PDA

View Full Version : Persistent mild sore throat - allergies? natural fixes?

jandjmommy
04-21-2014, 06:29 AM
DS10 has had a sore throat for about 2 weeks - no other symptoms and he doesn't feel sick. We live in Phoenix so it's super dry and I'm wondering if it might just be allergies; we did just move here 3 months ago so we haven't been through spring yet (if you can call it that here!) He never had allergy issues in CA; diet is the same as always.
We're running the humidifier at night (it's warm mist but I can get a cool mist if that would be better) and we're not running the ceiling fan, but we are running the air conditioner.
Is there an essential oil that I could put in the humidifier that would help?
He also hates the vitamin c chewables we have on hand (Trader Joe's and NOW) - what is a good high potency vit c chewable (or small pill to swallow) that you like?
He hates the taste of honey, but he does like hot tea; he drinks it every morning and it soothes his throat but he still asks for ibuprofen about twice a day (400mg; he is 102lbs). He is pretty tough and is worried about his liver (oops-I give too much info on medicine I think) so he doesn't ask for it as often as he probably wants it.
I started giving him Claritin 2 days ago - does it take several days to start working?
I would hate to take him to the doctor to learn that he does indeed just have allergies (and spend $100+ for that diagnosis) but I don't know if there's something else awful he could have (strep?) that I'm missing.
Any natural allergy/sore throat soothing ideas?

HomeyT
04-21-2014, 02:44 PM
If it is a virus, then zinc lozenges work great. You can even cut them up and suck on small pieces constantly. Hope you find a solution ASAP!

jandjmommy
04-21-2014, 10:27 PM
If it is a virus, then zinc lozenges work great. You can even cut them up and suck on small pieces constantly. Hope you find a solution ASAP!

Thanks! He's the size of a small adult - would 1 lozenge cut up as you suggest and taken over the course of a day help avoid stomach upset?

HomeyT
04-22-2014, 04:52 AM
The package should say how many not to exceed per day. Then cut them into 4. He'll have quite a few to suck on throughout the day.

Indigo
04-22-2014, 07:51 AM
We deal w/this often too, and for us it is allergies. My kids take the generic Zyrtec (about half the price as name brand). We also use honey as needed, sleep w/extra pillows (elevating the heads seems to help w/the post-nasal drip), and avoid dairy (dairy for us increases mucus). HTH and hope your son feels better soon.

HuggaBuggaMommy
04-22-2014, 07:58 AM
For ds1 it's allergies, too. :yes

believer
04-22-2014, 09:50 AM
Cut out all milk products. See if that helps.
Ds had seasonal allergies and constant sore throat, and when we cut out all milk and milk products, it was totally gone quickly.

librarianjojo
04-23-2014, 06:57 AM
Sounds like my allergy throat. :yuck I hate it too. A Zyrtec before bed helps. Also, check where the air conditioner vent is blowing air. Just a little bit of air blowing at my face is enough to dry me out and make me feel worse. Finally, if you are running a humidifier, make sure you clean it A LOT. Otherwise you may be making things worse by shooting tiny little allergy causing mold spores all over the place.