PDA

View Full Version : Salt Lamps, Beeswax Candles, and other Allergen Reducers??

Virginia
02-14-2014, 11:12 AM
My DH has allergies to dust, pollen, and cats. Poor guy is always sniffing, sneezing, and taking allergy medicine :(

I already have a HEPA vacuum and try to dust and clean as much as I can for him, but I'm looking into trying Himalayan salt lamps and/or beeswax candles to help purify the air a little bit. I'm getting mixed information, though :think

So, oh wise woman of GCM, tell me...
Do salt lamps and beeswax candles actually work?
Where do you get yours, if you have either product?
What other natural things can I try?

Other relevant information: We have a cat, we live in an apartment, and we're not rich, so I don't want to waste money on something that doesn't work, but I'm willing to spend up to $100 as an "initial investment" :giggle

Anecdotes welcome! :heart

JenLovie
02-14-2014, 11:15 AM
I have a salt lamp in my kitchen. I think it's beautiful and hopefully it helps. I don't know if it does, though. My allergies are always better when I'm getting regular chiropractic care.

Kiara.I
02-14-2014, 12:16 PM
:idea
Thanks, I know how I need to proceed with my DH's oncoming allergy season. :giggle
I have an essential oil vaporizer. He won't use oils. But in the vaporizer, he doesn't even notice. So, one allergy blend coming up. :giggle

lalani
02-14-2014, 12:22 PM
:cup

CelticJourney
02-14-2014, 12:27 PM
We have salt rocks. Unfortunately we purchased at a large craft fair, so I'll have to dig up the actual people we bought them from. I have a large basket of rocks at my desk and do notice a difference. The girls have noticed enough of a difference that one rock gets moved back and forth between rooms depending on who needs it and dd has asked me to purchase another at the spring fair.

It's not a 100% thing - everyone had their turn at a cold this winter.....but it was just the one, so I'm pleased. I'm looking forward to seeing how it works on the spring allergies for ds.

We also use eucalyptus oil in steaming water if someone is getting plugged up and that seems to help a lot.

mamacat
02-14-2014, 12:35 PM
There is also an alternative allergy medicine from Butterbur herb supposed to be as effective as OTC decongestants.Green nettles too

CelticJourney
02-14-2014, 12:41 PM
Oh....don't forget local honey. I am hugely blessed that I know a local mom who has a honey busiess that will barter with me. That might be a factor in how our winter has gone as well.

Virginia
02-14-2014, 05:45 PM
Does it have to be raw honey?

Thanks for all the feedback!

milkdud
02-14-2014, 05:50 PM
Yes, raw honey is best. Otherwise the live enzymes that heal are destroyed.

Quiteria
02-14-2014, 06:03 PM
How old is the cat? :duck

You're not going to like this suggestion, but the best thing that ever happened to my allergies was to rehome the cats and move to a petfree apartment. :bag At that time, my allergies were damagining my unborn child similar to if I had been smoking. :( Now, since your dh isn't pregnant, I'd wait for dh to outlive the cat, but seriously consider not having one in the future. :hugheart

---------- Post added at 08:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:00 PM ----------

The other major allergen reducing strategies we've used have been to reduce carpeting, curtains, fluffy comforters and upholstry, etc., to less fluffy, less porous versions such as hardwood, blinds, etc., that collect less dust and dander.

milkdud
02-14-2014, 06:14 PM
Wet dusting helps, allergy covers for pillows and mattresses, too.

Virginia
02-14-2014, 06:26 PM
Quiteria-The cat is almost three, and DH is super attached to her. No way on earth he'd get rid of her, even though I have suggested it before :yes He loves her so much, and she adores him... She's not going anywhere :no

In a future house, I definitely want hardwood :yes I hate having carpet.

Milkdud, I'll have to look into allergy covers :think

mamacat
02-14-2014, 07:00 PM
keeping humodity at 50% takes care of dust mites

Quiteria
02-14-2014, 08:20 PM
In theory, they make cat shampoo that is supposed to help...can't say we had much success getting our cat used to it, but...

