PDA

View Full Version : Cod Liver Oil and Butter Oil for kids?

jandjmommy
03-18-2014, 07:29 AM
DD7's cavities started hurting her when she brushed in January (in Dec the dentist found 2 cavities between 2 of her upper molars). I can see it easily, but sometimes it looks grey and sometimes it looks clear. When I rub powdered probiotic on her teeth and gums before bed, the pain goes away.
I will not get her teeth drilled; if it comes to it, I'd consider having them pulled, but I'm still not clear on whether those teeth are permanent (not the very back tooth, but the two teeth in front of the back one) so I'm not sure what to do if they need to be pulled out.
I read Cure Tooth Decay and there is no way she can handle eating liver or any of the other yucky stuff he recommends. ETA she loves to drink chicken broth (organic homemade stock).
I have not found a source for raw dairy in Phoenix. I just bought Kerrygold butter, which she likes a lot. It's not raw, but it's grass fed.
I am having her take a bath with Epsom salts every night hoping to get more magnesium into her. The magnesium oil stings her so she won't use it.
I would give her cod liver oil but she can't swallow pills yet, and there is no way she would take something that tastes awful. Are there any high quality cod liver/fish oils that are palatable to kids?
What does the butter oil taste like?
She likes sprouts pretty well and we can get organic microsprouts from the farmer's market here (broccoli, sweet pea, and more). Would sprouts be just as good as raw pastured dairy? I'm thinking the point of the pastured dairy is to get the nutrients from the grass the cows eat - if she's basically eating the grass without the cow as middleman is that the same thing?
We're in Phoenix so she gets plenty of Vit D! :D
Is there a high quality Vitamin C you like that's chewable or liquid? We have the Now chewable C-500 (mostly sodium ascorbate and ascorbic acid) and Now Acerola powder (acerola and ascorbic acid) which I mix in water or smoothies (I guess she's not supposed to have fruit on the Cure Tooth Decay plan though :scratch).
I want her to do oil pulling (coconut) but she says I'll have to pay her because it's gross! (The texture, not the coconut flavor.)How do you get a little kid to do oil pulling?

SewingGreenMama
03-18-2014, 07:41 AM
My 6yo who is an extremely picky eater takes the butter/fermented cod liver oil mix in gel form.
We have the cinnamon tingle flavor. Though that was an accident, I meant to get the chocolate flavor. It really isn't bad and he drinks milk right after taking it and does just fine.
It's not the best taste but it is mild and easily dealt with with milk. They also halve capsules if she'll swallow pills.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WildFlower
03-18-2014, 07:43 AM
We tried cod liver oil and butter oil for our dd. She was only around 2 years old. She hated it. I don't blame her. The butter oil smells and tastes disgusting. It's not like butter , to me. It stinks. the cod liver oil I did hide in a smoothie and that worked for a while. Then I had to freeze the smoothie and put it in that before hand. That worked a ton better. They do make flavored cod liver oil and some people have better luck with that.

We ended up having her teeth "fixed" by a dentist and then using xylitol religiously for at least 6 months after. She has not had a reoccurance of any cavities since, and it's been almost 1 1/2 years now. So honestly, I dont' really trust natural methods to heal cavities. Her cavities only got worse during the period of time we tried to cod liver oil and butter oil and other natural stuff. I do believe xylitol has benefits of killing the bacteria that cause the cavities. It won't heal a cavity that is so deep it's below the enamel but it will kill the bacteria that causes the decay. There is some conflicting opinions on the xylitol but research is there on the xylitol.

mamacat
03-18-2014, 07:44 AM
Well the plai butter oil or ghee can be used ust like butter on veggies etc and then there are some flavors of FCLO

jandjmommy
03-18-2014, 07:58 AM
We tried cod liver oil and butter oil for our dd. She was only around 2 years old. She hated it. I don't blame her. The butter oil smells and tastes disgusting. It's not like butter , to me. It stinks. the cod liver oil I did hide in a smoothie and that worked for a while. Then I had to freeze the smoothie and put it in that before hand. That worked a ton better. They do make flavored cod liver oil and some people have better luck with that.

