PDA

View Full Version : Causes for excessive thirst in toddler?

NeshamaMama
05-01-2014, 09:45 AM
For as long as I can remember my nearly 2 y/o has always drank (drunk? Drinken? :shifty) a lot of water, she always seems to be thirsty. She also nurses fairly frequently, so I know she's not dehydrated. My DH commented on it after she woke several times per night asking for water recently so I started paying more attention and it really does seem like a lot. She will easily drink 8-12 oz water and then ask for more a few minutes later. Anytime she sees me having a drink she asks for a sip and then drinks the whole glass. Like I mentioned, she wakes asking for water at night. The first thing she asks for in the morning (this is after nursing) is a cup of water. What could be some causes of persistent excessive thirst in a toddler? Does what I'm describing sound within a range of normal, or definitely out of the ordinary?

deena
05-01-2014, 09:48 AM
Could be diabetes. But obviously, I hope not.

Sparrow
05-01-2014, 09:53 AM
I'd look into that, just to be sure.

NeshamaMama
05-01-2014, 10:04 AM
Would there really be no other symptoms with diabetes in a 2-year-old? How would I go about checking into that?

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

cbmk4
05-01-2014, 10:12 AM
Might be just her preference, but it deserves a looking into, not just for diabetes mellitus but also for diabetes insipidus. A visit to her doctor to discuss your concerns would be the first step I would recommend.

NeshamaMama
05-01-2014, 10:40 AM
Thanks cbmk4, I just sent an email to her doctor to get her thoughts. (She's not in the office every day and that's our primary method of communication.)

mamaKristin
05-01-2014, 01:23 PM
sniff her breath. If it smells fruity at all, get her seen by a doc ASAP.

Apparently, when my DD went into the urgent care clinic, they could all smell it on her...I thought it was our handsoap :bag

BearyBlessed
05-01-2014, 02:25 PM
Aji had no other real symptoms at diagnosis. He drank 72oz of water in one day. :jawdrop He also had energy like normal. and a blood sugar level of 591 (37). :doh

I hope your doctor gets back to you quickly! :pray4

NeshamaMama
05-01-2014, 04:09 PM
So it turns out our doctor is away until the 5th. If diabetes was something she recommended testing for, what would that entail, a blood test? Tomorrow I'm thinking about keeping a glass of water constantly filled at her level and recording how much she chooses to drink if it's constantly available to her.

BlessedBlue
05-01-2014, 04:56 PM
FWIW, my DD drank TONS of water as a toddler and young explorer. She NEEDED it, and COLD ICE WATER at night.

Turns out it was a stim for her ADHD. Now that we're treating the ADHD appropriately, she drinks a normal amount of water.

Sparrow
05-01-2014, 05:59 PM
There's a type 1 diabetes support thread for mamas with kids who have it. Maybe they can answer some concerns?

NeshamaMama
05-01-2014, 06:21 PM
Thanks Sparrow! Just posted there too.

deena
05-02-2014, 05:28 AM
FWIW, my DD drank TONS of water as a toddler and young explorer. She NEEDED it, and COLD ICE WATER at night.

Turns out it was a stim for her ADHD. Now that we're treating the ADHD appropriately, she drinks a normal amount of water.

Fascinating! Thanks for sharing!

deena
06-02-2014, 10:18 AM
Any update Emili?

BearyBlessed
06-04-2014, 08:43 PM
Yes, I've been thinking of you. :heart

NeshamaMama
06-05-2014, 07:21 AM
I forgot I never updated here, sorry! I ended up testing her blood sugar, which was normal, and have otherwise just been keeping an eye on it. She still does ask for water frequently but I also realized that my milk is pretty much completely dried up from pregnancy :doh that is probably involved since she was used to getting a lot of her fluids from breast milk. My concern has been alleviated for the moment, unless something changes. :)