PDA

View Full Version : Sun screen...

Living My Dream
04-15-2014, 06:26 AM
Search isn't working for me hence starting a post. I'm sure its been long debated.

Yes or no to using sun screen, arguments either way please.

mommylove
04-15-2014, 06:56 AM
Here's a discussion (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=199479) from the past to get you started. :)

Living My Dream
04-15-2014, 07:08 AM
Thank you! id hoped someone with working search function would do that. :)

mommylove
04-15-2014, 07:14 AM
For the face, I use this Naked Bee stick (http://sensia.com/products/naked-bee-orange-blossom-honey-vitamin-c-spf-30-sun-block-stick.html) & it works really well for us.

twoplustwo
04-15-2014, 07:15 AM
Yes, we absolutely do. But my mom has skin cancer & she has had it removed and skin grafted. We also live at a neighboorhood pool in the summer & my kids are on a swim team which practices & has meets outdoors in the summer.

We do try to be careful about what we use - currently, I like the neutragena one. And try to cover up so less skin needs it. Though last year my son was complaining about wearing his rash guard. He sees it as a thing babies/toddlers do & not bigger kids. I am sure that will be an issue again this year.

Thanks for the link, I look forward to trying some products mentioned in that old thread.

Auroras mom
04-15-2014, 08:01 AM
We like Badger. We live in FL, and if we didn't use sunscreen, we would be fried. We do allow ourselves to tan a bit, but are too fair to spend hours on the beach or at a springs w/o sunscreen. DD wears a rash guard most of the time, which helps minimize what must be covered in sunscreen.

Living My Dream
04-15-2014, 09:43 AM
The problem j have is that I don't know the UK equivalents of the products mentioned and most forums based in the uk that I've found have no issues with chemical products. :-/

Earthmummy07
04-15-2014, 12:14 PM
The easiest available low/no chemical sunscreen in the UK is probably this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/Green-People-Organic-Children-Lotion/dp/B0013G8JYY/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1397588779&sr=8-3&keywords=green+people+sun+cream There is a lavender version too. Waitrose sells it, as do some of the giant Tescos. This is the one we use. The price varies from £9 on Amazon if you catch it at the right time to £15ish some places.

Holland and Barrett have some low chem sun screens. Usually the Jasons ones, I've never tried them so can't speak for them.

Badger and Lavera brands are also available over here, but usually only online. Amazon sells a variety, www.littleacornstomightyoaks.co.uk sells the badger one I think, which is owned by a friend of a friend.

We use it sparingly. Usually we use it if we're out during the hottest part of the day. In a heatwave we'll use it earlier, but otherwise it goes on about 10ish or when it starts hotting up. If we're going to be out in it all day then we use longsleeves so we don't have to remember to keep applying.

milkmommy
04-15-2014, 04:30 PM
I live in the sunniest place on Earth (*really I do) I have fair skin kids. DH has already been treated for skin cancer and we have a longer history of it..
We kids wear rash guards we eat foods good in Omega 3 green teas lycopene rich tomatoes and consume plenty of vitamin C and drink lots of water and reduce omega 6 etc.... However yes we do use sunscreen.

zak
04-15-2014, 04:48 PM
We like Bagder. We live in FL, and if we didn't use sunscreen, we would be friend. We do allow ourselves to tan a bit, but are too fair to spend hours on the beach or at a springs w/o sunscreen. DD wears a rash guard most of the time, which helps minimize what must be covered in sunscreen.

This. Exactly. Except GA vs FL (tho I go "home" to FL several times a year ;) )

Living My Dream
04-16-2014, 12:22 AM
Thanks for all that info. What do you do for yourselves?

I found an app for searching chemicals in products but t was all American products. I wish we had similar here. (or is there a giant list of all the chems we should avoid and why anywhere that I can take to the shop and stand for ages reading all the silly long names!)

princesspoet
04-16-2014, 12:50 AM
Everyone in our family including Mrs Africa over here uses our son's Jason & Green people ( we never finish a tube in a summer)

DancingWithElves
04-18-2014, 04:09 PM
ideally, no one would use sunscreen. but since we have people of Norwegian and Finnish and Siberian and Irish and Danish heritage living in tropical areas, something's gotta give ;)

so, here are my pointers:

1. before sunscreen, clothing and hats.
2. before sunscreen, a diet full of antioxidants, and healthy fats. a diet extremely low in PUFA. (i can personally testify to the extreme effectiveness of increasing your antioxidant intake. i am very very fair, but hardly burn anymore :tu )
3. before sunscreen, carefully chosen time of day and activities.
4. now, on to sunscreen :) i highly recommend that you go to EWG's website and read up :glasses :yes you will not only learn what brands and types to look for what which to avoid, but also the ingredients to avoid, so you can have that knowledge with you at all times.
5. remember: if it oxidizes easily under the sun's rays, it is harmful for your skin. so that sunflower seed oil can be organic, biodynamic, watered with unicorn tears, and pressed by the tender hands of baby sloths, it will become rancid and do you no favors :no while many tropical oils, such as coconut oil, are much more useful.
6. beware of essential oils added. now this should be a duh moment for manufacturers, but how do the oils that increase photo-sensitivity make their way into sunscreen? :doh
7. http://www.ewg.org/2013sunscreen/the-problem-with-vitamin-a/ beware of vitamin A

And finally, remember that once your skin *barely* just begins to turn a hint of pink, it had reached its vit D-making capacity. From then on, nothing but damage is being done. Know your limits :) If you are a half Dutch half Finnish and live in Florida, ya know, do what you have to do ;) If you have darker skin and live in WI, and notice that you never burn--consider getting all the Vit D you can, while saving yourself of sticky trouble of applying expensive high quality sunscreen.

staceylayne
04-18-2014, 04:15 PM
So if I haven't had a sunburn in years, I'm cool to ignore sunscreen for the most part? I usually don't apply except to my shoulders and face if out for an extended time in the heat of the day.

My kids are a different story (that what I get for marrying such a fair-skinned blondie). But even they seem to be fine bare-skinned in morning and evening hours.

sunflowermom
04-18-2014, 08:02 PM
Thanks for the info. I've been wondering about this myself. :yes

JoyGal
04-18-2014, 08:12 PM
Thank you for starting this! I've been thinking of what to buy this year :)

homesteadmama
04-19-2014, 07:18 PM
Staceylane, IMO, if I were you, I wouldn't wear sunscreen, unless I was going to be out for hours upon hours, and anticipated a burn. Maximize your vitamin D when you can! It actually *helps* your body fight cancer. When we use sunscreen, we block our body's ability to do that.