the next 5-7 weeks for sure. *sigh* so for now, just gotta soldier on and remember this too shall pass and try to not think about how much longer this will be.
Hope you all have a lovely weekend.

Dtswife
05-17-2014, 11:30 AM
Oh blah. I am so sorry

---------- Post added at 01:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:42 AM ----------

This article from Birth Without Fear came up in my FaceBook feed today after I read your last post: http://birthwithoutfearblog.com/2012/12/21/hyperemesis-gravidarum-a-more-than-morning-sickness2/

Maybe some of the links she provided will be of use to you.

Rivendell Raven
05-17-2014, 07:20 PM
:-( I'll be praying for you!

staceylayne
05-17-2014, 08:10 PM
I don't think I was even as bad off as you seem to be. But from my experience it so, SO very difficult to be so terribly sick, day after day after day for months at a time.

It does eventually come to an end. :hug But I do not envy the difficult days you have in front of you. :pray4

Is your DH able to keep up with the needs of the sheep without you? Or is there someone around to help?

Rest up, take your meds and get to the dr post haste if you need IV. It will be worth it in the end. :hug :hug :hug

homesteadmama
05-17-2014, 10:02 PM
Oh, wow. :hugheart

This is intense!! You are experiencing it on a level I have no experience with. I'm so sorry! Praying that it subsides soon!

ShepherdsWife
05-25-2014, 08:57 PM
Hello ladies. I finally have felt good enough to give an update and thank you for all the thoughts and prayers. I seem to be able to finally function decently as long as I don't skip any meds and take 2-3 one hour naps in the day if I can. I tried skipping pills last week because I was finding it too hard to stay awake and watch my ds(I accidentally fell asleep watching him one day for like 20 minutes), but that put me back in bed for two days again with MIL watching him ALL day instead of just a little bit so it definitely wasn't worth it. All in all, I am just trying to be grateful that I can manage to function even in a zombie-like status with some food and liquid inside me and remember it will pass eventually. I am going to talk to my doctor about any less-sleepy alternative, but I am kinda reluctant to switch things up too much since I finally have found something that is working and keeping me from ending up ER bound every two days. My ILs have really been super helpful. MIL was this bad I guess with her first so she has understood. Poor DH feels awful and finally seems to have gotten over that getting me pregnant was something of a bad thing. He felt so responsible for making me sick, poor guy. The lambing season ended up running the last part slower than before which was helpful though it has been harder on everyone without me our there. We have been abler o find a person to work little parts of the day picking up a little slack which has helped DH. He has definitely been overworked without my involvement, but there hasn't been much I could do about it and all the guys working for us have been great. Some of their wives, sisters, etc back in their countries have been super sick so they are fairly understanding. My ds is really haven't the hardest time of it. His mommy just isn't quite what he wants her to be though I am really trying. At least we get to nap together now :)
I really appreciate all the comments, advice, and help. I was so terribly overwhelmed and confused at what was going on when this began. It helps to know I am not the only one who has what everyone else seems to think as abnormal ms. I hope you all have a wonderful weekend and enjoy time with your families!

Rivendell Raven
05-25-2014, 11:36 PM
I'm so happy for you and I hope it continues to get better!

Dtswife
05-26-2014, 05:32 AM
Praise God! That's awesome!

homesteadmama
05-26-2014, 06:35 AM
I have thought of you often as I'm feeling miserable, and have thought how you have it so much worse. It is so hard for me, I can't imagine trying to function when you are not able to hold things down at all, or are ending up dehydrated and in the ER. I'm so glad your MIL has been able to help. :tu And I'm so glad you are feeling slightly better.

Praying you're back to normal soon. How many weeks are you?

ShepherdsWife
05-27-2014, 05:43 PM
I am eight weeks. I am huge though all of a sudden this past week. I have been bloated all along but now it is more than that... My belly is already almost as big as it was when I was 18-20 weeks with ds! I have lost weight everywhere and my clothes are loose but I had to break out maternity wear yesterday because of the belly. My dh is concerned that something is wrong, and all my family and friends think I have more than one baby. I go for my first routine check-up tomorrow. I am feeling better for sure the past two days and have actually eaten a meal!

I am really thinking of you. It can be so miserable being nauseas all the time even if you don't throw up. I hope you get better soon too! I just keep telling myself, "this will all pass, it's not forever".