PDA

View Full Version : sore throat, not strep

esperanza
05-04-2014, 04:01 AM
Dh has had a bad sore throat for a week now. It is not getting any better and is causing him a lot of discomfort. He went to the doctor on Thursday. Not strep, probably just a virus going around. He's taking ibuprofen for the pain, but it is clearly really bothering him. He's taking about going to urgent care today. At what point do you go back in? Anything else he can be doing? He's taking vitamin c and zinc and using throat lozenges, but honestly this seems beyond the regular common cold sore throat. Don't think it's mono (please Lord don't let it be mono!!).

mamacat
05-04-2014, 04:23 AM
gargling a lot of times in a row with diluted ACV (1 tsp in cup water) can help

Mother of Sons
05-04-2014, 06:42 AM
We has the same thing happening here. Dh and I had sore throats for over a week and then it went away and came back with a vengeance and the kids have it too. No idea what it is but what a pain! I've heard gargling salt water helps but I haven't tried it yet.

esperanza
05-04-2014, 06:44 AM
Yeah, it is not fun at all. I don't remember ever having a sore throat for that long, and he seems to be pretty miserable. The pain comes back as soon as the meds wear off. It seems like it's probably just a really bad virus, but it is no fun at all when you aren't seeing any improvement. And it doesn't help that ds is not sleeping well at all, so I'm totally exhausted but not getting any help due to this. :(

allisonintx
05-04-2014, 08:09 AM
The flu type thing I had this year included a nasty, long lasting, sore throat. For three of the days, I piggy backed Tylenol and Ibuprofen. Gargling with cinnamon mouth wash helped most though.