PDA

View Full Version : Eucalyptus and kids /infants

Tandem mama
03-07-2014, 03:15 AM
It's been brought to my attention eucalyptus may be unsafe for infants.

If this is the case, is being near someone wearing it unsafe? (My deodorant contains it and Nolan is near that all the time) is application to the skin unsafe?

I use it on my girls all the time for congestion, Nolan is incredibly congested and I need to find something that works AND is safe for an 8 week old.

I see different opinions in different places on the web. Livestrong says to diffuse it for infants to breathe in. Webmd says it's not safe for any child. Another place says it's good on their feet and chest if they're over a certain age and good diffused at any age.

I need a certified aromatherapist to tell me!

milkdud
03-07-2014, 05:33 AM
Using essential oils safely on FB, is run by several aromatherapists, with zero financial gain and a great resource.

I'm not sure for an 8wk old, but Pine is generally suggested for the children to replace eucalyptus. Inhalation is the preferred choice. Plumbed even has a study saying it's best for resp problems. :tu If you choose to use it topically, there is a proper dilution that should be followed. I gotta find the link to it.

Tandem mama
03-07-2014, 05:35 AM
I just requested to join that group. Thanks for the direction!

Stiina
03-07-2014, 06:47 AM
Eucalyptus can slow their breathing due to the trigger it gives to your respitory system to clear it up.
I don't use it on.my kids but I used to.

Tandem mama
03-07-2014, 07:28 AM
I've used it. It's in my deoderatant. I'd NEVER been told it could cause issues.

milkdud
03-07-2014, 05:32 PM
I used eo's that were contraindicated for someone with previous seizure history. (One of my sons has seizures.) I specifically asked and was told they were fine. :( People don't mean to spread misinformation, but I have learned to really dig and ask qualified professionals.

I saw this today on FB and thought it was worth sharing. Plant therapy is typically conservative with oils. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=655813927789894&set=a.584433864927901.1073741825.439636486074307&type=1

It is a 2-6y suggestion. I'm having a hard time finding info for infants.

Tandem mama
03-07-2014, 06:30 PM
I'm going to change my deoderant formulation. I am going to get info from an aromatherapist, not oil salespeople or local hfs employees.

hollybells
03-07-2014, 07:01 PM
Eucalyptus can slow their breathing due to the trigger it gives to your respitory system to clear it up.
I don't use it on.my kids but I used to.

Thank you for posting this. :)

Stiina
03-08-2014, 06:02 PM
I'm home now: I wanted to add this but I had it written down.
It's because of "1,8-cineole". I don't know what that means but it is some part of the chemical makeup.
It's also in rosemary.

And peppermint and ylang is also not recommended for kids.

Which sucks because I used peppermint a lot whe Pip had fevers and it worked really well.

But I dunno really how bad it is. I dilute everything to a 1% ratio so are those dire warnings against people who think you are supposed to use it neat?

It's probably safe to put a 1% dilution on as a quick swipe. Most of my oils smell very faint,and you can even smell the coconut oil in some of them (lemon, for example...but my pepperming mix smells very peppermint).
And if that quick swipe is on the feet, it'd be even safer.

So if you are unsure of an oil, dilute it to 1 drop per tsp and only use it on feet. :heart

DancingWithElves
03-08-2014, 06:06 PM
thank you all for such great responses :heart

i used to be far more liberal with use of eo's. but even then i became careful with eucalyptus, b/c it's the only oil i ever reacted to :-/ it gave me intense contractions during pregnancy :shiver

Tandem mama
03-09-2014, 04:53 AM
I've decided to get well educated by actual aromatherapists as opposed to oil salespeople ;) I joined the fb group suggested above and I'm going to be much more cautious with my use of oils. I never realized they could be problematic. After all, "they're natural" :doh