PDA

View Full Version : Any reason to wait on peanut butter?

kiloyd
05-01-2014, 04:07 PM
I remember at some point reading to wait to give peanut butter until 2 years.

I didn't wait quite that long with the others, but almost.

Jason is 15 months. Is there any reason to wait if we have no history of food allergies?

ValiantJoy07
05-01-2014, 04:20 PM
I didn't with mine... maybe 15-18mos with dd3. :think before that with the others

I am allergic to peanuts and nuts though-developed a bad allergy in the last year. My kids still seem fine... they were fine. :nails

Go with your gut?

Katigre
05-01-2014, 04:53 PM
No, there is no longer a recommendation to wait on nuts or other allergenic foods past 6ish months old. All of mine had pb and other nuts before they were a year.

http://www.webmd.com/parenting/baby/baby-food-nutrition-9/starting-solid-food?page=5

Kiara.I
05-01-2014, 04:56 PM
Locally, the recommendation is 6 months. I waited until 8, I think, because I was occupied offering bananas and lamb stew, not toast and peanut butter.

But at 15 months? Go for it!

MaybeGracie
05-01-2014, 04:56 PM
I've read one year, not two, but my second and third kids didn't even make it to one year. Then again, there have also been studies that find that if you introduce allergenic foods early, it may actually prevent food allergy, so really, who knows.

kiloyd
05-01-2014, 07:23 PM
I eat natural PB every day. I love it!

I'll probably wait a bit longer but doubt I'll make it to age 2.

He doesn't always want what I am eating, but getting to the point that he does.

believer
05-01-2014, 07:27 PM
From what I have read, the peanut allergy may be related to all the soy that is in processed foods - the soy lecithin and soy oil and all the soy that is mostly gmo in processed foods. I think you should try to avoid processed foods with soy, and when you do introduce peanut butter try to use all natural - the ones that are just peanuts or peanuts and salt - no added sugar or other oils and if you can, the organic is supposed to be better (but we can't afford that - we just use the ones that are just peanuts and salt) - you have to read the ingredients.

kiloyd
05-02-2014, 08:13 PM
From what I have read, the peanut allergy may be related to all the soy that is in processed foods - the soy lecithin and soy oil and all the soy that is mostly gmo in processed foods. I think you should try to avoid processed foods with soy, and when you do introduce peanut butter try to use all natural - the ones that are just peanuts or peanuts and salt - no added sugar or other oils and if you can, the organic is supposed to be better (but we can't afford that - we just use the ones that are just peanuts and salt) - you have to read the ingredients.

:D I only buy natural PB. And I try and buy very little processed food.

sweetpeasmommy
05-02-2014, 09:29 PM
Crazy story. Our ped told us to wait til 4. He is allergic to all other nuts which were also not introduced til 4 and a ton of other foods. Not peanuts, but this give him wicked gastro symptoms so they aren't worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MercyInDisguise
05-03-2014, 07:53 AM
We waited until 3 with C, since dh's sister has anaphylactic reactions to peanuts. I'm not sure what we'll do this time around. The research has been confusing to me, ans seems to recommend introduction earlier now, but I also don't want to risk a bad reaction in a baby either.

kiloyd
05-03-2014, 03:23 PM
Those that have food allergies, do they tend to have a family history of it?