CelticJourney
02-14-2014, 08:32 PM
Ironically, the quality of the cat food MIGHT help. Our dog trainer once said she reacts differently to dogs based on their diet. Might be something to look into :shrug3

Virginia
02-15-2014, 05:50 PM
Thank you! We do have some wipes we use on her, so maybe I'll look into some shampoo, too! Interesting about the diet, too; thank you :)

mamacat
02-15-2014, 07:32 PM
if she tolerates the wiping we wipe our dogs down with a mixture of water and white vinegar - just a bit on a cloth.Do you keep cat out of bedroom?

---------- Post added at 02:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:27 AM ----------

if she tolerates the wiping we wipe our dogs down with a mixture of water and white vinegar - just a bit on a cloth.Do you keep cat out of bedroom?

Maggirayne
02-15-2014, 07:40 PM
I have had the same allergies as your DH and going wheat-free helped me tremendously.

I forget the name of the product, an ionizer perhaps? I had friends who sold Shaklee and it made the dust have a opposite charge so it fell to the ground instead of being breathed.
I've always wanted to try one.

AngelaVA got a HEPA airfilter for her DD, and IIRC, it made a big difference for her.

Virginia
02-15-2014, 08:39 PM

---------- Post added at 02:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:27 AM ----------

That is a great suggestion :yes

To be completely honest, I try to keep her out because when DH's allergies are bothered, he snores (and then I can't sleep...), but he adores the cat and loves when she curls up on the bed with him while he's on his iPad or reading or whatever :doh

I will have another conversation with him to see if we can make it happen, though :yes And out of curiosity- what does the vinegar do? I'll totally try it :rockon

I have had the same allergies as your DH and going wheat-free helped me tremendously.

I forget the name of the product, an ionizer perhaps? I had friends who sold Shaklee and it made the dust have a opposite charge so it fell to the ground instead of being breathed.
I've always wanted to try one.

AngelaVA got a HEPA airfilter for her DD, and IIRC, it made a big difference for her.

What kind of research did you do to figure out wheat free would help with other allergies (sinus stuff)? I'd love to show him an article or something! I'd never imagine the two would be connected.

Looking into HEPA airfilters now; thank you! :heart

Quiteria
02-15-2014, 09:36 PM
Maybe he could start curling up on the couch to read with the cat. ;) If he could keep the bed cat free, it would go a long way...sleeping is supposed to be 1/3 of your day, and where your body rests and heals. :yes Bedrooms are definitely the first place to prioritize changes.

I'm going to guess that the wheat thing is a matter of total allergy load...not that wheat and cats are related, but the more your body is reacting to multiple allergens...the more it's reacting. If he successfully reduces other allergens in his life, the cat might not bother him as much as when he's reacting to the cat AND the dust AND pollen AND wheat, dairy, etc.

DancingWithElves
02-15-2014, 09:40 PM
most ppl don't get enough salt. it takes a lot. if you have tall ceilings we're talking a major slab sitting close to where you sleep/work. :) i do believe they are effective for a variety of respiratory issues.

beeswax candles--i use them for candles,not for health effects. really i would not bother, unless you specifically notice a positive effect.

consider an air filter?

Virginia
02-15-2014, 09:56 PM
Quiteria, I totally agree with you :yes Thank you <3 It's hard when I suggest changes that will help him feel better and he doesn't want to listen :(

Irene, do you have a salt lamp or just a salt slab? And where did you get it, if you remember? :)

I'll absolutely look into an air purifier...they're kind of pricey, so may have to wait until the tax refund comes back.

mamacat
02-16-2014, 06:06 AM
we have some fairly inexpensive room sized air filters from honey Well that have HEPA and then a charcoal filtration that has to be changed fairly often that also has a built in neg ION charger that can be run as well or not. The vinegar cleans off dander and any pollen or dust brought in from outside and just makes them less allergenic

JenLovie
02-16-2014, 08:04 AM
I am greatly healthier when I remove gluten and dairy. I have been lax since getting pregnant because of laziness and needing to eat something (so I went with what sounded good). I have a cold that is hanging on (slightly runny nose, infrequent cough) after three weeks. If I weren't so picky about what sounds good, I'd cut the gluten and dairy back out.

CelticJourney
02-17-2014, 07:27 PM
Found it! My salt rocks were purchased from www.TheBhaktiHouse.com