We ended up having her teeth "fixed" by a dentist and then using xylitol religiously for at least 6 months after. She has not had a reoccurance of any cavities since, and it's been almost 1 1/2 years now. So honestly, I dont' really trust natural methods to heal cavities. Her cavities only got worse during the period of time we tried to cod liver oil and butter oil and other natural stuff. I do believe xylitol has benefits of killing the bacteria that cause the cavities. It won't heal a cavity that is so deep it's below the enamel but it will kill the bacteria that causes the decay. There is some conflicting opinions on the xylitol but research is there on the xylitol.

She uses xylitol toothpaste and eats the Spry mints after meals (though I just read something that Spry uses a cheap/bad form of xylitol - not sure if that's true.) We'll continue that and I have some xylitol I can make into a mouth rinse.

---------- Post added at 07:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:56 AM ----------

My 6yo who is an extremely picky eater takes the butter/fermented cod liver oil mix in gel form.
We have the cinnamon tingle flavor. Though that was an accident, I meant to get the chocolate flavor. It really isn't bad and he drinks milk right after taking it and does just fine.
It's not the best taste but it is mild and easily dealt with with milk. They also halve capsules if she'll swallow pills.

Is it a gel capsule or gel as in slime?

---------- Post added at 07:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:57 AM ----------

Is it a gel capsule or gel as in slime?

squiddles
03-18-2014, 08:04 AM
They make both capsules and "slime" gel... I bought the chocolate flavored gel and my boys hate it so much... Honestly I do too, I actually gagged when I took my first taste and now I have two full bottles just sitting there :/

mamacat
03-18-2014, 08:16 AM
It can take quite awhile for cavity healing that is for sure and some say their kids love different flavors so have to try diff ones if one doesnt work I guess

LikeQuietDreams
03-18-2014, 08:41 AM
The caramel flavor is actually not bad at all taste wise, we bought 4 tubs when it was on sale. It's very mild. That being said, my kids prefer the cinnamon tingle version. My 5 year old specifically asked to go back to "the one that burns." :shifty

We hated the orange flavor. And I've heard that the chocolate flavor is death.

The banana flavor gets good reviews.

milkdud
03-18-2014, 09:42 AM
I add a scoop of honey for my kid who hates it. He takes it fine that way. For the organ meats like liver, it hides well mixed with ground beef. We followed the diet pretty strictly due to severe decay and it worked. :tu

mommychem
03-18-2014, 10:03 AM
The caramel flavor is actually not bad at all taste wise, we bought 4 tubs when it was on sale. It's very mild. That being said, my kids prefer the cinnamon tingle version. My 5 year old specifically asked to go back to "the one that burns." :shifty

We hated the orange flavor. And I've heard that the chocolate flavor is death.

The banana flavor gets good reviews.

:yes Chocolate flavor = death :yuck. My kids liked it at first. i called it their chocolate vitamin. And gave them chocolate milk after. But no, :yuck.

LikeQuietDreams
03-18-2014, 10:10 AM
For the organ meats like liver, it hides well mixed with ground beef. We followed the diet pretty strictly due to severe decay and it worked. :tu

Derail ahead: Can you tell me more about how you do this? I've never cooked w/ liver... ever.

Calitillman
03-18-2014, 08:13 PM
Get the citrus flavored cod liver oil, my siblings and I loved that as kids.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

milkdud
03-19-2014, 03:39 PM
Derail ahead: Can you tell me more about how you do this? I've never cooked w/ liver... ever.

Sure. I purée the liver raw and mix it into the raw ground beef. I don't really measure as my kids aren't picky. My friends have said they do a 1:4 pound ratio and it tastes fine. :) You can then make burgers or meatballs with other spices. Hth :)