PDA

View Full Version : Eating after puking...

Ramee151
03-31-2014, 06:16 AM
We had our first major "puke-ma-geddon" last night. :sick DD is 19 months.

I know BRAT diet is good for post-puke food--but it seems like it could be really constipating. :scratch

Is this something need to be concerned about?
If so, what are ways to manage/mitigate it?

greengirl19
03-31-2014, 06:29 AM
I think BRAT is becoming outdated :shrug3. Is the puking over? Is she still nursing? I can't find the article but the protocol we've been following is nothing for 3 hours to give the tummy a chance to rest and recup. Then an hour of sips of water to see if they stay down and prevent dehydration. Then water with probiotics or in a little bit of applesauce or coconut water. Then follow they're lead as far as foods both in what they feel like eating and how much/often. Broth is also very nourishing.

mamacat
03-31-2014, 06:39 AM
echoing what greengirl said - we do exactly that - nursing and or coconut water,applesauce, broth.I wouldnt worry about the constipation issue.My older kids (teens) needed to do that after a bad stomach bug a couple of yrs ago for a couple of days

marbles
03-31-2014, 07:33 AM
We've done the same. My only rule is for the day after a stomach bug they get plain-ish food, so nothing spicy or sweet or too complex, and they get it in small doses alternating with small doses of water or juice.

Ramee151
03-31-2014, 09:41 AM
Thanks Momma's
We aren't nursing.

Last puke was at 9:00 pm last night and she slept through from about 9:30pm (after we got cleaned up) to about 7:30 this morning.

She's been asking for pizza--I have said no--so I'm guessing she's feeling better :giggle

She's managed dye-free pedialyte (it was what I had on hand...) just fine so far. We have some good homemade applesauce that we can go to next.

Marrae
03-31-2014, 09:48 AM
Hope she's all better now!

Plain boiled rice and plain chicken breast is what we go for savoury-wise after illness.