PDA

View Full Version : Advice on 1st steps to Natural Health

sunflowermom
04-04-2014, 12:56 PM
Hi ladies!

I'm interested in taking steps towards natural health. Through several different avenues of my life (friends, family, GCM) I'm thinking I would like to try things like essential oils, making my own laundry soap, etc.

I can't spend a whole lot at once, so I'm thinking I'd like to start in baby steps. I'm wondering what your recommendations are on where to start? I'm totally new to this world as I've mostly only been exposed to "mainstream" cleaning and health until recently.

Thanks in advance! :heart

HomeWithMyBabies
04-04-2014, 01:15 PM
Vinegar is a good cleaner, paired with baking soda it's an easy and inexpensive place to start.

Virginia
04-04-2014, 02:28 PM
I'm kind of right there with you!
My New Year's Resolution was to use only natural cleaning supplies. On Dec. 31, I got rid of all our Clorox wipes and bleach and so forth and have been using homemade cleaners (vinegar, lemon juice, and water is a good one). I found a ton of great recipes on Pinterest and have just been playing around.

I haven't done laundry soap yet, but it's on my list.

Essential oils: start small and with just a couple. Again, I've found a ton of great info on Pinterest (and here, of course). I only own three EOs right now and used them to make a cleaner and a "poo pourri" spray for going number two ;) However, I plan to use the peppermint oil to easy headaches!

:cup for more ideas.

HomeyT
04-04-2014, 02:34 PM
Peppermint lavender and lemon are great oils to start with.
I ditto the vinegar and baking soda....I clean the whole bathroom with these. As well as many other messes!

L-Boogie
04-05-2014, 07:18 PM
Vinegar and newspaper for cleaning windows
Baking soda mixed with a little water for cleaning sinks and tubs
I use a wet washcloth on my bathroom mirror and it looks just fine :)
I've never tried msking my own cleaners. aside from soaking citrus peels in vinegar for wiping counters. I use Costco's environmentally friendly dish soap and laundry detergent.

Soliloquy
04-05-2014, 11:57 PM
Household cleaners are one of the biggest contributors to toxin load. I'd also start there.

I make an all-purpose cleaner by mixing 1 part white vinegar, 4 parts water, 20 drops lemon EO, and sometimes a dash of natural dish liquid.

I clean windows, bathrooms, tables, counters, etc with it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Virginia
04-06-2014, 01:36 PM
I just cleaned my entire house Friday and yesterday with NO chemical cleaners :woohoo

I really want to revamp my eating habits over my spring break...I already try to buy all organic produce and only free range, antibiotic free, blah blah blah chicken/eggs/beef :think

L-Boogie
04-07-2014, 12:58 PM
I just cleaned my entire house Friday and yesterday with NO chemical cleaners :woohoo

I really want to revamp my eating habits over my spring break...I already try to buy all organic produce and only free range, antibiotic free, blah blah blah chicken/eggs/beef :think

To the first part - :cheer feels good, huh?

And the second, what things would you like to revamp? I've been thinking about this lately too.

BriansLovie
04-07-2014, 02:03 PM
It's awesome not to have chemical smell in the house :rockon. I only use vinegar, eo's, baking soda dr bronners for cleaning.

I used to make my own laundry soap but it didn't clean my clothes or cloth diapers well. I use planet liquid detergent for laundry. I wash dishes with dr bronners mixed with water and I use a dishwasher detergent made of Epsom salt, borax and washing soda.

Virginia
04-13-2014, 01:44 PM
L-boogie, I think I just want to try to stay away from processed foods and to make more of my own foods :yes

I think that will be a good start for me. Make my own Lara bars instead of buying them. Make homemade soups instead of buying them, even though I purchase organic ones. Stop snacking on chips and start snacking on veggies or nuts or something :think

KLin
04-14-2014, 09:06 PM
I made my own laundry soap for a few years. I grated dr. broners baby soap with borax and baking soda. Sometimes I added oxyclean (my neighbor gave me a big box).

I had wrist pain when I grated stuff, and this was before I knew I needed wrist surgery. So, I stopped. Now I get my laundry soap at Sam's club. ;)

I make vinegar with orange peels and grapefruit peels for cleaning my house. Smells great!