PDA

View Full Version : what do you know about oral surgery

DancingWithElves
03-06-2014, 05:57 PM
I need to have oral surgery in the very near future (98% sure)

these are things i would like wisdom/info/advice/prayer on :)

1. picking oral surgeon. first i'm going to have a consult with a holistic dentist. she will do a very thorough (and expensive) exam, and come up with a treatment plan for all the problems.

2. problem #1 will most likely be impacted wisdom teeth

3. i'm concerned with picking a good oral surgeon. very concerned. i know it's the interwebz, but the sheer # of horror stories out there is :jawdrop i'm looking at yelp and google reviews. what else do i look for? :think

4. the idea of being "under" triggers PTSD just as badly as the idea of being awake for it :shiver what do i do? :pacing and what's a more polite way of asking "are you guys totally insensitive jerks by any chance; do you at all have a clue? can you work with a survivor in a competent and sensitive manner?" :shifty :question I need scripts. :yes

Soliloquy
03-06-2014, 06:48 PM
I had oral surgery twice but in my teens. :hug

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Sparrow
03-06-2014, 07:01 PM
I am terrified to be put under. I am also terrified of dental work. I had to have impacted wisdom teeth extracted about 10 years ago. I cried for hours beforehand.

I really had a good feel for the insensitive jerk or not by asking the dental assistants, and the dentist questions. Did they answer warmly? Did they seem kind and empathetic. I cried through talking about MAKING the appointment when I went into the office and the receptionist took my hand and handed me a tissue. I knew I'd be safe.

DH, who was my boyfriend at the time stayed through the whole surgery. He was just on the other side of the wall. When I started to wake up, someone was there with me. They took my hand and patted my head.

It was as good an experience as could be for what I had to go through.

As far as the scary stuff we can google - my OB that I had with Bear told me not to google anything. Because the scary stuff always gets attention. People are more likely to post a horror story than a good story. That makes me feel better.

DancingWithElves
03-06-2014, 07:22 PM
:ty3

Sparrow
03-06-2014, 07:56 PM
No problem.

Spoiler could be sensitive for you about my fear.

I was so scared to be put under because I know that sometimes people don't wake up. I actually prayed for God to forgive me and please please take me if I died :shifty. That's how big my fear is.

nanookmama
03-06-2014, 08:13 PM
Experienced, established dentists are used to being asked "how do you handle significant anxiety about being put under?"

You could also schedule something much less intensive to establish a relationship and test what happens when you say "wait, let's stop for a minute" I've been known to use cleanings or fillings for that purpose.

Facebook can also be a good place to crowd source info on kind practitioners. And, ask your holistic provider who she recommends. Or call a local dentistry school and see who they recommend. Or call a pediatrician or pediatric dentist and ask who they might recommend for impacted molars on a teen with anxiety or who was a survivor.

HTH

DancingWithElves
03-07-2014, 09:03 PM
oh mercy. today i went and read a bunch of horror stories on the interwebz. it was mostly accidental. :doh i did get some useful tips too :yes

sooooooo, whats up with all those people acting drunk and goofy afterwards? what exactly is the cause? :think i've seen many post-anesthesia patients and none were goofy like that :no excepting on kid going in for his tonsillectomy after they gave him something "to help relax" in pre-op. the anesthesiologist had to come back to check on him. i heard him saying: "you're gonna have to pull yourself together, i like a man who can hold his liquor" :sh5 :lol

anyways. i would not be ok at all if that happened to me :(

Dovenoir
03-07-2014, 09:16 PM
Versed reactions

Sent from my LT28at using Tapatalk

Dovenoir
03-07-2014, 09:32 PM
Sorry to post and run baby was crying like the lions had shown up in our bedroom.

Versed and Fentanyl are the typical anesthesia for dental clinics. Versed is aka truth serum.. Thus the reactions vary. (why, Idk, but I know a crna well)

Sent from my LT28at using Tapatalk

Chaos Coordinator
03-07-2014, 09:42 PM
i had several dentists tell me my wisdom teeth required surgery, one even said i needed IV sedation. then when i finally couldnt put it off any longer, our dentist at the time was like "what? for this? no." and was able to do it with local anesthetic.

so, are you completely positive it will require surgery?

---------- Post added at 10:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:35 PM ----------

when i had a panic attack before the second set was pulled, having just had a traumatic birth and then leaving my newborn for the sake of having this broken wisdom tooth removed which was very exposed and raw....she brought me some water, asked if i wanted to reschedule, and was very patient and kind :think i dont know how you find a dentist like that though, kwim? she was the sweetest, kindest dentist ive ever had.

DancingWithElves
03-07-2014, 10:01 PM
ok, yeah. i'll NEVER consent to getting versed. it doesn't actually help. it impairs your judgement so you can't advocate for yourself, and also impairs your memory (sometimes). the trauma still *HAPPENS* and esp. if you have a history, there will be a ptsd exacerbation and physical symptoms, etc... no-no-no-no :no

thanks, that explains so much.

i have a very very good feeling about this woman i am going to see. i'm really grounding myself and preparing to advocate for myself :yes

the teeth are not visible.
the pressure is CRUSHING. truly. it has been getting worse by the hour.
one of the back gums is elevated. there *no* room. none. i can fit exactly the very tip of my finger (width) b/w the jaw joint and the last tooth. say, 1/2 inch? it's probably sideways in there :pout

so. i'll just try to stay calm, munch all the motrin! ... i have to go to work tomorrow, but it's all paper/computer work only. so i'll be fine. then we have something nice planned sunday, i know it will go by quickly. i'm actually looking forward to seething the dr. :yes i feel i'll get some answers.

her first name is Bernice. cute, right? :)

Soliloquy
03-07-2014, 10:18 PM
My holistic dentist back in WI worked with a naturopath who used a biofeedback machine to test all the filling materials, anesthetics, and antibiotics to find the ones most compatible with me. Then they kept it on file. Don't know if that is in any way useful information :giggle but maybe your dentist could do something like that for you.

When I had my oral surgery back in the 90s I had IV sedation. I think it was valium? Anyway, I woke up just fine. No issues whatsoever.

I know it's scary. I just about had a cow when I had to have a tooth pulled as an adult. Then it was over and I wondered why I had worried so much. :hugheart