PDA

View Full Version : Has anybody actually done the tetanus immunoglobulin thing?

melliethepooh
03-18-2014, 03:42 AM
Soooo. Last night there was a puncture wound in the family. Deep...like two inches. Old nail outside. It didn't bleed one tiny bit.

I don't want to wait to find out if it had tetanus on it or not :no we're going to the family doctor tomorrow. I'm sure he'll want to do a tetanus shot and I'd just prefer not if there's an alternative that won't break the bank.

So how much might the immunoglobulin route cost? Is it hard to get? Just trying to get a feeling for how hard I should push for it instead of the vax.

SouthPaw
03-18-2014, 04:57 AM
That thing is huge and huuurts :shiver

melliethepooh
03-18-2014, 04:58 AM
The immunoglobulin? :shifty

SouthPaw
03-18-2014, 05:04 AM
Yes, my DD got it once and she SHRIEKED like I have never seen on any other shots. It was awful. Sorry, I'm making it sound super scary :bag It's intramuscular.

melliethepooh
03-18-2014, 07:12 AM
Ok, well, good thing it's DH then :shifty

jenn3514
03-18-2014, 07:15 AM
We have done it with dd. I didn't notice any more crying than with other injections. She does have a high pain tolerance though. I can't speak for the cost though. Our insurance covered it as it was the only option at the time. Our dr.s did not have it, it was given at the ER.

PrincessAnika
03-21-2014, 06:32 PM
our Dr has it, they offered it in conjunction with dtap for dd1 when she cut her foot but bc it bled like a stuck pig i wasn't worried about it and turned it down.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk

cbmk4
03-21-2014, 06:40 PM
If you want a chance at preventing tetanus and the person has not gotten at least three doses of the tetanus vaccine, immunoglobulin is the only choice. The vaccine is often given in conjuction with the immunoglobulin only because it's an opportune time to begin or complete the primary series or update a needed booster.

As for cost, I would imagine that it is more costly than the vaccine but can't say that for sure. I doubt that most doctor's offices would carry it. An ER or urgent care would however.