PDA

View Full Version : raw dairy + milk intolerance

lalani
02-19-2014, 04:49 PM
i thought there would already be a thread on this, but looked back and couldn't find one. so if you (or family) have a dairy intolerance and tried switching to raw, how did it go? were you able to incorporate dairy that had troubled you before? did symptoms lessen, disappear, or increase? was it a workable long term arrangement, and did you notice any benefits from it? what were you using before raw dairy (or if you switched away from it, what are you using now)?

just to clarify, i'm specifically asking about dairy intolerance and not dairy allergy, but i'd be curious to hear experiences with milk allergy too.

ashal has had issues with store bought dairy, but we are trying to switch to a farm-based, whole foods diet and there are some excellent raw dairy CSAs in our area. i'd like to know if there's a good chance of it helping him before we make a monthly commitment, though.

mamahammer
02-19-2014, 04:59 PM
I've never been able to drink milk or eat cereal with milk or ice cream or yogurt without feeling nauseous and getting constipated. My daughter gets internal hemorrhoids from dairy. But we can both drink raw milk in abundance without any issues.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

greengirl19
02-19-2014, 05:03 PM
we didn't get to try raw milk with G, but we definitely noticed that for a while raw cheese (truly raw, labels are getting very sneaky about this) was ok with him. We've figured out it's either dairy or grains for him and it's just easier right now to do grains and avoid dairy so we aren't doing any dairy at all.

When we first figured out that he was dairy sensitive we went completely free for a few months, but his overall eating habits were still pretty dismal. I learned about GAPS and we started that. I started raw cheese, usually goat cheese, and homemade GAPS yogurt (longer culturing time) with local vat pasturized milk. We did work hard to obtain raw milk a few times but due to the time of year the taste was pretty radical and wasn't worth the trouble. G was tolerating the cheese and yogurt well until we started working back in grains of any sort. I think the reality is he still has a sensitive gut and grains aggrevate it enough to make him not tolerate any dairy. He was starting to get sick from having yogurt and get a rash from the same goat cheese. We went back to dairy free and now I'm just to nervous to test his system again. I'm also dairy free, among other things, preventatively for my 5 month old.

Sundance
02-19-2014, 05:14 PM
:cup

I think a lot of it has to do with what component of the milk bothers you & your particular body chemistry.

I've heard of people who were lactose intolerant, but could handle raw dairy well.

I have 2 LOs with protein issues & raw doesn't make a difference for them :(

mwwr
02-19-2014, 05:37 PM
subbing out of curiosity, because dd is lactose intolerant. But it is an effort to find raw milk, since it requires crossing state lines. :sigh

mamacat
02-19-2014, 05:43 PM
My dd says she gets a bellyache from raw milk but doesnt from plain grass fed yogurt.You can try it.Goats milk is even more digestiblle

jenn3514
02-19-2014, 05:43 PM
DD is lactose intolerant and does raw dairy just fine.

mwwr- can you find a co-op in a neighboring state that delivers to your state? That is what we have to do here. Or cross state lines.

lalani
02-19-2014, 06:14 PM
i know we have some gut healing to do for all of us, but going full gaps is just not practical right now. i'm kind of hoping that, if the raw dairy goes over well, we'll be able to do some healing from the intolerances without going fully dairy free.

part of it is, too, that i'm really not excited about nut milks. :bag i don't mind the flavor, but we're not doing soy or grain, and every time i've tried unsweetened almond, coconut, hemp, rice, etc, i notice that i feel a lot hungrier and my sugar cravings go through the roof. also, i don't love the length of the list of ingredients on most nut milks i've found. :-/

greengirl19
02-19-2014, 07:23 PM
homemade almond milk is really yummy :) and comes with free almond flour! I didn't know that raw milk was supposed to help lactose sensitivity, not casein, that makes sense in our case.

ValiantJoy07
02-19-2014, 08:04 PM
We've recently decided we can't tolerate raw. :sigh we tolerate it waaaay better than any other dairy. But are not tolerating it well this winter. :scratch we are taking a break. We don't do alternative milks really...coconut a bit.

ArmsOfLove
02-19-2014, 08:31 PM
I started out with what today would be called an intolerance - it developed into an allergy - I cannot do raw milk, or yoghurt, or hard cheese, or even ghee :shrug3

Stiina
02-19-2014, 08:55 PM
Raw milk is ok for intolerance if your problem is the lactose.
Because raw milk still contains the enzymes that are killed in pasteurization. One of those enzymes is lactase, which helps digest lactose. Savvy?

But if your problem is the protein (casein), then raw won't make a difference.

lalani
02-19-2014, 10:34 PM
Raw milk is ok for intolerance if your problem is the lactose.
Because raw milk still contains the enzymes that are killed in pasteurization. One of those enzymes is lactase, which helps digest lactose. Savvy?

But if your problem is the protein (casein), then raw won't make a difference.

Thank you! This is what I was trying to figure out in my research, but I didn't come across anything that explained it so well. :)

Soliloquy
02-19-2014, 11:06 PM
You can also research A2 milk.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Sundance
02-20-2014, 05:23 AM
Oh, I was just coming here to ask if anyone had info. on the A1/A2 thing....

mamahammer
02-20-2014, 06:57 AM
Interesting. We can do raw milk, but can't do lactose-free milk. Or lactaid pills.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

mamacat
02-20-2014, 07:06 AM
One thing I have tried to do because have not been able to go full GAPS is to find the GAPs list of beyond intro foods and try and stick to foods from that.For instance there are only a couple of legumes that they list like lentils and white beans

Soliloquy
02-20-2014, 01:02 PM
I am very fortunate to have certified A2, grass-fed, raw milk right in the store. It is the most delicious milk ever. None of us are intolerant so I have no testimony on that aspect.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

ReedleBeetle
02-20-2014, 04:45 PM
Isaac is allergic ti A-1 beta-casein.....so if we could find A-2 raw he would probably be fine.

mamacat
02-20-2014, 04:47 PM
what is diff between A1 and A2?

ReedleBeetle
02-20-2014, 05:44 PM
They are just different proteins. A-1 causes reactions in a LOT of people and is the protein responsible for causing the opiod type dairy reactions in kids with autism. A-2 is the same Beta-casein found in goat and sheep milk. Here (http://www.snowvillecreamery.com/a1-and-a2-beta-casein-in-cow-milk.html)is a great link!

mwwr
02-21-2014, 02:01 AM
mwwr- can you find a co-op in a neighboring state that delivers to your state? That is what we have to do here. Or cross state lines.

The state line is very close. The place I have heard of is only a few minutes away--but the milk is sold out of a truck in a parking lot for only about 2 hours a week. Not exactly easy to remember. But there is a farm stand I pass often (though further away) which carries raw goat milk (which dd hated). I wonder if they would be willing to carry cow's milk? I'll try asking when it opens for the season.

mamacat
02-21-2014, 05:39 AM
also check places like Craiglist under Farm and garden and realmilk.com for sources